320d (177bhp) vs 320i (170bhp)

SiAudiSline

I have a choice of both as a new company car on a four year lease, the diesel will cost me an extra £700 pounds a year in tax/contributions, I will do around 12K miles per year.

Is the diesel worth the extra??

What sort of average do they give mpg wise in the real world?

Any feedback much appreciated.

That's strange, as the 320d will have a much better residuals, hence should work out cheaper on a four year lease overall.

Who pays the fuel - you or the company? If it's the company direct, then I have to confess the petrol would be the no-brainer. Shame.

Woppum is right but again the petrol is 2% less than the diesel for BIK and its also £2k cheaper so you will pay less tax. But don't forget anything you do pay extra will reduce your tax bill as well. 169144-ok.gif The BMW site itself has a good calculator on it. smile.gif

NO NO NO! I have owned a 320d, and had the (dis)pleasure of driving the new 320i for 3,000 miles. It's worse than the 320d in every way. No torque, slower overall, pants fuel economy, doesnt even sound nice, doesnt like to rev.... I cant tell you how much I disliked the engine - and this coming from somneone who 12 months ago hated diesels and had never owned one before.

Drive both before ordering.....

Hold on, I don't get this, how is the diesel costing you £700 a year more than the petrol in BIK tax?

The 320d sport is £169 a month in tax for a 40% taxpayer.

The 320i sport is £149 a month for a 40% tax payer.

For a 22% taxpayer that drops to around £88 for the diesel and less than a tenner saved for going petrol.

Who has told you it is £700 a year more?

By the way - not sure if you get a fuel card - or how much is business miles, but the 320d will give you well over 40mpg and you wont get much more than 30mpg out of the 320i, so dont forget to factor that in (plus the fact diesel is a little more at the pumps too).

12,000 @ £5 per gallon @ 32mpg gallon is £1875.

12,000 @ £5 per gallon @ 42mpg gallon is £1428.

So the diesel wont save you heaps on fuel costs - but personally I think it is a much nicer engine.

That figure is not just tax.

I'm looking at the SE special editions, The tax cost is £21 a month extra for diesel because of the 3% loading and higher list price, and the diesel lease personal contribution is an extra £25 per month over the petrol, so its a difference of about £550 per annum or £2200 more over 4 years.

For a further £25 pm lease contribution on top of the 320d se edition I can have a 320d MSport special edition.

Thanks for all the replies.

I hadnt factored fuel/mpg differences to that extent...the cost difference therefore sounds negligible.

I did try a 318i which was perfectly okay if a little short on grunt, it sounds as though the 320i is in a similar vein.

Think I'll bite the bullet and go for the diesel!

I think alot of it depends on what you are used to driving. If you are used to the mid range touque of a diesel you will most probably hate the lack of it in the petrol and if you are used to a reletively small petrol then you will be none the wiser.

I would plump for the diesel. Very impressive engine that.

Matt

They are both alright to be honest, the 320i really isn't all that lacking in the latest guise, it is quicker than the E46 328i to put it into perspective.

You really need to take them and decde for yourself, I have gone from a 335i to a 320d and not found it lacking, of course there aree times when I would like to have a faster car, but for everyday driving and overtaking etc. I haven't yet felt it was missing something.

In preference I would take...

320d M-Sport

320i M-Sport

318d M-Sport

320d SE

320i SE

318d SE