Stop the Cock - Now's our chance!

AyKay

With the news that the BBC will have F1 from 2009, (a thing of much joy, I feel, for all except ITV) we need to make it abundantly clear that they should UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES give the whiny, sycophantic skull-explodingly annoying tit a job. Be sure to comment on the story at the BBC site whe it opens for business at 9am. For Justice!

Incidentally, it's interesting that apparently Bernie approached the beeb about the deal. Maybe he was tired of having his Sunday afternoons ruined by his nasal cockisms?

Can we hope that Brundle stays though? I personally like his commentary; you can almost hear him sighing in desperation at the beginning of each grand prix as Allen screams across another "red lights out" moment...

And yet... and yet (*cowers in corner* for fear of flaming) I can't help but feel a touch sorry for Allen. I've just read the comments on the BBC's 606 and some of them are downright full of hatred and vitriol, and not just towards Allen.

I'd like to gently point out to him that we don't all enjoy his commentary, and perhaps he could change his style (maybe to "near silent") or let Brundle be the main commentator - I don't understand why Allen feels the need to fill every spare second with comments, and thus we get the feeling that Brundle is sidelined.

I know Goodman's interviews have as much depth as Heat magazine, but what else is she supposed to ask a driver who's just stuffed his million-pound-a-go car in the wall other than, "So, how do you feel?" Unless of course you're Crazy Dave and give a truthful answer, which then gets edited out of the rerun.

I like Kravitz in the pit lane - he seems to be where the action is most of the time, and sometimes picks up on things more quickly than the lagged team radio we get as viewers.

As for fronting the coverage, perhaps I was the only one who liked Jim Rosenthal, but I really can't think at the moment who I'd like to front it.

Besides, I'm supposed to be working.

[ QUOTE ]

Can we hope that Brundle stays though? I personally like his commentary; you can almost hear him sighing in desperation at the beginning of each grand prix as Allen screams across another "red lights out" moment...

And yet... and yet (*cowers in corner* for fear of flaming) I can't help but feel a touch sorry for Allen. I've just read the comments on the BBC's 606 and some of them are downright full of hatred and vitriol, and not just towards Allen.

I'd like to gently point out to him that we don't all enjoy his commentary, and perhaps he could change his style (maybe to "near silent") or let Brundle be the main commentator - I don't understand why Allen feels the need to fill every spare second with comments, and thus we get the feeling that Brundle is sidelined.

I know Goodman's interviews have as much depth as Heat magazine, but what else is she supposed to ask a driver who's just stuffed his million-pound-a-go car in the wall other than, "So, how do you feel?" Unless of course you're Crazy Dave and give a truthful answer, which then gets edited out of the rerun.

I like Kravitz in the pit lane - he seems to be where the action is most of the time, and sometimes picks up on things more quickly than the lagged team radio we get as viewers.

As for fronting the coverage, perhaps I was the only one who liked Jim Rosenthal, but I really can't think at the moment who I'd like to front it.

[/ QUOTE ]

169144-ok.gif Spot on. I liked old Jim too. Whatever happened to Beverley Turner? confused.gif

What if we all love Martin Brundle simply because James Allen is his co-presenter? And if James Allen leaves, who do we hate then? Let's face it, not everything can be blamed on Bernie & Max. Nor politicians & lawyers, for that matter.

No, no; you're absolutely right, let's set him on fire.

Johan Buchner

I feel sorry for you lot. I haven't experienced the "Allen effect", but it sounds terrible - we get F1 on Speed - commentators are Bob Varsha, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett - and they do a great job. Hobbs and Varsha can be extremely funny, and very sarcastic at times - wonderful stuff. Towards the end of the season it actually gets better, to the point they actually catch themselves and have to get back "on topic".

Hopefully the Beeb will put some sense back into F1 coverage in the motherland!

As far as i know Murray has said, "Never say never," but nothing more indicative than that. He's a wily old fox and know how not to rule something out without entirely ruling it in. I don't doubt he's tempted, but the reality of the job - particularly at his age (and yes I know he's fitter than most people half that age) - is pretty harsh.

After ITV dumped Jardine for the 2007 season, hopefully the BBC dump Allen for the 2009 season. Goodman never fails to find the drivers ridiculously quickly as they come back after shunts. Brundle and Blundell are ex-F1 drivers (obviously) and I think it would be good to see them carried over. Rider is great because he is absolutely perfect live, reeling off live links like they are from a meticulously planned script and without a sible pause, urrrrm or stutter. I didn't like Rostenthal in the slightest. Riders contract is for ITV as a whole though I guess, whereas the rest of the team are employed solely for F1. Despite looking like the paedophile from Con Air, I also vote Edwards to be in the com' box with Brundie next year, with Kravitz and Goodman reporting from the pitlane.

Um, yeh, Australia was possibly a blip for Allen (he was less annoying), and I did feel for him after the mauling on BBC 606.

But I watched the Malaysian Grand Prix this weekend and I retract my earlier comments. In the end I had to watch the highlights as I couldn't stand it, and even then I decided not to listen to the commentary.

Sorry James Allen, but I think the public have spoken....

The Malaysian Grand Prix was torture thanks to James Allen. I enjoyed the race and the action. But James Allen's commentry was abismal. I really hope this is tha last season we have to tolerate him now that it is switching back to the BBC. I can only assume that no one from ITV actually enjoys watching F1, why else would they allow the mindless moron to continue ruining viewers enjoyment of the sport?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my good man no, no and again, no. Allen simply has to go. The only way I could countenence his appearance on the Beeb would be to use him to help launch the race by having him spreadeagled above the grid, and as the lights go out have Charlie Whiting ram a hot poker into his rear - "And the XXXX Grand Prix is GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!"

Louise Goodman and her insipid post-retirement drivel must likewise be expunged from the sport - personally I would think that allowing Crazy Dave to repeatedly vent his frustration at retiring on her in a most physically violent manner should do the trick.

Finally, Jim Rosenthal? The man was appalling, sat twiddling his fingers and endlessly repeating the same nonsense questions ("So, what about those Ferrari's?" "So, what about those McLarens?" "So, what about those [insert team name here]?") desperately hoping for some of the others in the studio will have something interesting to add. No, we are better off without him too.

But sadly life cannot be all vitriol and hatred (a shame I know), so some constructive thoughts.

Anchor position I think will likely be Richard Hammond, which while I am not wild on could be OK. James Allen could be replaced by Peter Windsor, teamed with Brundle ofc. Louise Goodman, well I am unsure that she warrants replacement to be honest, maybe give that job to Kravitz.

The undeniable fact of the matter though is that the pube-mopped stat-dribbling mountain of effluent that is Allen MUST NOT BE HIRED!

[ QUOTE ]

Oh my good man no, no and again, no. Allen simply has to go. The only way I could countenence his appearance on the Beeb would be to use him to help launch the race by having him spreadeagled above the grid, and as the lights go out have Charlie Whiting ram a hot poker into his rear - "And the XXXX Grand Prix is GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, which is why I retracted my earlier comments. I could of course edit them retrospectively but then that would just make us look like plonkers who don't read threads and posts.

I wasn't recommending that Louise Goodman actually go to BBC (although I quite like the idea of Vicky Butler-Henderson in the pit lane) but just pointed out that I'm not sure what anyone else would ask.

[ QUOTE ]

Anchor position I think will likely be Richard Hammond, which while I am not wild on could be OK. James Allen could be replaced by Peter Windsor, teamed with Brundle ofc. Louise Goodman, well I am unsure that she warrants replacement to be honest, maybe give that job to Kravitz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Presumably this was printed in some quality paper last weekend. Richard Hammond fronting the F1 coverage? I think not. I really like him on TG, and his book, which I am currently reading, is interesting, but I get the feeling he probably doesn't care too much about F1. I seem to vaguely recall an episode of TG when Jeremy Clarkson was talking about Sunday afternoons and how he falls asleep in front of the Grand Prix and Richard Hammond commented that it was no surprise, or similar. I have absolutely no idea what the TG team do when they're not on screen (except for some script editor writing "orangey-based lame gaggery"...), but presumably they're filming lots of things, so is he not going to be a bit busy to front the coverage?

I'm not a big fan of the race build-up in general, but I do like Brundle's grid walkabout. I especially like it when he comes face to face with some celebrity and has no idea what to ask them, as though he has no idea why they are there - Brundle is far more interested in getting to the drivers, which must be a tough job just before a race.

Incidentally, does Brundle still manage DC?

I belive that 'Trundle' does still manage DC. However, as everyone knows, DC is finished. He was recently moaning about the withdrawal of tyre-warmers for '09. Why should he worry? He won't be on the grid anyway.

Ideal commentary and pit lane line up on BBC F1 would be:

Commentary - Trundle and the most excellent Ben Edwards

Anchor Man - Autosport's Henry Hope-Frost

Pit Lane - Martin Haven

Sorted! <font color="blue"> </font>

Shows how different people can react in different ways. I've always found Brundle to be really down-to-earth, not smug at all. I've only rarely noticed him mentioning his F1 career. He did mention it in Australia, which was relevant, because he was talking about the dangers of the corner where he had his legendary crash.

You put "racing" in quotes, by which I take it that you're implying that Brundle was no good as a driver. That's something I'd have to disagree with. He put in strong performances with often pretty uncompetitive machinery, and came off well against team-mates that included Senna, Schumacher and Hakkinen.

You think Brundle stands comparison with Scumacher? And Senna?! Brundle simply was never in the same class as them, at best he was a second-rate journeyman. To compare him to the Gods of F1 is nothing short of heresy. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Only Prost can be compared to Senna - No-one else comes close. Not even Schumacher - he never had the quality competition that helped concentrate Senna's mind.

Really, some people! Go wash your keyboard out with soap.

Johan Buchner

Brundle hardly embarrassed himself against those drivers. He was a good quality F1 pilot, and a solid teammate. Probably would never have won the F1 WDC, but don't forget he had plenty of success in sportscars after F1.

What's more relevant to this, as an expert analyst Brundle is knowledgeable and eloquent - precisely what you need in the box when there's a numbnut commentator next to you.

[ QUOTE ]

You think Brundle stands comparison with Scumacher? And Senna?! Brundle simply was never in the same class as them, at best he was a second-rate journeyman. To compare him to the Gods of F1 is nothing short of heresy. You should be ashamed of yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that's not quite what I said, but now you come to mention it...

Brundle's performances against his team-mates demonstrate that he was a good F1 driver. Not that he was equal to the very best perhaps, although he regularly beat Senna in more junior formulae, I seem to remember.

[ QUOTE ]

Only Prost can be compared to Senna - No-one else comes close. Not even Schumacher - he never had the quality competition that helped concentrate Senna's mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you're saying is that Senna was helped, yet though Schumacher wasn't helped to concentrate his mind, he was somehow inferior. Don't follow that contradiction, I'm afraid.

[ QUOTE ]

Really, some people! Go wash your keyboard out with soap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shan't.