Creaking Front Suspension...!!!

matbell67

Receently l noticed on my 2005 GTI (DSG), creaking from the front suspension on cold days. I booked it into local VW dealer for investigation. I was surprised to find that they had diagnosed the fault as being the lower control arm bushes. VW fixed this by replacing both front lower control arms under warrently. Brilliant. No more squeeking. Apparently, speed humps (which there are loads of in SW London)are the culprits for my worn bushes. jump.gif

That's interesting, i've recently noticed mine starting to creak (mostly in the morning when pulling into a space at work), it's only 14 months old, 21k miles but I have to go over 6 speed bumps into work and 6 back out every day and a couple of them are not very forgiving.

Might monitor it a bit more now...

I was told that my front anti-roll bar links were replaced when I took it in to the dealer just after the first year of warranty.

It started to make a noise again a few weeks ago, a year later - cold mornings when setting out on a run.

The dealer could find nothing wrong.

To be fair it has not made the noise since it went in.

But I've taken out an extended warranty - just in case!

(I bet they exclude arb bushes ... smile.gif )

ludwig

• 4 weeks later...

I first saw this thread a few weeks back and took an interest because I get a creaking sound too.

Well, my GTI is in for a service today and so I reported the creaking. Lo and behold, my bushes need replacing too. All under warranty, which is good.

I'd love to be able to send the bill to York City Council. York is apparently the speed hump capital of Europe or something.

I was told that my front anti-roll bar links were replaced when I took it in to the dealer just after the first year of warranty.

It started to make a noise again a few weeks ago, a year later - cold mornings when setting out on a run.

The dealer could find nothing wrong.

To be fair it has not made the noise since it went in.

But I've taken out an extended warranty - just in case!

(I bet they exclude arb bushes ... smile.gif )

ludwig

Most extended warranties would not cover bushes as they are wear and tear.

Most extended warranties would not cover bushes as they are wear and tear.

I wonder what the situation is in terms of how liable councils are for wear and tear on suspension. The number of speed humps in York is a joke, and I have no doubt that they contribute to premature wear. The roads themselves are in a pretty bad state, plus even some of the speeds humps have potholes!

• 2 months later...