Milltek resonated or non-resonated?

sburke1

Mook is the best person to answer this since he has had both.

I have a resonated cat-back system. It is louder than the OEM system, especially outside, but not a huge amount louder inside the car. I wouldn't consider a non-res now, because my air induction kit makes it sound even more throaty & it is plenty loud enoughn IMHO.

I have little doubt that there will be others here who feel that the non-res is just a bit too anti social! I believe that one or two have had their collars felt because of it...

AFAIK the non-resonated won't give you any more power than the resonated either.

HTH 169144-ok.gif

[Res is slightly quieter that stock

Reason I want a Milltek is that i'd like to enhance the sound that VW's stock exhaust will give. The fact that the resonated may be quieter than the stock would surely defeat the purpose of choosing it in the first place? Would Milltek not be conscious of this themselves?

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Reason I want a Milltek is that i'd like to enhance the sound that VW's stock exhaust will give. The fact that the resonated may be quieter than the stock would surely defeat the purpose of choosing it in the first place? Would Milltek not be conscious of this themselves?

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When on full throttle, the resonated still sounds great don't get me wrong. But Milltek designed it to reduce the booming sound that you get with stock at around 2,500rpm along with increasing performance. The fact that they brought the non-res out is a good indication that they too reasised that the resonated was maybe a little too quiet grin.gif

When I was talking to Ed at APS to arrange the installation of my Milltek he told me that Milltek were quite likely to withdraw the non-resonated for the Mk V .:R32 as a large percentage of the units sold had been returned.

I went for a resonated cat back and I wouldn't want it any louder than it is. I certainly don't find my resonated cat back quieter than stock. At idle the sound inside teh cabin is a fair bit deeper and when you're giving it the beans it sounds more raspy and metallic.

I've been going through the same thought process on my car...have a chat with Phil Millington at Milltek and he'll tell you what he thinks

I'm also a bit concerned about the non-res being slightly insane but he told me they would happily swop out the centre sections for me if I couldn't live with it 169144-ok.gif

Hi Brisel beerchug.gif

All good thanks - the RS is a monster! How's the R32? Better since the coil pack problems?

I just feel the RS is a little too reserved in the exhaust note department out of the box unless you are really spanking it (not a feeling I had about the Mk V R32 though - which I think sounds just luverly as it is) and decided that if I was going to spend the best part of £2k on an exhaust system then I wanted it to be (really fecking) loud grin.gif

I have gone for the valved system though to try and avoid a few issues such as droney motorway cruising and, as Mook alludes to above, people in town thinking that you are a barry with a halfrauds backbox! slap.gif

A Barry with a Halfords back box? Nope - maybe a Premiership footballer with a pop star girlfriend & poor hearing!

jump.gif

Coil packs all sorted now cheers. I changed all 6 in the end. An air induction kit & Milltek cat back sorted my exhaust problems out nicely.

Just a trip to see the boys at APS for a remap & the job is complete! Well, for now anyway. Where's that supercharger... grin.gif

beerchug.gif

• 2 weeks later...