Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eallin

Wanted: A2 1.4tdi - poss swap for A4 Avant 1.9tdi

16 posts in this topic

As it says really, anything considered. Looking to downsize to save on fuel and road fund license costs. More details of my car available upon request.

Thanks muchly,

Ed.

shame you dont want a 1.6 A2 - as I'm looking for an A4 tdi for my commute.

Sorry, needs to be the 1.4tdi...£35 a year tax and fuel economy is a must! Not saying the A4 Avant is bad, I love the space for family weekends away, but 90% of the time it's just little old me. Thanks though.

Just make sure it's not an early 2000/2001 1.4TDi as they're not £35 a year tax despite still having a CO2 output of 119, only post 1st March 2001 cars get in Band B.

Don't expect more economy wise from the 1.4tdi mate, I had one and it was worse than my 3 1.9tdi audis and alot worse than the 2.0tdi A3.

Unless you can be very strict and keep at 65mph it is not as economical as you would expect.

Over 10,000 miles in 5 months mine returned 44.1 mpg (51mpg on the DIS).

I was very disappinted with that.

65mph on teh motorway return around 58mpg on the dis, but going to 80mph it was down to around 43mpg.

I only did 2 complete tank fuls round town, with no motorway driving at all, and it was showing 36mpg, so probably a real world 33??

Don't buy it thinking you are going to save money in fuel, you will be disappointed.

I think there must have been something wrong with yours then. Leeds - Bristol with danksy at full steam ahead including the Fosse Way and several questionable overtakes = 67mpg or something stupid, can't remember exactly what it was.

Would agree with that - I had one as a courtesy car for a couple of weeks while my B6 A4 1.9TDI was in for some bodywork repairs, back in '03. On my commute (at the time) of roughly 50 miles each way on A/B roads the A4 returned around 46mpg, and the A2 managed high 50's 169144-ok.gif Refinement was somewhat lacking, compared to the A4, but all in all I thought it was a great little car.

We did look at buying one just after launch, but at the time they were silly prices - I seem to remember that an SE with a few options came in at around £18k!! Of course, that was before the launch of the MINI, whose options pricing made Audis seem reasonable grin.gif

Peter

Mine was the 90bhp version, I thought that might have made a difference, but borrowed a 75bhp over a weekend while mine was looked at and that was returning the same, or as close as it needed to think that mine was actually alright.

If you stuck to 65-70mph it was economical, but if you are someone that drives at 80+ most of the time, it is not the best option imho.

Seemed a lot of people on the A2 forum said the same thing too, not that they were terrible or anything, just that coming from another VAG tdi they were a little disappointed.

I think most people saw the 65mpg on the combined cycle and that was the main reason they bought it, then when they struggled to get this, even taking it very easy on motorways and were only seeing late forties early fifties it was a bit gutting. Then realising the DIS was a a good 10-15% out was even more annoying! smile.gif

Fortunately I've never relied on the DIS for Audis; for some reason it's much more inacurate than the BMW OBC confused.gif

On full tank to full tank basis over 2 weeks (almost 2k miles IIRC) I remember averaging far more than on the A4, though because of the small tank the range was less I think. Given that the A4 needed front tyres every 13k miles I think my driving style could best be described as 'press on' grin.gif

However, my commute did not include any motorway travel at all...

Peter

Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems I need to consider a little more carefully before making the move...not that I've had any offers yet!

Cheers,

Ed.

[ QUOTE ]

Over 10,000 miles in 5 months mine returned 44.1 mpg (51mpg on the DIS).

[/ QUOTE ]

I am suprised at that as mine averaged for my Mrs Commute (140 miles round trip - soem dual carriage way, no motorway) 47mpg from the 1.6, and I see late mid 30s cold start school run around town.

We've got a 1.4 Petrol A2 and more than happy with the consumption tbh. It's an SE so no DIS to check mpg on but I will make a note of what we get manually over the next few weeks just to compare to the above.

It is used solely around town, with the odd trip of around 75 miles each way, every other month roughly.

What I am a tad dissappointed with is the variable servicing. We have had it for nearly 2 years and got 2 years free servicing deal. Its got 200 miles til service on the screen and just booked it in locally before the free period ends. Anyway, we have managed to do roughly 4,500 miles between the last service and now!

I know its round town, but surely it should be a larger span of miles between services?

Not necessarily.. it all depends on the quality of the oil which is how the car determines if it needs servicing or not. Town driving and lots of short trips are much worse for the engine than a long cruise up the motorway - plus also 2 years is the maximum interval between services so it would need doing now regardless of how many miles you'd covered.

[ QUOTE ]

We've got a 1.4 Petrol A2 and more than happy with the consumption tbh. It's an SE so no DIS to check mpg on but I will make a note of what we get manually over the next few weeks just to compare to the above.

It is used solely around town, with the odd trip of around 75 miles each way, every other month roughly.

What I am a tad dissappointed with is the variable servicing. We have had it for <u>nearly 2 years</u> and got 2 years free servicing deal. Its got 200 miles til service on the screen and just booked it in locally before the free period ends. Anyway, we have managed to do roughly 4,500 miles between the last service and now!

I know its round town, but surely it should be a larger span of miles between services?

[/ QUOTE ]

Services are due every two years regardless of low mileage aren't they?

I never trusted the DIS on mine, and worked it out on a spreadsheet (geek huh!) Even flat out it would return high 40's. Mine was remapped by starperformance and was actually quite good fun to drive, but it couldn't keep up with Mssrs Carter and Big Al in their. 4.2's on the way to the South West meet 18 months or so ago lol.gif

Ben it was 63mpg on the DIS, which actually was about 5% outon the A2 169144-ok.gif