New BMW iPhone snap-in cradle adaptor available

After waiting to see if BMW would launch one, I've just ordered one from my local dealer.

I stumbled upon the new adaptor after checking the list on the BMW website... then did a google and found the info on the www.m5board.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a few bits taken from SCOOPZ post... thanks 169144-ok.gif

BMW part number 84-10-9-182-792 costing £59.99.

Installation is...well I wouldn't even call it installation, press down on the snap-in eject button, the old Nokia 6230i cradle pops out, snap-in the the new one...I'd say 10 seconds at most!

First impressions are good, feels heavy, solid and robust, the pop up spring mechanism when you eject also feels sturdy yet smooth. You position the lower edge of the phone in the adapter and then press on the top edge of the screen to lower the phone down until it locks in place. There is a small plastic lip that then pops out to lock the top of the phone down. To remove the iPhone simply press the eject button and the top lip slides back and the phone lifts up at an angle for easy access. At first I had to press several times and with some force to get the eject mechanism to work but it's much easier now once it's been used a couple of times and things have "freed up".

The snap-in charges the phone and connects it to the external antenna of the car. I've NEVER noticed any signal difference on any of the phones I've ever owned with BMW/Nokia car kits using external aerials but this is more likely due to strong signal everywhere I go. There aren't any areas I can think of where i'd normally have little to no reception to test if there is any gain using the external antenna.

NOTE - the snap-in does nothing other than listed above [charge and aerial], it does NOT offer a hard-wired connection to the iDrive, the connection between phone and iDrive has been and always will be bluetooth. Several people have also wandered if this would allow you to access the iPod features on the iPhone through the stereo but it DOESNT.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I have a seperate 80GB iPod Classic that I have connected to iDrive, so the adaptor not connecting the iPhone doesn't bother me at all.

Fortunatly, the E60 ashtray provided the almost perfect placemet for an iPhone (just press the cigar lighter down hard to lock it in place, then the iPone just drops in nicely), but now I can keep the phone charged too.

Cheers

Paul

• 1 year later...

Ahh, was just googling this and lo and behold, look who comes up.

Looks good - £50 from BMW I understand. the bit I don't get is does it replace the USB connection - i.e. the AUX connection?

Or do I somehow still need to use the USB cable I currently use?

I can't remember why you said you couldn't sell it to me either - seeing as you drive an Audi now :P

• 4 weeks later...