The missus needs a new car

Biscuits

Chaps,

The wife has a Subaru Forester 2.0 Turbo Auto.... and we kind of like it... but it drinks petrol and we really don't need tow big car now The Forester was bought when I had the 996, as the sensible family car... now I have that! UHOH7.GIF

One thing I'm stumped on is the engine range in the pre-face lift 1-series.

Looking to spend around £15k, but have no idea which engine to get. She does less than 10k miles a year, so is diesel the right option..?

I quite fancy a 130i Sport, but not sure the budget will stretch... and hang on... why are we selling the Forester again???

Does anyone have the model range specs handy? 118d vs 120d, etc... Sport vs M Sport

Cheers

Paul

To give you an idea of prices I looked just before Xmas at a 120 D M Sport facelift model with the 177bhp engine. Registered July 2007 with only 3k miles, would have cost about 17k from a main dealer. A few more miles and maybe a latest model would fall into your budget.

Or........my previous car, a Golf GTI. Sold my 2006 model with only 8k for exactly your budget a few weeks ago. Fantastic car.

I would seriously consider a 177bhp 120d m-sport.

The mpg is fantatsic, I bet you put 3 tankfuls in a month costing around £70 a fill in the forester if she is doing 10k miles a year.

The 120d 177 would be a fill up every two weeks at under £50 a go, so a saving of around £100 a month even on that low mileage.

Some of the tuning boxes are now taking that car to around 225bhp too, so nice and nippy, and as quick as the 130i but with 2x the mileage from a tankful.

The 163bhp version will do about 40mpg, so about 20% behind the facelift, but still better than the forester by quite a margin. You would need to get it a fair bit less to save £100 a month in payments.

The 118d is also 143bhp now too, it falls into the sub 120g/km bracket too, so it will be £35 a year to tax.

It will do 50+ mpg easily.

That will tune to around 200bhp, so worth considering.

Thanks guys... I've mentioned the 120d MSport, Golf GTi and Megan Sport and she wants to "have a look and sit in them to see if I like them"

I think with the tuning options on the 120d, it's my prefered option... but really would prefer a facelift with the new engine and EDyn systems.

As it happens I'm popping into the dealers tomorrow morning to pickup an iPhone snap-in adaptor... so will plant the seed in my salesmans head that I'm looking.

Thanks again

Paul 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks guys... I've mentioned the 120d MSport, I think with the tuning options on the 120d, it's my prefered option... but really would prefer a facelift with the new engine and EDyn systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is...... (and I bought a 56 120d M sport 163 last week)

Due to the UK Budget and BMW refusing to discount new prices, it means the nearly new market for 120d M Sport 177's is in demand.

I went hunting with cash, and the nearest I got was £19k for a 9 month car with 18k miles mad.gif

Ended up with an ex BMW HQ with 5200 miles for (just) under £16k.

A new one is £24k even if you can negoiate a service pack or an option or two in to the deal.

So a sub 10k miles, April / May 07 onward will hold £20k with a decent spec blush.gif

Unless you wait to mid summer, when the 1 year old 177 cars used by BMW / BMW Leasing / Accident Exchange should start to come back in the market.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks guys... I've mentioned the 120d MSport, I think with the tuning options on the 120d, it's my prefered option... but really would prefer a facelift with the new engine and EDyn systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is...... (and I bought a 56 120d M sport 163 last week)

Due to the UK Budget and BMW refusing to discount new prices, it means the nearly new market for 120d M Sport 177's is in demand.

I went hunting with cash, and the nearest I got was £19k for a 9 month car with 18k miles mad.gif

Ended up with an ex BMW HQ with 5200 miles for (just) under £16k.

A new one is £24k even if you can negoiate a service pack or an option or two in to the deal.

So a sub 10k miles, April / May 07 onward will hold £20k with a decent spec blush.gif

Unless you wait to mid summer, when the 1 year old 177 cars used by BMW / BMW Leasing / Accident Exchange should start to come back in the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems the car I considered was excellent value at 17k. Did seem quite cheap compared to others about at the time. Was in excellent condition with only 1300 miles on the clock. had the upgrade 18" wheels and LeMan blue. Sat in my local dealers for several months and it caught my eye several times. When I thought of going for a decent look and a drive it sold.

£15k wont get you any of the new engine'd cars in M Sport guise, trust me, I looked long and hard!

I got offer an 07 plate 120D M Sport 177 for £16k with 7k miles - and not seen anything close to that since.

118D 144BHP for £17.5k with 2k miles, comfort pack etc. Only the late 118D's get the cheap tax, you can search on the DVLA website against their reg numbers to see which ones qualify, but October on cars are the beginning really.

The new engined cars are from about March/April, they are the ones with the new style a/c controls and the smaller white parts in the rear light lenses.

Depending on what you need a car for, the 1 series is not exactly spatious.

Happy hunting grin.gif

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got an idea what our Forester will book at? Been given a rather 'rough' trade-in (man I love Subaru residuals!)

Subaru Forester 2.0XT Auto

2.0 Turbo

Silver, 2003, 44k miles

Full Subaru Service history

Heated black leather seats, sunroof, sun protection glass, cruise, etc...

+++

Not a clue on the Subaru?

But the 130i is a cracking car, especially in manual guise, you will see around 20mpg round town and 30mpg on a steady run, but well worth it.

I really wouldn't wrry about the leather, I went from black leather in our 120d m-sport to making sure I got a 320d sport touring with the Alcantara, it is so much nicer and alot more sporty feeling, it was after having the CSL that I realised the only time I prefer leather is when looking at it.

Alcantara for the M-Sport!! +++

attachment.php?attachmentid=64538&stc=1&d=1174407992

attachment.php?attachmentid=64535&stc=1&d=1174407992

Not a clue on the Subaru?

But the 130i is a cracking car, especially in manual guise, you will see around 20mpg round town and 30mpg on a steady run, but well worth it.

I really wouldn't wrry about the leather, I went from black leather in our 120d m-sport to making sure I got a 320d sport touring with the Alcantara, it is so much nicer and alot more sporty feeling, it was after having the CSL that I realised the only time I prefer leather is when looking at it.

Alcantara for the M-Sport!! +++

attachment.php?attachmentid=64538&stc=1&d=1174407992

attachment.php?attachmentid=64535&stc=1&d=1174407992

I just cant get on with those cloth side inserts, i think they just look cheap, IMO!

The 1 series has half leather seats rather than alcantara i think

Thanks for the advice/comments chaps.

I think we'll go for a manual 130i MSport, just trying to find the right spec.

What's IYO the best thing to do? £19k gets:

an older car 55/06 with 20-30k miles on but with leather, bluetooth & navpro

a nearly new 07 with 2-5k miles on, but with cloth and MAYBE bluetooth

:confused:

I just cant get on with those cloth side inserts, i think they just look cheap, IMO!

The 1 series has half leather seats rather than alcantara i think

The M-Sport has something called Flashpoint cloth/Sensatec black as standard. I've never seen Sensatec myself, but I believe it's some kind of leather sustitute. It certainly isn't the real thing.

The ES and SE models come with cloth as standard, but you can upgrade them to sports seats with Pearlpoint cloth/Leather, at a cost of course.

Thanks for the advice/comments chaps.

I think we'll go for a manual 130i MSport, just trying to find the right spec.

What's IYO the best thing to do? £19k gets:

an older car 55/06 with 20-30k miles on but with leather, bluetooth & navpro

a nearly new 07 with 2-5k miles on, but with cloth and MAYBE bluetooth

:confused:

An 06 car with nav and bluetooth would be nice, if you can find one with Logic7 sound then even better.

in 2 years time they will both be out of warranty anyway, and I would guess the 07 plate one would be less money at that point than the 06 plate with al the toys.

The 1 series hasn't had the facelifted engine yet, so it is a few mpg behind the new 330i, I guess if it had already had it then the 07 car would have been worth getting, but personally I would prefer the one with all the toys.

Come resale there will be loads of standard cars and only half a dozen with all the options that people want.

An 06 car with nav and bluetooth would be nice, if you can find one with Logic7 sound then even better.

in 2 years time they will both be out of warranty anyway, and I would guess the 07 plate one would be less money at that point than the 06 plate with al the toys.

The 1 series hasn't had the facelifted engine yet, so it is a few mpg behind the new 330i, I guess if it had already had it then the 07 car would have been worth getting, but personally I would prefer the one with all the toys.

Come resale there will be loads of standard cars and only half a dozen with all the options that people want.

Yeah... I kind of had the same thought, but asked the question to have it confirmed.

Here's the one we're interested in:

http://www.elmscambridgebmw.co.uk/usedbmw/view_model.html?dolnDealerID=16356&currentCh=WBAUF92010PS88357