A simple question - who makes the best cars today?

theduisbergkid

Bit of a provocative question really, and rather subjective too, but hey this ain't Mastermind.

I think BMW have a great line up, from the economical 1.gif to the cracking M3, M5 and stunning (if not the best to drive) 6 series. You can keep the X3 and X5 ta, BMW estates are big enough. Mind you, I hate the BMW image...

So, answers on a postcard ....

Horses for courses.

BMW have diluted the brand a bit - victim of their own success. Great drivers cars, lost their way abit in the styling department. Too many knobs driving them (I own one before anyone says I am biased!).

Audi - better image, some crakcing cars recently (RS4, RS6, R8).

Mercedes also improving quality.

Porsche, great sports cars, and bizzarely an off-roader.

Skoda making some great cars making the VW versions look expensive.

Japs still up there for reliability and customer service...

Italians and French still unable to sort relaibility and customer service.

The perfect car:

Drivetrain and engine by BMW. Reliability and electrics by Honda. Customer service by Honda/Lexus. Styling by the italians. Pricing by Skoda. Warranty by Hyundai.

ok.... (have to disagree on anything by Peugeot I am afraid! (IMHO and based on a bad experience!)

Drivetrain and engine by BMW. Reliability and electrics by Honda. Interior by Audi. Customer service by Honda/Lexus. Styling by the italians. Pricing by Skoda. Warranty by Hyundai.

For me the obvious choice is BMW - I like to view this as if you had a say 3 car garage to cover your requirements and money was sensibly no object, but you had to get them all from one brand, which would it be??

BMW (135Coupe, M6, M5 Touring) fits the bill pretty well for me the only other aternative would be Audi (S3, RS6 Avant,R8).....

Throwing in this for discussion purposes only you understand - what about Ford for cheap (ish) fairly reliable, good handling cars that do exactly what they say on the tin? Taking into account mass produced and the lower brand image, which is not really the question here, they do what they do pretty well I'd have thought - with even some relatively nice designs!

If it's just on the manufacturer, then probably Porsche.

if it's on the overall buying experience, then VW and Audi would be at the bottom of the list, with Lexus quite near the top, along with BMW, if only because BMW dealers seem to have got rid of their ability to come across as arrogant twonks, which every one I ever saw up until about a year ago was the case.

TDK, are you a pyromaniac? Just wondering, like. grin.gif

Best quality cars (and service) - Lexus.

Most reliable (in my experience) - Subaru. (though most of the Japs could claim equal status)

Best drivers' cars - Porsche and BMW.

Best 'everyday' cars - Skoda (the best of the VAG brands IMO)

Best value - Hyundai.

If it was a question of which brand ticks mnost of the boxes most of the time, BMW closely followed by Lexus.

As an aside, for or five years ago I think Audi were making ground on BMW, but with the advent of innovations like Efficiency Dynamics BMW have recently jumped waaaaaaaaay ahead. (Again, purely my opinion - I know others will argue passionately against that).

[ QUOTE ]

TDK, are you a pyromaniac? Just wondering, like. grin.gif

Best quality cars (and service) - Lexus.

Most reliable (in my experience) - Subaru. (though most of the Japs could claim equal status)

Best drivers' cars - Porsche and BMW.

Best 'everyday' cars - Skoda (the best of the VAG brands IMO)

Best value - Hyundai.

If it was a question of which brand ticks mnost of the boxes most of the time, BMW closely followed by Lexus.

As an aside, for or five years ago I think Audi were making ground on BMW, but with the advent of innovations like Efficiency Dynamics BMW have recently jumped waaaaaaaaay ahead. (Again, purely my opinion - I know others will argue passionately against that).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go BMW. Looks are not to everyones taste but, dynamically brilliant, great build quality, perhaps the best engines out there, reliable, great aftersales service, depreciation is very low, a model for every need. Only thing i dont like is the run flat tyres dung.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Would agree with a lot of what you say, but definately not aftersales, and in a lot of cases, not deprication either....

[/ QUOTE ]

Must just be the dealer we use for the missus mini then. Awesome.

An example, bought a cooper 6 weeks ago, great deal.

Went in to have some warranty work 2 weeks back, got a call, our tyre man has noticed the rear tyres have less than 3mm on them ( i knew this, all part of the deal) As you've only had it 4 weeks we'd like to put 2 new tyres on it for you for free. I was stunned, £290 worth of tyres later, we drove it home and i'm still wondering why they changed them. Everything they have done so far has exceeded my expectations in every way. Oh and even gave me a nice £20k courtesy car 169144-ok.gif