Blue Tooth fails for 3rd time - BM Blame my Phone!

Cleybrooke

The blue tooth on my 3 month old 3 series has stopped working for the 3rd time. This time BMW service claim that because my phone is not on the approved list, if it fails again they will not replace the unit....

Not happy.

Has anyone ever come across a situation where a phone is able to destroy another BT unit?

My Phone is a Sony Ericsson K850i - new model so I assumed that it was not on list because the list needed to be updated. But to discover that by pairing to the car I could not only break it but also invalidate the warranty is bad.

Anyone any suggestions on how I can find out more about how this can be sorted?

[ QUOTE ]

There is no way a phone can blow out a bluetooth kit, that is just nonsense. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

The car bluetooth is a software/hardware combination.

Its highly likely there are minor problems with the BT software (both on the phone and the car) as the standards are iffy and protocol mismatch happens a lot.

The absolute worst case scenario (and this is extremely unlikely) is that the SE phone may trigger a certain packet combo which causes the car BT software to write bad values to its non-volatile memory. (The car will have a small amount to save things such as paired devices etc)

Its possible that the illegal data would cause the unit to crash each time it loaded it.

However, this would be a fault of the car software. And in any case, no hardware would be damaged as the units non-volatile memory could be erased/factory reset and its back to its default settings.

p.s. The whole point of Bluetooth is its a device independent protocol. Having recommended device lists does not mean that other devices will cause failure. Newer devices are released all the time and the car itself gives no warnings that certain devices shouldnt be used!!!

pps. Have written bluetooth drivers in the past. 169144-ok.gif

Have you tried using a phone that is compatible, and for a few days? I bet the bluetooth still goes wrong.

There is something up in your car, it is not the phone, I just realied that my wifes phone is a K850i and it works perfectly.

Chav - words of wisdom from clearly someone that knows. I think gIzzE may have a route through this.

Car was in yesterday and I can confirm that they tried to "re flash" the software on the BT device but the unit failed to respond. They then had to replace the unit.

As I see it I'm risking £1200 if I try the phones (with the firmware upgrade). It's £600 for a new Bluetooth unit (50/50 parts and labour) and £600 for two new phones. (new contract taken out in Dec so can't get a new one for a while).

The risk is that refuse to replace it if it goes wrong again. I then have to argue that it it is fault with the BMW device for not functioning to the correct BT protocols. They should also publish a list of phones that are prohibited from use due to the fact that it locks up.

Interesting that there is not a problem with your gIzzE.

[ QUOTE ]

You have a fault in your car somewhere, it is as simple as that.

Just buy a Nokia 6300 for £130 and use that for a few days and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed - BMW are talking bollx...... buy a pay as you go Nokia on the supported list, or one off eBay and use that! Like Gizze says - it will fall over regardless of the phone model.

Also, get them to show you the Terms and Conditions in writing that states you are liable to replace the unit just by not using a 'supported' phone..... they will run a mile. grin.gif

K850i with a certain firmware is well known for this, you can update SE phones from home with a new firmware, use the software your phone came with and it will check for updates.

This is correct, the phone needs firmware updateing.+++ It should then be good, I changed mine for a Nokia 6280, it works great in the 6 series.+++

• 1 month later...

To get the contacts up you may have to download the app designed for the Nokia 610 car kit, install that and set it to start automatically.

Now pair your phone again with the car and you get it working 100%. +++

App on the nokia website.

I have a really annoying prob with the 130 BT kit.

My iPhone connects, transfers contacts and the signal metr all works fine on the Business CD head unit... but as soon as a call connects (dial works fine too) the phone disconnects from the head unit.

Is there any way of checking the firmware version of the BT kit in the car, so I can ask the dealer if there is an update. Dealer want 1.5hrs labour to investigate and would then correct if nessasary.

Cheers

P