[Audi A3/S3] S3 Sportback pics

mark88

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Don't believe everything you see on the net. The A3 range is soon to be facelifted, hence there will never be a prefacelift S3 Sportback as per those pics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh dear, it's like deja vu all over again:

I do recall people saying 'that's just an A3' when we first saw these spy pics:

http://images.worldcarfans.com/articles/2006/1/26/6060126.002/6060126.002.1M.jpg

And that's just an S-Line with a new body kit when we saw these ones:

http://www.autospies.com/images/users/Agent001/SP32-20060710-100455.jpg

You talk like you *know*. You really don't. If there's never gonna be an S3 sportback then why is this car parked in Audi's lot? Did they throw it together for a bit of fun? Perhaps it's a photoshop? or perhaps some guy managed to get hold of the new A3 facelift bumper, put it on his SPRINT BLUE sportback, added some S3 side skirts and some TT-S wheels??? lol.gif

Those pics show an S3 sportback. I'd put my house on it. People who take these pics do it for a living. They sell their pictures to car magazines/websites etc etc. They know all the right places to go and very very rarely get it wrong. Everytime we post a spy pics of a new car there's always someone here who knows better isn't there.

Oh, believe me, I'm not doubting the S3 Sportback would come along - it was inevitable. This is most likely a mule, in the same way lots of the B7 RS4 mules were B6 shape before the B7 was offically launched. Back to that Sportback, why on earth tape the headlights? They appear to be standard 8P lights, so why tape them but leave the S3 underbumper on show? Something fishy going on there.....

Well the new A3 facelift isn't changing that much, but the headlights will change to feature the new DRLs. Have a look at the new A3 Cab for an idea. The tape seems to cover where the new DRLs will be, but otherwise there's not much of a change in the bonnet/side area to the regular shape.

Can't believe Audi are doing a 5 door S3 - That's really sad. The sportiest top of the range hatch should not be a 5 door option.

It's all about money these days. It's like Porsche doing the Cayenne- pathetic. The directors don't care though because it makes money, what a shame.........didn't think Audi would succumb with the brilliant S3....

It's as bad as a 205 GTi with 5 doors - it's just wrong!!

[ QUOTE ]

Can't believe Audi are doing a 5 door S3 - That's really sad. The sportiest top of the range hatch should not be a 5 door option.

It's all about money these days. It's like Porsche doing the Cayenne- pathetic. The directors don't care though because it makes money, what a shame.........didn't think Audi would succumb with the brilliant S3....

It's as bad as a 205 GTi with 5 doors - it's just wrong!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally disagree with that, S and RS cars have always been avants, in the case of some avant only, apart from the S3, the sportback is a far better looking car when done in a sporty way, it looks like a mini RS avant.

Are they offering DSG at last, that is more important than body shape imho?

[ QUOTE ]

This is a dicussion about the S3. Not the RS6, which is a totally different car smashfreakB.gif

Are people's opinions not allowed on here anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you having a bad day. smirk.gif

RS6 Saloon vs Avant and S3 vs Sportback is a perfect similarity model for model, as it happens as Gizze also pointed out. Not trying to be funny but I can easily see the top model being a Sportback as much or more than the S3 especially with Audi's history of fast estates. 169144-ok.gif

My 2p.

®S4 Avant - Big fast load lugger 169144-ok.gif makes sense

®S6 Avant - Bigger fast load lugger 169144-ok.gif makes more sense

S3 Sporback - Small load lugger ??? seems to be missing the point and a bit of a contradiction IMO.

Dont really get it. You would never see a Golf Gti Estate.

Maybe makes sense purely for the 5 doors but not as a compact estate.

Anyway, Im biased only ever had 3 drs based on looks alone, my 7 yr old doesnt complain as she hasnt known any other !

What next?, 5 door TT with LPG conversion...... suicide.gif

Cheers

Paul

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

This is a dicussion about the S3. Not the RS6, which is a totally different car smashfreakB.gif

Are people's opinions not allowed on here anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you having a bad day. smirk.gif

RS6 Saloon vs Avant and S3 vs Sportback is a perfect similarity model for model, as it happens as Gizze also pointed out. Not trying to be funny but I can easily see the top model being a Sportback as much or more than the S3 especially with Audi's history of fast estates. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A bad day? No, but your comments were offish at best.

It's each to their own surely? Telling someone that the "Avant" version will be better doesn't mean it will. My personal choice would be the hatchback, as was the original S3.

Audi are well know for fast estates what ever the size, should they do an S3 Sportback, definitely, its almost a core part of the brand to offer it when others don't. I mean who had a fast estate before they did the RS Avants .. nobody now look at the rivals now. 169144-ok.gif

Guess it was always going to happen given how easy it is to turn a normal sportback into an S3. Now there are no metalwork changes I think it's a case of bolt on and go. I can't really think of a part that needs re-engineering tbh.

I didn't think it would look as good as it seems to from those pics 169144-ok.gif