Intermittent fault with Indicators!

Crafty1980

Hi there, I've got a problem with my indicators. When I go to indicate generally they only ever flash once then stop. Sometimes it doesn't indicate at all and sometimes they almost works perfectly. It sounds as though the relay switch (or whatever it's called) might be either broken or just has a lose connection. Can someone tell me where it is and how to access it? I can hear it clicking (when it does work) behind the dashboard somewhere! I'm wondering if it's anything like my old golf and it's just an item that plugs into a sort of fuse board?! Or is it a major job for a garage? frown.gif

Funny thins is, the lights work fine if I turn on the hazards. Does that use a different relay to the left/right relay?

I's an A6 Avant btw '02 plate...

This is just a guess but sometimes the relay is actually a part of the hazard light switch itself (it is on my Golf) - have a go at pulling that out if you can.

Or post in the VAG-COM section and see if someone in your area would be able to do a scan for faults - that should narrow down your seach at least.

Curious. I have exactly the same problem with my A6 Allroad.

It's booked in at the main stealer on monday for it's 80k service, inc cambelt change (gulp), so they are going to check it at the same time.

I'll report back.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I have attached a piccy from ETKA7 of the Hazard Warning Light Switch. It does contain the relay that causes the Hazard Lights and Indicators to flash.

I too am currently experiencing intermittent problems with Indicators. My indicators come on but don't flash. I'm blaming a sticky relay cos when I thump the dash hard it works again! :D

To think I actually get paid an extortionate amount of money for providing quality technical fault diagnosis and repair such as this! lol

Joking aside, I'll have a look at the relay and see if a repair can be made or whether it's just easier to replace. Will get back to you.

Regards

post-17027-137914415582_thumb.jpg

Hi all

Me again! I've removed the assembly from the dash. Simply pull off the facia then lever the switch unit out using a screwdriver. Go in from the top. Pull unit out and unplug harness.

For an A6 C5 the part number is 4B0 941 509 D.

Inside the unit (see attached pics) there are two relays the larger one controls the lights in the 'Hazard Warning' mode whilst the smaller one is used when switching the indicators left or right. This is the reason why Hazard Warning Lights still work when indicators do not.

It's this smaller relay, a Omron G8N-1, that is sticking and causing the Indicators not to flash. If you're feeling brave or you know someone who can solder/desolder double sided though board components, the relay can be changed at a fraction of the cost of replacing the whole assembly. (better for the environment too!)

RS used to stock this relay for around £5 but it is now obsolete. They have an 'alternative' but it is different and would therefore not fit in the circuit board. Maplin was a waste of time too. I have contacted Omson themselves asking where these relays can be bought but I'm not expecting a reply.

I'll keep at it and post any developments on obtaining the relays. After all £5 is better than what Audi would charge for a new switch unit! I hate to think how much that would be!

post-17027-137914415584_thumb.jpg

post-17027-137914415588_thumb.jpg

Definitely Hazzard light switch as mentioned. Its common across the range.

Mine (8L S3) started playing up with erratic blinks and generally loosing its rythem.

Switch was circa £25-35 quid irrc, and was a revised part no, so may have been improved to solve the problem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the G8N-1S would do? it is still available. It is listed as a "low voltage" version but has appx the same characteristics apart from coil resistance of 180 Ohm against 225 Ohm and a pull voltage of 6.5V as against 7.2V.

An alternative looks like the CIT A16.

ref Electronic Components: PCB Overview

and www.citswitch.com/Relay%20Cross%20Reference.pdf

Cheers,

Michael.

I searched the internet high and low. There were plenty of people offering the relay as long as I was willing to buy a thousand at a time! :s Easier just to swap out the Hazard Warning Light Switch. Mind you since giving the relay a tap with the handle end of a screwdriver, I haven't had any problems! :D

I think you're probably right. Even thought he nice folk at Omron sent one gratis, it may be less grief to spend £15/€30 on the full kit. I'll try the mechanical response first though, since a thump of the dashboard gets it going again.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I had the same problem on my Golf IV TDI - indicators in both directions flashing erratically or stopping altogether. All bulbs checked & OK.

The fault lay within the Hazard Flasher Switch module in the dashboard, which developed dodgy switch contacts. You can either replace the unit yourself for about 18 quid, or dismantle and repair existing unit. My local VW main dealer wanted to charge 70 quid labour for fitting!! It takes about 5 minutes!! First prise out blank switch covers on both sides of the Hazard Switch for easier access, then squeeze in the two side clips and puill out the Hazard Switch module. Unplug.

Carefully unclip the button, then unclip the case and slide off.

You will see eight spring finger contacts, four on each side. First try cleaning these contacts with Switch Cleaner spray (maplin etc). Gently flex the relay assembly and look closely at the spring fingers to see if they are lifting off the flat contacts. Note that depending on the switch position (in or out) some contacts have a raised peice of plastic to deliberately lift and disconnect them. Check for undesired lifting when each contact should be down. If spring fingers are loose, carefully bend at fold with tweezers to increase force of spring contact. This need only take 10 mins or so, I cured two fairly slack contacts.

Before reassembling, check by plugging back into car wiring. Make sure L & R indicators AND hazards flash, beware hazards will only flash on one side if contacts still slack. Flex the relay assembly slightly to make sure intermittent behaviour is cured. Reassemble. Go spend the 18 quid you have saved on a meal out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Im new here and was reading this topic and thought that maybe someone could tell me if the stuff in the thread could apply to my car?

its a VW polo 05 Reg,

i noticed a while ago that i heard a clicking noise every so often that sounded like my indicators but there was no light on my dash,

then on one occassion i'd turned my car on and gone to open the gates at the end of my drive and when i turned round i noticed that the indicators (side ones) had flashed, i still hear the tick even though no one else has and yesterday when it happened i was reversing off the in-laws drive and i asked them if anything happened as it happened and they said all my indicators at the front of my car had flashed!!, i'd not touched anything and nothing showed on the dash, so after months my other half now belives me..... any ideas if this is connected to the topic of this thread?

thanks

Carrie.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...