[Audi A3/S3] Sport vs. S-line suspensions

sebtomato

I currently have an A3 S-line, and I find the suspension/ride too hard. Therefore, I am looking at a confirmation that the Sport suspensions are softer than the S-line ones, for UK-spec cars.

I have looked at the German and French Audi web sites, and both mention that:

* The Sport suspensions are 15mm lower than the standard suspensions

* The S-line suspensions are 10mm lower than the sport suspensions (so 25mm lower than standard)

However, I can't find anything in the UK site, so does anybody know if it is the same for UK-spec cars?

I think Sport suspensions and 17" wheels would be a good compromise in term of ride between SE (very soft and bouncy) and S-line versions (very hard, compounded by 18" low profile tyres).

Thanks,

Seb

I currently have an A3 S-line, and I find the suspension/ride too hard. Therefore, I am looking at a confirmation that the Sport suspensions are softer than the S-line ones, for UK-spec cars.

I have looked at the German and French Audi web sites, and both mention that:

* The Sport suspensions are 15mm lower than the standard suspensions

* The S-line suspensions are 10mm lower than the sport suspensions (so 25mm lower than standard)

However, I can't find anything in the UK site, so does anybody know if it is the same for UK-spec cars?

I think Sport suspensions and 17" wheels would be a good compromise in term of ride between SE (very soft and bouncy) and S-line versions (very hard, compounded by 18" low profile tyres).

Thanks,

Seb

If your budget can stretch to it get an S3, it rides more smoothly than the S-Line IMO. I had an S-Line TDi Q and it almost put me off the A3 altogether. My S3 is smoother and better handling then the other halfs Mk5 GTi too.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought really hard about taking an S-Line as my latest company car, but opted to take a Sport and then make hay with the options list. So I got the S-Line 18s on the Sport suspension and for me it's the best compromise - great look, but with a ride that doesn't shake your fillings loose. Love the car to bits and don't regret leaving BMW.

I agree! I drove a S3 for a few days, and it does ride better than an S-line. Suspension does not feel so hard, and steering is much better.

I don't know about the suspension in the S3, it's way too expensive for me. (I live in Denmark, and the cost of a S3 is aprox. 81.500 euro:ffs:). I have the A3 with the 15 mm lower sport suspension combined with 225/55 R17 tires. IMHO it's the perfect solution between sport and comfort.

I had an S-line Quattro for a couple of months and the main reason I couldn't live with it was the ride. I'd always assumed it was cos of the 18" wheels that it was harder than the Sport, didn't realise that the suspension was actually lower so thats interesting. The wheels looked great but I wasn't prepared to sacrifice decent levels of comfort for the sake of the looks so it had to go. Every journey was a bone rattling nightmare which was a shame cos the Quattro handling was awsome. Went back to the Sport for the sake of my nerves and cos I wanted to keep all my fillings!!