15 replies to this topic

#1 Jon

Jon

BMW 330d

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:18 AM

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if this is possible and if so what is required?

Cheers,

Jon.
11\2007 Nissan Qashqai Tekna + Nav, 2.0 DCi, 2WD 6Spd Manual.

#2 Big_Dan

Big_Dan

BMW 130d

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:58 AM

Hi

It doesn't work - it is blocked. Annoyingly it uses IP detection to guess where you are, so it can even block you if you are in the UK, but it doesn't think so.

I spent ages before an England match once using anonymous proxies to connect to 5Live to listen, but to no avail. Treated myself to a Slingbox instead.
2003 Land Rover Discovery 4.0 V8 GS 7 seat Auto
2007 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi 140 SE
2009 Volkswagen Passat Estate 2.0 TDi 140 CR Highline DSG

#3 Big_Dan

Big_Dan

BMW 130d

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

Found a bit of a bug ... If you start the download connected to a UK provider, it doesn't matter who you are connected to after.

This is useful as I can VPN into the UK, start it and then disconnect and continue downloading on the hotel wireless.
2003 Land Rover Discovery 4.0 V8 GS 7 seat Auto
2007 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi 140 SE
2009 Volkswagen Passat Estate 2.0 TDi 140 CR Highline DSG

#4 Jon

Jon

BMW 330d

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:43 AM

Thanks,

I have seen that as a possible workaround, the other being to use a proxy in the UK.

Cheers,

Jon.
11\2007 Nissan Qashqai Tekna + Nav, 2.0 DCi, 2WD 6Spd Manual.

#5 BrianFD3S

BrianFD3S

Vauxhall Corsa VXR

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:51 AM

http://visibleprocra...he-bbc-iplayer/

^ that's all I could find right now.
Posted Image

#6 Andy_Bangle

Andy_Bangle

Wallander

• Members
  • 10,325 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:52 AM

Another proxy server company is International Alliance Privacy Services A 6 month UK IP address is 75 USD.

Click on the UK/BBC/ITV Radio information button. I think they do a free trial. We have been using them for a few months now and can thoroughly recommend the service. Much better than trying to track down elusive 'free' proxies. Money well spent so we can keep up with Doctor Who and Have I Got News For You while living in abroad!

Direct link: https://www.intl-alliance.com/bbc.html

I have a 2m Sat dish on the side of my garage to watch Sky and all the UK channels at home :)
Warning, this post contains my usual spelling mistakes, punctuation horrors and possibly ill-thought out ideas.

#7 Rigsby123

Rigsby123

Shank's Pony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:38 AM

The trial from Int'l Alliance works well.

I have one question.....there are VPN and SSH packages available with a $20 difference. I have sent messages to them asking which one I should purchase but they never respond. Which one is best just for watching BBC/ITV etc. ??

#8 burble

burble

?

• Members
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationLetchworth

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:40 AM

$140/year for a UK IP address seems a bit expensive. For that money you could just about get a virtual private server somewhere in the UK and setup a proxy server on it. Mind you, I suppose letting someone else do the boring techy stuff is worth a bit of a premium.

A mate of mine has recently emigrated to Canada and so that he can keep watching stuff on the iPlayer I setup Squid on one of my Linux boxes and then he creates an SSH tunnel from his PC to the box and tells his web browser to use http://localhost:8080 as the proxy server. Works like a charm.

#9 CarMad

CarMad

• Moderators
  • 15,218 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:15 AM

The BBC are a commercial organisation and justifiably want people to pay for what they create outside of the UK, after all we have to pay for it when we are in the UK so why should others get it for free.....

:cool:

#10 pingpongpo

pingpongpo

Subaru Impreza WRX

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:42 PM

The BBC are a commercial organisation and justifiably want people to pay for what they create outside of the UK, after all we have to pay for it when we are in the UK so why should others get it for free.....

Too right!! Its another form of illegal immigration except they're not actually coming into the country!!

#11 bazza_g

bazza_g

Clumsy Bastard with pipe & slippers

• Moderators
  • 19,595 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:25 PM

:grin: I pay for it in the UK so why shouldn't I be able to watch it when I'm abroad?

I was annoyed the other day when I couldn't watch the F1 on the ITV website from the USA

Might have to look into one of these Slingbox thingys +++

#12 CarMad

CarMad

• Moderators
  • 15,218 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:18 PM

:grin: You can Bazza I will let you off. :P

If you get a slingbox let me know how you get on with it. +++

#13 burble

burble

?

• Members
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationLetchworth

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:22 PM

If you get a slingbox let me know how you get on with it. +++

Any specific questions? I've got a Slingbox (classic) and it does exactly what it says on the tin.

#14 CarMad

CarMad

• Moderators
  • 15,218 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:26 PM

Not really, just if it worked well and if you found it useful. +++

#15 burble

burble

?

• Members
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationLetchworth

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

Yes to both. It works really well and as I spend a lot of time working abroad it is very very useful.

As long as you have about 0.5Mbit upstream available at home and the same at the place you're trying to watch from it'll work just fine.

Only slight niggle is that there is a delay of a few seconds from when you push a button on the remote control in the Sling Player software to anything happening but that's down to the way that data is buffered.

All in all - a great product.

#16 billyelliott80

billyelliott80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:31 AM

When I shifted US, I was worried about watching BBC iPlayer abroad, but thanks to Streaming VPN. I can now avail some of the best and fastest servers and can now watch my favorite programs outside the UK....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users