2.0TDI Piss Poor Fuel Economy

UBM

I have a new S Line TDI 170 with just 700 miles on the clock

It started off at 35 average and is now up to 40. Not good but when your coming from a 4x4 that was doing 22 to the gallon its a huge improvement.

Is that quattro? I have a fwd (170) with 500 miles and i'm getting about 38 avg but the miles to date are mostly motorway.:(

Well I just had my best tankful yet on the 320d auto, with an average of 54mpg, that was mainly gentle driving though, which is normally spolit by a load of city stuff, but I was very impressed. Problem is you are never happy, for the first 75% of the tank it was showing 57mpg, and although a week ago I was itching to get it up from 48 to the 50 mark I was gutted I didn't get 60 this tank! :)

Normally though I see about 39-44mpg, that is gunning around and doing lots of city driving.

Is that quattro? I have a fwd (170) with 500 miles and i'm getting about 38 avg but the miles to date are mostly motorway.:(

No its the FWD same as yours. I have yet do do a decent run in the car, the 40 is around town.

Mind you a guy did ask me why I was pushing the car instead of driving it+++

same as me, did london and back yesterday and averaged 38 in a 170 with quattro

this week...

3.0tdi cab - 36 mpg, 1000 miles+

50% on motorway in fast line, 50% on b-roads at NSL

also, audi cab is 200kg heavier.... maybe you guys are all fat bastards? :P

Round trip yesterday of 50+ miles of fast dual carriageway and quick A roads in the A4 170. Result 47 mpg (actual)

5k on the clock and it has gradually got better.

I have found after a six year conversion to diesel that if you drive it like a petrol it gulps fuel. :rolleyes:

Well I've had my first diesel for 2 weeks, feel free to give me some frugal driving tips. I thought I'd been driving like Miss Daisy but it would be interesting to see if I'm right or wrong. I'm sure my economy is down to the new engine not my driving:p.

Oh and Chav, I certainly don't weigh 200kg more than you:fecker:

Round trip yesterday of 50+ miles of fast dual carriageway and quick A roads in the A4 170. Result 47 mpg (actual)

5k on the clock and it has gradually got better.

I have found after a six year conversion to diesel that if you drive it like a petrol it gulps fuel. :rolleyes:

In what way do you drive it differently to a petrol?

Just in case it is my driving style!

I have driven the Bora 115 PD for 60K miles in 2 yrs, and I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I have ever taken it above 3K revs.

As said above, there really is no need to go beyond 3K. Max torque is at 1500 -2500 rpm, when the turbo kicks in, so why waste fuel going over that - besides, it makes more noise!

Not sure I'd be the same if I had a V6 TDi....... with the V6 sound.

I won't bother with the MPG as it is a totally different car to the heavier, bigger engined A4's

edit - less gear changing is needed to boot.

So, the latest is a way away from the 50mpg club.

Today, calculated by filling up and looking at distance = 36mpg.....for the last tank...

I had a Tiguan 2l tdi loaner recently and must say I was less than impressed with the MPG return from the car. On my usual journey if I use the wifes car I average around 25mpg (RRsport), if I use my A2 I get about 36mpg and the Tiguan returned a huge 27mpg - was not impressed.