Pirelli Edition GTI.....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just seen a golf with rear tints this morning at the local dealership. I had to go check it out to see if i could live with it or not as i was VERY tempted by the pirelli maybe its because i have its mk1 cousin the mk1 campaign too that the pirelli apealed to me. Anyway i don't think i could live with the tints, shame as i had grown to really like the rest of the car. icon9.gif

I guess the search goes on for our second car.

It does at least have the armrest and free metallic/pearl paint.

I agree shame about not having the golf ball gear knob.

I still think at that level the ed30 & Pirelli should have got the xenons too.

I completely agree! £750 extra for Xenons on one of their premium brands is terrible! Like the R32, should be standard.

There are some things i like about the Pirelli but more things in favour for the Edition 30. I'm thinking i might wait for the Mk6 and see what that has to offer. (fingers crossed for 4 motion GTi, but don't quote me)

The trouble with special editions is that they look so dated in no time.

Even the Edition 30 suddenly looks old and slow.

Even though it is no slower than the Pirelli.

Human nature.

Don't actually think the ED30 screams special edition (although I'm biased) and it's as old ?? and slow ?? as the std production GTI, so your point is ?

• 2 weeks later...

The K04 turbo is MUCH slower in the real world than a tweeked K03.

As VW Performance Mag said....

"If truth be told in the back of all our minds we knew the real winner wasn't actually in attendance on the day, the basic GTI (at three grand cheaper than the Edition30 and with better tuned suspension) would clearly have ticked all the boxes. Unfortunately it's beefed up brother (the Edition 30) would be flying the VW flag today."

I didn't wanna be the first to say it, but i agree with you. I think this could be the end for big engine cars, in hatchbacks at least.

I probably wont ever own a 6 cylinder car again..... :-(

BMW seem to have taken the lead in this area.

Take their 3.0 straight-six engines - BMW do 218hp and 272hp variants of that engine, and in the 3 Series the CO2 output is less and the fuel consumption is better than a Golf GTI on both those engines.

The 3.2 V6 from the R32 seems extremely thirsty and old-fashioned in comparison.

"If truth be told in the back of all our minds we knew the real winner wasn't actually in attendance on the day, the basic GTI (at three grand cheaper than the Edition30 and with better tuned suspension) would clearly have ticked all the boxes. Unfortunately it's beefed up brother (the Edition 30) would be flying the VW flag today."

That magazine PMSL i have bought a few copies of it over time and sent letters into them a few times correcting them about many things to do with VWs, they simply did not bother to research or just made things up. They are jounalists at the end of the day like Mr. J Clarkson and have no idea of engineering or the products when it comes down to it from what i have read.

Anyone that reads magazines and just takes there word for it is an idiot. I know alot of motoring and audio jounalists and they have more hidden agendas than the goverment. Oh and don't ever think a car that a magazine gets to test or on long term use is the exact same as the car the public get its not, i have seen with my own eyes what goes into press cars.

I think they totally missed the boat by not producing the Pirelli with a modern take on the P Slot wheels of the Mk1?

Many of us have seen the versions that have been available on limited run stateside recently, and they have been selling very well indeed despite a huge price tag.

Would have loved to have seen an official new GTi featuring those!

I agree - tinted rear windows are for MPV's, drug dealers and cabinet ministers only. I don't mind all side windows tinted but find this modern concept of just having the rear ones tinted a bit odd. """"Can't think of a purpose for them either"""".

I could actually live with the Pirelli GTI if it wasn't for the seat fabric & tints. The wheels look fine to me.

For keeping the sun out of your babies eyes, oh and i have rear tints and in not any of the above

Hate it when mags get the info WRONG. The ED30 and GTI have the same suspension and they weren't three grand more (he couldnt do the maths)

I think they totally missed the boat by not producing the Pirelli with a modern take on the P Slot wheels of the Mk1?

Looks carefully at the spokes they are "meant" to look like they end in a P. Get cross eyed and you can see it!

• 2 weeks later...

To suggest that the Edition 30 is no quicker than a standard GTI is just ridiculous.... they're world's apart in real terms. We all know that VW under quoted the power figures on this car and that many have been rolling roaded at 250-260 bhp.

To suggest that the Edition 30 is no quicker than a standard GTI is just ridiculous.... they're world's apart in real terms. We all know that VW under quoted the power figures on this car and that many have been rolling roaded at 250-260 bhp.

they still feel pretty slow as standard though IMO of course

well she's fast enough for me, quicker then most other Hot hatch's except for the R26 renault

yeh, but i have come from quite a few modded cars, so thought it was a little sluggish, that said so are most other hot hatches imo, so its not a put down

• 5 months later...

Old thread i know but heres my opinion

All of you that make judgement on the seats... How many of you have actualy sat in them or even touched them? Probably not many since there is only 141 pirelli golfs sold in the UK at the end of october. Kind of puts the 'limited edition' status of the ED30 into perspective!

The seats were THE main reason i bought this car. Its simple, i am not scottish so wont wear tartan and leather is slippery and has no texture.

And my god, how did i ever live without heated seats!

I like the rear windows tinted out, my car is black and suits it well.

I did not like the wheels at first, but as with most things in life they grew on me (except when i come to clean them haha)

Have released the potential of the engine now with a +60bhp remap, worth every penny!

Still reserve judgement on the tyres, might try some goodyear f1 asymetrics as suggested to me in another thread, see how they compare

I am so happy, well at least until the GTI-R comes out with 4 wheel drive and 265ps to replace the R32 :-)

Looks like you have a nice spec on your GTI chief sausage.

The Pirelli has all the right essential ingredients and I think at the end of the day what people comment on (eg seats, wheels, tints etc) are pretty much minor things. The fact these are picked up is probably because they are the only things it can be really be criticised on. As you say, very much a personal taste / desire thing. I am surprised that the Pirelli hasn't sold better.

The standard GTI has regularly been criticised for not being colour coded - again some hate this and some like the contrast.

Glad you're enjoying it, that's the main thing +++

Yes, I have seen and touched the seats and personally I thought they looked worse in the flesh than in photos. They were quite comfortable though, but not as comfortable as the seats in my .:R32.

As for seats being a minor thing, I don't agree. It was the seats that put me off an Edition 30 as I thought they looked revolting and I wasn't going to spend that sort of money on a car with seats that I thought looked so bad I'd have to go to Halfords and get a set of seat covers.

Old thread i know but heres my opinion

All How many of you have actualy sat in them or even touched them? Probably not many since there is only 141 pirelli golfs sold in the UK at the end of october.

where did you get the figures from chiefsausage, we have a gti pirelli in black that my missus uses, thought it would be rare but not that rare!

we bought without seeing one in the flesh, seats are a grower and like the alcantara, looks surprising understated in black especially at night, we nearly bought two as i wanted a graphite one (looks similar to original helios blue) all bit it worried about short term residuals so got a scirocco gt instead, we'll keep the pirelli for 3/4 years so fingers crossed

i have only seen one in silver and that was at a dealer