Please help me value this GTI

johnnysenna

Fellas,

My brother's wife needs to sell her Mk5 GTI as she is getting a company car soon.

It is an 06 plate, UK car, metallic grey, 5 door, winter pack, leather, Ipod control. 23k miles. FVWSH. Spotless condition. Alloys perfect (17" wheels).

Please can you give me your views on its value for:

Trade in at dealer

Private sale in Autotrader

Dealer retail

Thanks

I traded my 06 Diamond Black 5Dr GTi with Leather and 18's,10k on the clock for £17,350.Dealer has it up for £18,790.

Best offer i had privately was £17,500.I think you are looking at £16,500ono for a private sale.

Check out Autotrader and Pistonheads for some price comparisons.

Goodluck..+++

Fellas,

My brother's wife needs to sell her Mk5 GTI as she is getting a company car soon.

It is an 06 plate, UK car, metallic grey, 5 door, winter pack, leather, Ipod control. 23k miles. FVWSH. Spotless condition. Alloys perfect (17" wheels).

Please can you give me your views on its value for:

Trade in at dealer

Private sale in Autotrader

Dealer retail

Thanks

I just traded my GTI on an 06 plate for £14500; It was an import without options but with DSG. Dealer will want to make roughly £1500 markup gross on your part ex; I would expect a part ex of £15500 to £16000 for yours because it is a UK car with leather. ipod and winter pack will make no difference and miles are about average. More for private but I never felt that comfortable with a private sale for this price level.

I sold my immaculate 06 5 door GTI with leather only 8k miles to the trade recently for 15k. They had it on at 16350 and sold at about 16k I think. Did take them quite a while to sell so there is no way a private sale at 17k or so is realistic.
When you say trade does that mean a vw dealer as that sounds really low?I done the deal on a new Ed30 back in December which i picked up on the 5th March.

Did you try a private sale before going to the trade?

Just to clarify when i said Trade above i ment trade in price but remember thats a basic price if your buying another car from them they will nearly always work it so you think your getting a better Partex by using some of the margin on the car your buying to bump the partex price up. And it goes the other way too, If they really want your car they will pay the trade in price or a little more if they know they have a buyer for it lined up or a source to shift it on quick. If there worried it may sit on there forcourt for a while the cost of it sitting there will be taken into the calculation so you may get offered less than the trade in price. Thats why a trade price come from a guide book as its simply a tool to work from.

I sold my car to an independent dealer, not a VW dealer. I did not buy my new car from them therefore know exactly what I was paid for it. So many people fall for the so called over allowance game when buying a new car and trading in to the dealer they are buying the new one from and end up thinking they are getting more for their old car than the trade in. The only way to avoid is to ask for the best price to buy the new car without a trade in, batter this down as low as possible and then ask out of interest what they might offer you for your trade-in. be prepared to be shocked with a low offer at this stage as you will be getting a low trade price but this is the actual price they are a

paying for your car. Its just car purchasing life....they all loose money and dealers aim to make money on thier sales........thats their business.

I sold my car to an independent dealer, not a VW dealer. I did not buy my new car from them therefore know exactly what I was paid for it. So many people fall for the so called over allowance game when buying a new car and trading in to the dealer they are buying the new one from and end up thinking they are getting more for their old car than the trade in. The only way to avoid is to ask for the best price to buy the new car without a trade in, batter this down as low as possible and then ask out of interest what they might offer you for your trade-in. be prepared to be shocked with a low offer at this stage as you will be getting a low trade price but this is the actual price they are a

paying for your car. Its just car purchasing life....they all loose money and dealers aim to make money on thier sales........thats their business.

To be honest you are hardly going to achieve the best price for a car by selling to a dealer.I would have thought with such a good example you would have tried for a private sale?

In my experience it always pays to haggle and haggle hard and never be afraid to walk away!

As long as your happy with the deal is what counts..+++

OK, suspense over, the VW dealer gave my brother 14.5K for the car which was the glass's guide price for a trade in.

Sounds a bit low to me ... I had a similar dealer offer for cash on mine and I would have expected the leather to count in your favor. Although now it's standard maybe its not valued at all anymore.

OK, suspense over, the VW dealer gave my brother 14.5K for the car which was the glass's guide price for a trade in.
Have to say i would have pushed dealer for 15.5k and see what he came back with.I do appreciate that not all people have the time or inclination to do this,but in my experience its normally well worth the effort..+++