Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tarmac_Terrorist

Servicing Rip Off

49 posts in this topic

Update: I've checked out the prices of four VW dealers within 20 miles of where I live. My requirements were...2nd year Time & Distance Service, Brake Fluid change, Longlife Oil upgrade.

Here are the results:

Ridgeway Newbury (Supplying dealer)

Service £255 / Brake fluid £65 / Longlife £20 TOTAL £350

(Told me that I must also have an air-con service for the warranty to remain intact at a further £75)

Martins Basingstoke

Service £240 / Brake fluid £65 / Longlife £25 TOTAL £330

White Rose Petersfield

Service £185 / Brake Fluid £63 / Longlife £50 TOTAL £298

Winchester Motor Co

Service £186 including Longlife oil / Brake Fluid £58 TOTAL £244

Obviously booked to go to Winchester Motor Co later this month and save myself £100 over going to my supplying dealer. ;)

Had the Mrs Golf MkV 2.0l tdi 2nd service done this week. Covered 36000 miles in last 2 years 7 months. Service was £220 all in. Tried the aircon service at £75 said no thanks. Then got a call saying the front and rear pads all needed changing asap, which i kinda thought would be the case. How much do you reckon they charged me to do this including parts and VAT????

TT a bit off topic but did you get your high level brake light sorted and if so what did your dealer do?

I'm asking as I have noted that like you that the left side of my brake light is loose and lower than the right side.

i've got my 2nd service (24k miles) coming up soon. Gonna switch over to T&D.

Had the brake fluid done already for £50.

my supplying dealer is quite good so hope the pricing its not too bad.

Just booked my R32 in for a brake fluid change at the end of the month at my local VW dealer, price all inclusive is £39.99

that must just be the labour charge...

No, I double checked at the time it's labour and fluid.

One thing around here is hat the local Audi garage which is a few hundred yards from the VW dealer has just received acreditation to do VW approved servincing and repairs including warranty work and they have been really aggressive on pricing to steal customers.

For example my Dad's Polo had it's 4th annual service, Brake fluid change and MOT all fo £185 wheras VW quoted £300.

I checked with the Audi garage and they are charging £40 for the brake fluid change.

TT a bit off topic but did you get your high level brake light sorted and if so what did your dealer do?

I'm asking as I have noted that like you that the left side of my brake light is loose and lower than the right side.

I've not done anything about it petsy.

I really don't fancy any dealer removing the spoiler with a cheese wire (probably damaging paint and hiding again underneath). I think I may try and resolve it myself with some appropriate adhesive / silicone if it gets much worse. +++

The air conditioning service is just a con, mine started to fail after about 28 months and i put booked it in for a warranty claim, only to be told it probably just needed servicing!!!

Similar problem happened to me today. Booked car in as aircon had stopped blowing out cold air. Was told at the time it probably just needed re-gassing and this was not covered on warranty but would be as part of an aircon service. Had it done today as well as brake fluid service for £110. It didn't make the slightest bit of difference, still no cold air. Took it straight back when they looked at it again told me that the compressor had failed and would need another. Refunded the cost of the aircon service and is booked in next week to have the compressor replaced under warranty.

What really annoys me about what you describe is that they obviously never checked it was operating correctly before they gave you the car back:ffs:

Why not go back to your original dealer with the qutoes and get them to pricematch it? After all, it's a buyers' market.

I used to be guilty of this - but it the dealers that wnat YOUR business, not the other way around :)

Just a thought!

Dan

Update: I've checked out the prices of four VW dealers within 20 miles of where I live. My requirements were...2nd year Time & Distance Service, Brake Fluid change, Longlife Oil upgrade.

Here are the results:

Ridgeway Newbury (Supplying dealer)

Service £255 / Brake fluid £65 / Longlife £20 TOTAL £350

(Told me that I must also have an air-con service for the warranty to remain intact at a further £75)

Martins Basingstoke

Service £240 / Brake fluid £65 / Longlife £25 TOTAL £330

White Rose Petersfield

Service £185 / Brake Fluid £63 / Longlife £50 TOTAL £298

Winchester Motor Co

Service £186 including Longlife oil / Brake Fluid £58 TOTAL £244

Obviously booked to go to Winchester Motor Co later this month and save myself £100 over going to my supplying dealer. ;)

It's funny you should mention that. I had a call form my supplying dealer on Monday advising that my car is due for a service. I explained that I was saving myself over £100 by going elsewhere. He then told me that they would price match!

However, as a person of principles I'm sticking to the dealer who provided me the best price in the firt place. They are only about 5 miles further and they didn't make any warranty threats regarding not having the air con service. In my opinion, a dealer who openly tries to rip off existing customers to that extent really deserves to lose business. If there was £30 between the prices then I would have happily stuck with them but I feel they've tried to shaft me - it's all about trust

Never ever goto Warrington VW to get a Service or even buy a new car

Lousy customer service, expensive servicing (£250 for my first service), and they also dented my passenger door and tried to cover it up by parking it in the corner of the car park against a bush, they then failed to admit blame.

So its not that cheap up North, and I've never ever been to a dealership where they are so rude and unenthusiastic.

I'll be going elsewhere for my imminent 2nd service, even if it means going out of my way.

Paid £225 for my 2nd service. Switched to T&D. They thru in a free drivers side wiper tho (£10) but it didn't fix the problem I was having...in that on the down sweep it keeps messing up a certain part of the screen! I'm now thinking its the screen and not the wiper.

Anyhoo...only 1 little gripe about the service. They didn't reset the damn computer! You would have thought this would be part of their "Check list". But obviously at a service, they don't go by the book as such but just do what they want to do. So had to wait a further 10mins for the tech to take it round the back, whack the 5052 gizmo on and job done.

Greetings TT - I've been off-line for months (work!), so am dipping in again after quite a while!

My supplying dealer was Coopers Portsmouth, who actively sought my business after I explained my test-drive had been with WHhite Rose Petersfield. My first service (a bit like you, mine is low mileage as it's a weekend car only) ended up with Coopers, as they undercut White Rose by a good deal (can't remember the exact price now, sorry!). They did the aircon change, which I recall was about £50 or so ....

Not sure if this helps, but would suggest Cooper's might be worth a phone call to, just in case they can price match your Winchester dealer's quote. I would recommend Cooper's, my experience has been very positive.

This is what I find so bizarre, every single one of my dealings with coopers in portsmouth has been atrocious, from the first walk in to browse, the trying to arrange a test drive, servicing, repairs, spares without exception. Will only deal with white rose now.

Strange how people can have such differing experiences.

Greetings TT - I've been off-line for months (work!), so am dipping in again after quite a while!

My supplying dealer was Coopers Portsmouth, who actively sought my business after I explained my test-drive had been with WHhite Rose Petersfield. My first service (a bit like you, mine is low mileage as it's a weekend car only) ended up with Coopers, as they undercut White Rose by a good deal (can't remember the exact price now, sorry!). They did the aircon change, which I recall was about £50 or so ....

Not sure if this helps, but would suggest Cooper's might be worth a phone call to, just in case they can price match your Winchester dealer's quote. I would recommend Cooper's, my experience has been very positive.

Hi Fresco1 - thanks for this information. +++ My car is booked in for later this week so I will go with Winchester this time but certainly bear in mind Coopers next time.

I take it you still have your GTI? - I thought you might have chopped it in for something else having not see you around here for a while. I remember you were considering an EOS.

Ah yes, the EOS ..! Problem was that large and exciting crash in the GTI last May, which is still unresolved despite months of litigation. Since then, I came close to trading in for an 18-month old Audi S6, but close to finalising the deal (we were talking about a tyre change or free service - that kind of close) Mrs. Fresco had someone reverse into the side of her Land Rover, which was also part of the trade-in for the S6.

Or as Mrs. Fresco says, we didn't seem to have much luck with cars last year!

So, I've held off changing pending the expected court case over the GTI crash. And, in my searches I've been unable to find a car that will do all the GTI can, at a reasonable price, yet match the GTI for fun. Everything except the GTI ... !

At the moment, am waiting to see how petrol prices go before changing - so am commiting to waiting another 12 months if I have to, in order to see what comes new to the market from the VAG stable, and get a feel for whether fuel will continue to rise, or level out a bit (which personally I reckon will happen, or drop slightly if the financial speculators lose interest in oil).

I like the pics of the Kenwood, by the way!

Back on topic - definitely a mixed bag re. Coopers, fortunately I've been very lucky but reckon it's 2 unhappy customers to every 1 happy Cooper's customer!

Guess all stealers are pretty much as bad as each other! Hope the Winchester angle works for you!

This is what I find so bizarre, every single one of my dealings with coopers in portsmouth has been atrocious, from the first walk in to browse, the trying to arrange a test drive, servicing, repairs, spares without exception. Will only deal with white rose now.

Strange how people can have such differing experiences.

Hi StooH

White Rose had a good sales man for a bit - think his name was Tony? Excellent guy, my old neighbour bought a Diamond Black GTI from him, and put my in touch. Unfortunately Cooper's offered £1K more for my Audi A3 as a trade-in, so did end up getting my GTI in Pompey. Have to say, my experience with Cooper's has been great, I couldn't fault them.

That was 2 years ago now, and I'm aware a few of their staff have moved on?

OK, 2nd year time & distance service completed yesterday with brake fluid change too. I also specified longlife oil (now shell not castrol) £241 in tota

Winchester Motor Co is just a VW service centre - they don't sell new VW's (that's Skoda now). They used to be a full dealer but have just now kept the VW service centre to deal with their many previous customers.

The service was excellent - they didn't wash the car as requested and I noticed that they didn't test dtive it either - fine by me. The bill was fully explained too. Being just a service centre, they seem keen to develop this side of their business as opposed to other 'full' dealers who it seems to me view the service dept as an opportunity to rip off customers who have just parted with good money for a new car. I think I will stick with this garage :)

what exactly did they do for your £241?

did it include your aircon service?

Just the standard 2nd year service & brake fluid change. I declined the air con service.

I got my Air-Con serviced after three years and it was only half full of gas :eek:.

May be worth doing as when the gas runs out all the seals start to go.