Speakers Broken !!!!!

jcoles7

Hello All,

I have noticed that the tweeter in my passenger door is distorting at higher volumes so have finally decided to take it out to order a replacement. What a job not exactly easy.

Anyway I have the speaker out and put the door back together and have used the stereo (not sure if that was a good idea or not really but anyway) the mid range in the same door barely seems to function. Would this be because the tweeter is out and not completing the circuit? Also could it be that actually the tweeter is fine and the mid range is faulty and because this is broken the extra power is making the tweeter distort?

Also to add insult to injury I have realised that the driver’s door is not working at all (I have not taken it apart ever). Not one of the speakers makes a sound even fully balanced to the right. Now maybe I did not realise but has anyone got any ideas?

I will get a replacement tweeter in a few days dealer permitting.

Any ideas all .......

Cheers in advance

Jason

Hi again all,

Well I have bit the bullet and ordered a new tweeter for the passenger door that said it was only 10.44 including vat and that comes as one part with the trim too... Not bad really.

Part number 1K0 837 973 P9 B9 for those interested. Hopefully that will sort the Passenger door out.

Now I have taken the driver’s door trim off where there are NO speakers working at all. I found the mid range was disconnected (suspect left like that when the stealer tried to fix the folding mirrors that have a mind of their own). But still no speakers working.

Before anyone asks no it is not balanced to the left or faded to the rear.

So my question is does the cable for the speakers get plugged in elsewhere before going to the stereo or is it a straight uninterrupted cable to the stereo ?

BR Jason

Hi, i had a similar problem with the driver door speakers all 3 were not working and it turned out to be the wiring had broke between the connector in the wing; going from the door to the car. undo the rubber and check to see if a brown speaker wire has chaffed, apparently very common problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up trying to find the fault and have had the dealer look at it.

Now it is an import and out of warranty but they have said it needs a new stereo and they will replace it under warranty.

Now for the bad news..... They left screwdriver lever marks in the dash above the stereo, scratch marks on the painted section of the door near the lock where they tried to lever off the door panel and have scratched all the leather on one side of the gear stick ....... Not Good :-(

Anyway long and short of it is they will fix these issues.

Also I have the dreaded white worm on 3 wheels and they are going to see if VW will cover under goodwill or not as it is only a few months out of warranty and they are in mint condition otherwise. The other wheel has got it but It has some damage so not sure on the score here.

I will let you know how I get on.

Jason

Right where to start.

Well they have replace the radio, the DSG gear stick, and trim above radio. I now have the MP3 version of the RCD 500 so that’s a bonus. :-))

I have realised that they have not given me a new radio code card should they have ??? Or would they have coded it with the same code as the old one ?

I need to again book the car in to have the paint work done as they only do that Thursdays. What a pain.

Apparently VW UK have said no to the wheel replacements or even a goodwill contribution. Anyway I will be speaking to VW myself tomorrow.

Lastly the speakers in the drivers door now work fine so guess the amp section of the old unit died. That said the Tweeter on the passenger side has been replaced and still distorts anyone got any ideas ???