Alfa 156 - Advice please

harddrive

Unfortunately I have had to cancel the order for my TTS due to various annoying complications :(

I am now looking to buy something on the cheap and the Alfa 156 keeps appearing in all the searches I am doing..... A number of people have said (including Mr Clarkson) that you are not a true petrol head until you have owned an alfa so I think I will give it a go :)

Does anyone have any experience of owning a 156 and/or have any advise on what to look out for when buying a used one?

My budget is approx £3K and I have a number of these to look at this weekend. As always any help is much appriciated.

Thanks,

Chris

My advice if this your only car and you need to use it everday....dont buy the 156 esp. if has the t-spark engines. They are very unrelaible and thats not just limited to few problems.

Personally, i would my £3k in an Accord 2.0 Vtech, there should be choice for the money and if it has the service history it should do the job no probs. More so, it shouldent cost you much more then petrol and insurance and tax to keep it on the road until you get your next car sorted. Also, it might be easier to shift the Accord a few months down line too!

If you want to be a petrol head and have an Alfa, wait for the newer models to drop in price over the next few yrs, they are much better then the models ending in "6".

Geoff

Go get one!

The 2.5 V6 engine is a peach. Check ALL belts have been changed at the right time, check the engine from cold, check ALL electrical items work. Do not buy an early Selespeed version, as they were problematic.

I still think they look damn fine!

With that budget, don't touch the 1.9 JTD engine, as it will be an early low power version. The 2.4 JTD (lovely 5 cylinder) will have 140 or so BHP and will sound good.

On the test drive, any suspension noises or groans, steering noises - walk away.

Twin-Spark engines should be fine - if fully maintained.

All Alfa engines (apart from 1.9 JTD) sound the mutt's nuts.

By the way, check this Alfa model out too. Much better value!

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/ALFA+ROMEO+166/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146,N-18-4294965488-4294967222/search.action

Get the latest model you can afford.:grin:

These one's also look awfully good!

If you test drive a twin spark, make sure you get to start it from cold and listen for a 1-4 second diesel noise. If you hear this then the variator has gone. This is a £300-£400 job, the cambelt has to be removed to get to it. Also, cambelts must be changed every 3 years or 36,000 miles. Other than that, as above, listen for suspension noises and check all the electrics and make sure you get one with 17's. The V6 engines are bullet proof, the 2.4 jtd and the 1.9 jtd 16v are brilliant engines. Test drive one

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys I am off out in bit to have a good look around so will take note of everything that you have said.

Unfortunately I was looking on the Alfa site yesterday and saw their new edition Alfa GT Blackline so I must keep my mind focused on my goal to buy a CHEAP car not a brand new one!!! :(

I have owend 2 Alfa's and loved every minute. Never had any mechanical problems and they never missed a beat. There were a few electrical gremlins like the clock not working one day and then deciding ot show its face 2 momths later. Also on one of them the sun roof was tempramental but its Italian so what do you expect.

A 166 is a lot of car for peanuts nowadays. The looks and interior are typical Italaian styling.than the