I need new tyres

jpullen

My 2006 B7 A4 Avant 2.0tdi S Line is approaching 16,000 miles and the front tyres aren't quite as good looking as they once were.

I assumed I would get well over 20,000 on them but I guess with front wheel drive,diesel and being big and wide I haven't done too bad. The wear is at least pretty even.

Currently they are Continental SportContact 2 235/40 R18 95Y.

I know the subject has come up before but it always good to refresh the debate.....

The question is what tyres next and where from.

I'm pretty low mileage, I don't hammer the car and I would appreciate a little ride comfort...

Any ideas?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm in a similar situation to you. I've had my car since Oct '05 and have done about 17k. My fronts were getting low, so I swapped them for the rears. I plan to change all four before Oct of this year.

I'll probably get some Michelin Primacy. I'm not a very 'spirited' driver (family with me 99% of the time) so I'm looking for long life and fuel economy. They're not cheap though. :(

Oh yes, I'm running Dunlop Sport Max. Not impressed with their wear rate at all.

F1 Asymmetric+++

Agreed. Got these on my B6 A4 1.8Q and they are best tyre for wear / price / grip I have had. Previous include F1 GSD3 (predeccor to the Asymetrics) and they lasted 22k miles, MPS2 (great, lasted only 12k though), PZero Rosso (again, tiny mileage), and Continental Sports 2...

Chas

Another one for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics - fantastic in the wet and sticky enough in the dry.

Rossos are rubbish - they're too hard and let go in the wet. Michelin Pilot Sport 2s would be my second choice - I ran three sets on the R32 before I discovered P-Zero Neros (quick wearing).

Another one for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics - fantastic in the wet and sticky enough in the dry.

Rossos are rubbish - they're too hard and let go in the wet. Michelin Pilot Sport 2s would be my second choice - I ran three sets on the R32 before I discovered P-Zero Neros (quick wearing).

Maybe it was Neros I had, I get confused. Might check later. All I do know is that the Pirellis I had I finsihed in about 8k miles... :o

PS2's are great but I can't justify the extra cost for them over the Asymetrics which I think are great.

Chas

8K Pirellis....now thats some tyre wear.....did you spend most of your time on the track...

I used to get between 6K and 8K from the P-Zero Neros, depending on how much track use.

A good compromise between the Corsa and the MPS2 - never had more than 5K miles from a set of Corsas :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

I do track days and as cheap winter tyres bought Kumho KU31's. They have amazed me and I've kept them on for the summer, and have now done 4 track days on them now (in a VX220) so bought some to fit my A4 Cabrio on 18 inch wheels. They again have amazed me, comfortable, yet grip really well and cheap, almost half the price of the Michelin Pilot Sports and Pirreli P Zeros I have had before and I personally would say they are as good and with the added bonus of less road noise.

Scamp

Agreed. Got these on my B6 A4 1.8Q and they are best tyre for wear / price / grip I have had. Previous include F1 GSD3 (predeccor to the Asymetrics) and they lasted 22k miles, MPS2 (great, lasted only 12k though), PZero Rosso (again, tiny mileage), and Continental Sports 2...

Chas

Kumho ecstas. £55 quid a corner.

25-30K miles/wear rate. excellent dry grip. good wet grip. My latest set of fronts starting to wear now after 25K miles with quattro and a heavy cab and heavy right foot.

Never had a puncture either.

I do track days and as cheap winter tyres bought Kumho KU31's. They have amazed me and I've kept them on for the summer, and have now done 4 track days on them now (in a VX220) so bought some to fit my A4 Cabrio on 18 inch wheels. They again have amazed me, comfortable, yet grip really well and cheap, almost half the price of the Michelin Pilot Sports and Pirreli P Zeros I have had before and I personally would say they are as good and with the added bonus of less road noise.

Scamp

Yes I've been using Kumhos for a few years since a couple of chaps on here mentioned how good they were for track days. +++

Are they even making Goodyear F1s anymore? When I tried to get some a month or so ago, I couldn't find them anywhere.

I ended up sticking 4x Michelin PS2s on again, which are good yeah, but I drive like a grandad these days, and the A4 is not a sports car either, so I'm struggling to see the point on splashing out on tyres, i might just go for kumhos next time.

My Pirelli's only lasted me about 10k - 12k each time, so when it was time for all 4 to be changed together I went for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2s ..... didn't get the mileage out of them to see how far they would stretch before the car went, but everyone I had spoken to said to expect about 20k-ish. Not the cheapest option but there are some good deals to be done. I did request the new car have them fitted but I think I gets what the factory chucks on ( I suppose whatever they are getting cheapest at that time ), hopefully not too long now!

Is this a good price for 4 tyres, fitted? (Blackcircles)

Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric

235/45 R17 Y (97)Reinforced

£114.19

Including discount makes a grand total of:

Delete Product/Service name Quantity Price Total

Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 235/45 R17 Y (97), Reinforced

(including 5% discount) £109.24 £436.96

(all incl.) £436.96

Someone mentioned the Kumho Ecstas (KH11) for £55 each. Is that fitted? Cheapest I can find for 205/55/16 W rated is £65 a piece.

Incidentally is it really worth going W speed rating over V? I always have, but not sure whether it makes any real difference. Bit cheaper too.

Someone mentioned the Kumho Ecstas (KH11) for £55 each. Is that fitted? Cheapest I can find for 205/55/16 W rated is £65 a piece.

Incidentally is it really worth going W speed rating over V? I always have, but not sure whether it makes any real difference. Bit cheaper too.

Yes it was 55 each including fitting from wheelbase. Can't remember if that was including VAT or not though. I'm going to get another set shortly as current ones have little tread left at front. (After 35K miles though!!)