'98 S8 gearbox question...

davido140

Morning all,

Just a quickie gearbox question regarding my S8.

Slightly odd behaviour this morning, On a quiet bit of my private test track I mashed the gas to the floor for a giggle. approaching 90mph it redlined and seemed to hold it there for far too long before an almight thud/lurch as it changed up.

I've only had the car for a week but covered about 1000 miles and not had a hint of anything else like that. low-medium speed chages up and down are very smooth and you can hardly feel them. I probably did another 30-40 miles after that and didnt notice a thing wrong.

The gearbox oil and filter were changed last year according to the receipts.

Car has done 73000 miles which as far as I can tell from Audi service history and MOTs is genuine.

Any Ideas?

Cheers

Dave

Mine started doing that just before my gearbox failed, but long before that I had hunting and rough gear changes from about 110k, gradually getting worse until the 'box failed at 151k. Mine hadn't had a fluid and filter change until about 120k though. I sincerely doubt yours is faulty in the same way, what with the low mileage and no signs of previous malfunction. Maybe it could possibly be a sticking hydrolic valve?

Thanks guys,

I'll check the ATF level today.

Certainly no hunting or other issues. this one seems quite isolated (although I havent driven the car that hard again since).

Im future I'll be using the tiptronic for any enthusiastic driving, Im not exactly in love with the kick-down feature. :)