166k to high for lpg?

10bellys

Don't be put of by the fibreglass spare wheel well. Psyche has one in his 8 and all the installer did was make a metal suspension frame that sits on the side of the tub. Maybe Psyche will post a picture you can show your installer. In the meantime here is a photo of the custom install I am currently working on so I can get back the space taken up by the tank in the boot.

DSCF0083.jpg

Using square tube as I have will raise the boot floor 20mm and I am fitting new carpet and ditching the current boot floor but you get the idea.

Mike

It's my S8 that's got the spare wheel well tank, my first one had a cylinder but that reduced the boot to the size available in 'normal cars'

The plastic floor is a problem because you can't use it to mount the tank, but my installer made a frame and the tank hangs from that.

It's ideal, I've only lost 8 litres of fuel space (Compared to the cylinder) and I've a boot you can play football in.

Mine switches over to super plus at 5K RPM and I've full grunt from there until the red line, my first I had to switch over, which I never remembered to do until too late.

I'm much happier with the second set up but that's because it suits me

Greenfuel (http://www.greenfuel.org.uk/) are also good and reputable - had them do 3.9 discoverys in the past - cost for an A8 (well mine anyway) is £1900, savings on the mileage I do are mind blowing! - I fully intend to get it done when I have the money falling out of my pockets. Catch 22.. the easrliest you get it done the earlier you start saving!!

One thing to note with the conversion is to make sure that the conversion place understands the implications of an ally chassis - They need to choose there fixings carefully to avoid metal corrosion when bolting the tanks in place....

Autogas 2000 are aware of this I know, and Im sure others would be - but worth checking... +++

We've also concluded that the prins system is the best, although the others are quite adequate. We're looking to set up some sort of deal with a conversion supplier sometime soon, and we'll be getting ours converted as demos....

Ian, what you have said about a deal with a convertor would be really good. This conversion is something I will seriously consider and very likely have done. Can we negotiate a multii-buy? Also, is there some way we can pool the forum information on lpg conversion for all interested?

Rgds

Rick

Just to add my tuppence worth...

Dual Fuel Systems (http://www.dualfuelsystems.co.uk/) Converted my S8 with the Prins system for £2k+vat. They did a great job and they managed to get enough gas at full throttle without the need to switch back to petrol. I have measured the performance difference on full throttle runs and there is next to no difference.

With my old 4.2 A8 with a Landirenzo system, it would run out of gas under some full throttle blasts and beep lots.

Personally, I cannot recommend LPG enough.

Paul.

Hi Chaps,

The issue of Autogas conversions on the Audi A8 etc is getting to be quite a topic at the moment, especialy with such high petrol prices.

I would like to offer a special price (group price) but the bottom line is that the Audi conversion is very time consuming due to such a tight engine bay and I feel that we offer a good conversion at a competitive price with out compromise.

To try and help out further on some of the topics listed on this thread.

I am not happy about using the plastic tub in the rear to mount the tank into without the addition of steel fitting under or over. Some of the pictures posted on here are intresting but again from a cost point of view to re- engineer the boot floor to take the tank(s) is time and time is money so the cost will increase. Also we need to consider that the vehicle exhaust may run close to the tank (asuming no plactic tub) and we do need to keep a 100mm distance from the exhaust to the gas tank or add further heat sheilding (codes or Practise 11 Autogas instalations).

Switch over to petrol function at high RPM is a stratergy that is used on lots of conversions. On some it is due to the fact that the gas injectors have run out of injection time and are staying open so the switch over to petrol is a fail safe to avoid lean top end fueling. Some conversions will show the change on the switch while other conversions will not. It is also possible on some conversions for the system to add petrol with the gas if the injection time goes too high. In all the cases mentioned above it is simply a means of making sure the fuel mixture is safe at high RPM say around 5-6K.

The system we install has this function but we do use a high pressure big regulator with fast injectors (unique to Tartarini) and a large feed line so the function is not used that much but if required it is there.

As we run a dyno here at work it is quite suprising to see how many other conversions are running very lean on full load but to the driver he/she never feels this!

I often advise people that have modified or very powerful engines that a LPG conversion is not a performance aid but is a means of running the vehicle at a relaistc cost around town , motorway etc but when the need arises the engine can perfom to the red line safe even if it uses a little petrol higher up.

Sorry for such a long post first time round but I thought it was only right to add my bit in an effort to help out and answer any questiosn you may have.

Regards all

Chris

Autogas 2000 Ltd

Chris,

Welcome to Tyresmoke and especially the A/S 8 forum. Thanks for your informative post. It's alsways good to get expert opinion and it has helped me with some decision making in my fuel tank set up. I will have to add extra heat shielding. I was intending to lag the tanks with insulation and a heat reflective surface. Now I will mount a heatshield to the outside of the new tub and move the tanks further back.

Of course, now you have posted in the A/S 8 forum you know you will have to buy one! May I suggest a final edition S8 in black with all the toys. Go on, you know you want one. :grin:

Mike

Chris,

Of course, now you have posted in the A/S 8 forum you know you will have to buy one! May I suggest a final edition S8 in black with all the toys. Go on, you know you want one. :grin:

Mike

Have to say (gas conversions aside) that I have an unhealthy interest in the old group B rally cars and I do have a big soft spot for a short wheel base Quattro fins and all, it all down to the engine note.

Sensible head back on I have to say the Audi has always been a good vehicle to convert and build quailty and engine have always been very impressive so yes I could have one parked in the drive but not just at the moment.

Regards

Chris

£1991.32 inc vat for an S8 as I posted earlier in the thread. :)

Not sure if it would be a bit less for you having 2 less cylinders.

Sorry Eddy - is that the price that Chris Wise charges - I was replying to his post assuming he works for or operated a Gas conversion company, unless they are one in the same as you are talking about and I am just confused!! :confused:

Reading back it is isn't it! Chris is Mr Autogas - makes sense now. Appple ogies

What do we convert to when Gas gets to £1.20 ? :-) Methane?

That would be a CNG system then.... And many years agon in NZ I had one fitted to my Valiant (Aussie Chrysler) Pacer 265 Hemi.... never again (for CNG).

From the 220 BHP on Petrol it became less than 170 on gas. And don't even ask about the range from 90l of tanks......

Under 120miles on a fill!!!

I was a bit sceptical of LPG as a result but bought a Range Rover Classic 3.9EFi with it already fitted and even though its the simplest of systems (as befits the slightly agricultural nature of the beast) its been really good and gives acceptable consumption and a minimal (but still noticeable) loss of power. That siad if I tweak the ignition advance (I do like having a distributor) then I can reduce the deficit on gas at the expense of bad pinking/knocking on petrol. The answer there is a dual ignition setup like an MSD with two different advance curves depending on the fuel in use.

Yes, ideally they start on petrol (It's easier with a cold engine to do so) but you can force them to start on LPG if you need to, for example if the super plus has run out!

Duffy, most gas system will auto start on petrol which allows not only ease of starting the engine but also its starts to heat the water in the regulator that is used to vaporize the liquid LPG. Without this the fuel mixture would be incorrect and you may experince running problems until the regulator has heated fully.

The emergnecy petrol start option is only for emergency (run of petrol to start normaly) and a lot of systems ONLY allow five attempts at starting in this mode before locking out!

That would be a CNG system then.... And many years agon in NZ I had one fitted to my Valiant (Aussie Chrysler) Pacer 265 Hemi.... never again (for CNG). From the 220 BHP on Petrol it became less than 170 on gas. And don't even ask about the range from 90l of tanks......

Under 120miles on a fill!!!

Lost Kiwi, you are right CNG is not an easy fuel to work with but I have to say its a great shame that the use of Natural Gas in not more in the UK. We all produce the stuff and its availabilty is good along with improved emssions. As you know big businees in many countries including Italy, Germany (called ERDGAS) Canada etc. Just good good old UK laging behind again!

CNG containers now can be made from Kevlar so the weight problem is cured and most Sequential gas innjection systems can run a differnt stratergy option for CNG with a high pressure regulator.

Dont knock the fuel I think its day may come for the UK!

Duffy, most gas system will auto start on petrol which allows not only ease of starting the engine but also its starts to heat the water in the regulator that is used to vaporize the liquid LPG. Without this the fuel mixture would be incorrect and you may experince running problems until the regulator has heated fully.

The emergnecy petrol start option is only for emergency (run of petrol to start normaly) and a lot of systems ONLY allow five attempts at starting in this mode before locking out!

Lost Kiwi, you are right CNG is not an easy fuel to work with but I have to say its a great shame that the use of Natural Gas in not more in the UK. We all produce the stuff and its availabilty is good along with improved emssions. As you know big businees in many countries including Italy, Germany (called ERDGAS) Canada etc. Just good good old UK laging behind again!

CNG containers now can be made from Kevlar so the weight problem is cured and most Sequential gas innjection systems can run a differnt stratergy option for CNG with a high pressure regulator.

Dont knock the fuel I think its day may come for the UK!

Is that now what I said.................?