Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oli18

Why i'm glad my 8 was manufactured before 2001 (UK ONLY)

13 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Check out the tax increments expected for the next 2 years on our beloved 8s...and how cars registered after march 2001 are affected :eek:

-Oli

Wont be longer before they include the older cars too... it's a moving goalpost!

Its bad news indeed and was sneaked through in the budget.

If you drive a car with over 185g/km of CO2 emissions and it was registered between March 2001 and March 2006 (anything with a engine bigger than a lawnmower) then you used to pay £210 a year.

Not any more - the changes to the CO2 bands have been backdated 7 years so you now pay £440 per year. I can not see how they can justify backdating the change - there will be many people affected who can not afford to change their car to something in a lower tax band. For my family this affects two cars and costs an extra £510 tax per year.

However the government never use the running out of oil argument to justify high road tax and petrol tax, they always use global warming. This is total b*llocks. I am not saying global warming is b*llocks, just the tax argument. A couple of quick sums prove it.

If you do 10,000 miles a year in a car that does 30 to the gallon thats 333 gallons of fuel.

At £1.10 per litre thats £5 per gallon or £1666 per year (scary as it probably took >>£3000 of salary to get £1666).

About 60% of fuel cost is tax so for 10,000 miles of motoring we have paid £1100 in tax. Add to that the £440 road tax and we have paid £1540 of our (post tax) salaries most of which has been justified as an environmental tax.

There are various schemes to offset your carbon emissions eg where they plant trees on your behalf. How much do you think it costs to offset the carbon emissions from 333 gallons of petrol. Looking at carbon offset sites such as carbonfund.org this is about 4 tonnes of CO2.

The cost to offset this is a bit less than £1500.... in fact its £12.

If the government used the tax on petrol to offset emmisions then they could justify 0.07p tax per litre for global warming reasons. I would happily pay another 0.07p per litre in tax if the government used it to offset the carbon and more importantly stopped using global warming as an excuse for putting up taxes.

Alan

Excellent post Alan... +++

The £400 tax is outrageous when you think how much we are paying in fuel tax.. the government really are extracting the piss..

So we now have, road fund licence + fuel tax + new car premium tax + VAT (on purchase) + tax on insurance...

Where in the feck does all the money go ? :confused:

Where in the feck does all the money go ? :confused:

Iraq, Afghanistan and chavs with 6 kids

If you read HM Treasury's own figures the tax change is predicted to bring an increase of about £735m in extra revenue. This is nothing about climate change but to fill a budget hole.

Few seems to realise this is coming. It affects loads of average family cars. I suspect there will be another 10% tax fiasco this time next year when people with £2k 2.0 Mondeo's go into the post office and get hit with a massive rise.

What really bugs me is that the emmisions based taxes hit petrol cars more than diesels, yet diesels produce more pollution than petrol cars (CO2 excepted).

I feel sorry for all you folk... at least I have the option of packing up and heading back to the antipodes..... (where petrol is less than 2/3 the cost of here and diesel is still a dirty word).

The new limit before your car is in Band M = 255 g/km of CO2's

Melchior's 07 A8 4.2 FSI quattro Sport LWB = 259 g/Km of CO2's

:rolleyes:

There is a chance they will delay the tax increases on pre 06 cars I think. Really it was never expected the increases would be retrospective and its certainly been a factor in the battering they have had in the recent local elections.

Its down to self preservation now. The labour party are in deep deep ****, they have already shown they are willing to repeal unpopular tax increases from the recent budget if it buys them a bit more time in power.

We will have to wait and see but its all over the press this morning that they are considering delaying the recent big increases in motoring taxes to try and reduce the damage. They dont really have many other cards to play.

Where in the feck does all the money go ?

It goes to sponsor unwanted foreigners coming into this country and is typical of all labour governments that I can remember, which includes the awfulness of Harold Wilson and his cohorts. Those of us who recall his cheating, lying and inflation (15% plus) of the late seventies, did'nt vote for this awful rubbish currently in, but someone must have! The global warming lie is simply a taxation opportunity and motorists are such easy targets.

I agree with the theme about car tax costs and I am delighted my 8 is November 2000 with only 65K miles. I went for a day's shopping to Calais from south Wales last week and did 468 miles in a day at an average of 29.2mpg, so we all know what brilliant value they are. Pre-March 2001 low mileage 8's will probably start to get better prices anytime now I reckon.