Golf

m4ttm4son

Got a few games lined up over the summer 9nothing serious), so looking to get some new irons and some practice in to improve my game a bit. I'm not utterly useless, but high handicap and using my Dad's old blades aren't helping, so been looking at these wilsons: http://www.118golf.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=3477.

Heard some good things about them and would love to hear anyone's opinion on them you have one, but mainly I wanted to ask; Is it worth the extra £70 for graphite shafts over the steel?

Cheers for any input.

Only just getting into golf too. I've got some MD forged eql superstrongs. Only paid £200 from a really decent Irish chap on ebay. Really nice beginners clubs as quite forgiving.

I would stick with steel to be honest. Graphite tends to be for women more as lighter. I like a bit of weight, helps control my swing.

Sure there must be some decent players on here that will chip in!

[ps if u are taller or shorter than 6ft - may be worth going to a shop and getting a fitting].

I'd recommend Taylor Made or Callaway if you had a large budget, but for beginners club from a well-known brand, I don't think you can beat Hippo.

Something like this would be an excellent buy:

http://www.affordablegolf.co.uk/_search.php?q=hippo%20irons&gclid=CN_XntrJoZMCFQoDGgodsy2knQ

Failing that, these Mizuno irons look pretty good too:

http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/product/product.asp?product_ID=692

:beer:

Sidicks

OK, I'll admit it, I'm a total golf club whore and have just splashed out on a set of these

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32942&stc=1&d=1210624633

and I'm loving them (even though I'll be the first to admit I'm probably not quite good enough to play them).

Anyway, I started off with Hippo and I'd still maintain they're probably the best starters clubs you can buy for performance and value for money.

Having said that, if you fancy a set of Titleist 755s I've got a set due to hit the bay, (plus a spare driver, fairway wood and hybrid). By order of Mrs Richy, I have to shift them or else.

post-1257-137914415713_thumb.jpg

They're really nice sticks too. Everyone I know that have the RAC's swear by them. +++

Just realised, I lied !!

I have the RAC Forged TP irons 3-PW (not the muscleback version) Custom fit with 1 degree upright and 1/2 inch longer than standard, stiff shaft)!!

Plus RAC Satin 52 degree Sand wedge (12 degree bounce), stiff shaft

plus RAC Satin 60 degree Lob wedge (7 degree bounce), stiff shaft

Plus Taylormade 'Rosso' putter

Plus TM R425 TP driver 9.5 degree, stiff shaft

Plus TM 300 Series 15 degree 3-wood, stiff shaft

Plus TM Retro Raylor 19 degree 5-wood, stiff shaft

I like TaylorMade!!

:-)

Sidicks

I'm a bit like you but a Titleist whore through and through: -

907 D2 Matrix xcon6 stiff shaft

906F2 15 and 18 degree fairways with V2 shafts

585H 21 degree hybrid with V2 shaft

ZB Blades mmmmmmmm Dynamic Gold S300

Vokey wedges (50, 56 and 60 degree spin milled)

Scotty Cameron Red X2 putter but just tried a Studio Select and have one on back order

We should get a TSN round together some time soon.

you will have to join in the TSN golf challenge day, past winners are Hopsta and Pincher (2007).

Normally held in Essex but hopefully will be when my arm is better, 6 weeks approx.

i use Mizuno tp19 i think

I am looking forward to when i can get out and blatt some balls+++

you will have to join in the TSN golf challenge day, past winners are Hopsta and Pincher (2007).

Normally held in Essex but hopefully will be when my arm is better, 6 weeks approx.

I am looking forward to when i can get out and blatt some balls+++

I had heard that Hopsta's driving on the golf course was even more erratic than his driving on the roads, so had steered well clear of previous TSN events.....

Maybe next time.........

Sidicks

My friend had TP18s, very nice clubs. I like the look of the new TP67s, but when I last changed my clubs having tested a few different brands at a demo day, I found the Taylormade clubs to be a bit more forgiving, and now that I'm only playing 6 times a year or so, then there is no guarantee of me hitting the sweet spot every time, so that is important!

Sidicks

I had heard that Hopsta's driving on the golf course was even more erratic than his driving on the roads, so had steered well clear of previous TSN events.....

Maybe next time.........

Sidicks

As long as you remember that you aren't safe anywhere - even sitting in the buggy! - then you'll be fine.

Must get around to organising this years event!

I'd class that as cheating! You know that we are only allowed to play once a year - the comedy factor wouldn't be the same if we practised!!

I'm away next week for a fortnight, then it's Le Mans so we'll be looking at July at the earliest. What time does it get dark in July? :roflmao:

• 9 years later...