I have no car

RobK

Since I sold my Beemer last week I've been without a car for the first time in about 15 years... and it feels great!

No petrol to buy, no finance payments, no road tax, no servicing costs, no traffic, I'm loving it :D

I admit I'm slightly cheating because my wife still has her car, but has anyone else given up and been happy about it?

I'm toy-less (car less) and have been for a while now.. Still have the wife's car and a van..

and the longer I go without, the less inclined I am to rush out and get something...

i certainly don't miss the payments and the bank account seems to be buoyant. I don't really have the need for anything super quick either.. the 3 kids don't seem bothered and neither does the wife.

The roads are so busy anyway nowadays that i'm happier being in a 'disposable' car. If someone bangs the door in a car park, or pulls out.. it's no worries.. they are sort of credit card money.

I sold my A4 a couple of weeks ago and am too loving the extra money and no worries!! I have access to an old banger if i need to it get around in which is fine as I don't have to spend on it or worry about it!! It did take a little while to adjust to life in the slow lane but having some extra cash in the bank more than made up for it!! +++

I'm not rushing out to get something else but am keeping an eye open for if something pops up!

got to admit having had the 335d a few months as much as i love it am constantly questioning if it really is worth having all that money tied up in the car. also having put £220 worth of diesel in it in 2 weeks i keep thinking do i really need that size engine!

I must be getting old or the goverment is winning but am loosing the will to fight it anymore.

Also keep looking at fiat 500's and thinking how much fun the abath version would be or maybe a mini cooper s..........

But have 2 dogs which is the problem! and they come to work with me and thats where the 3series tourer comes into play so well.

Matt

I can see the attraction of not having a car depending on if you need one but I think I'd miss not having a blast in something nice sometimes.

Nothing like having a full on blast down a nice country lane, but I must admit the times you can do this these days is becoming less and less. :(

I am living in Sydney at the moment for a few months so not bothered to get another car out here. The main drag is not being able to go out for a drive into the mountains for fun, but I am going out with a mate for that tomorrow so it doesn't prevent you hooning entirely :cool:

RobK -A dramatic headline and "We're now a one car family" wouldn't have captured the attention quite so well ;)

We've had one car for about 9 years now. If we ever do need another one then either my wife or I need it for a local reason and hence a cab can be used. It's still way cheaper than running two cars.

Admittedly I've recently got my motorbike so it can be used now for such clashes.

got to admit having had the 335d a few months as much as i love it am constantly questioning if it really is worth having all that money tied up in the car. also having put £220 worth of diesel in it in 2 weeks i keep thinking do i really need that size engine!

I must be getting old or the goverment is winning but am loosing the will to fight it anymore.

Also keep looking at fiat 500's and thinking how much fun the abath version would be or maybe a mini cooper s..........

But have 2 dogs which is the problem! and they come to work with me and thats where the 3series tourer comes into play so well.

Matt

Dogs are too much of a luxury these days.

I'm toy-less (car less) and have been for a while now.. Still have the wife's car and a van..

and the longer I go without, the less inclined I am to rush out and get something...

i certainly don't miss the payments and the bank account seems to be buoyant. I don't really have the need for anything super quick either.. the 3 kids don't seem bothered and neither does the wife.

The roads are so busy anyway nowadays that i'm happier being in a 'disposable' car. If someone bangs the door in a car park, or pulls out.. it's no worries.. they are sort of credit card money.

Someone will quote this back to you in a few months time.

RobK -A dramatic headline and "We're now a one car family" wouldn't have captured the attention quite so well ;)

We've had one car for about 9 years now. If we ever do need another one then either my wife or I need it for a local reason and hence a cab can be used. It's still way cheaper than running two cars.

Admittedly I've recently got my motorbike so it can be used now for such clashes.

I think you need to give me some tips.

Agreed, Rob, it is a very wierd liberating feeling and instead of feeling the hassle of finding the wonga to pay for the car every month, it was easier to let it go. We still have two cars, but they are paid for outright and tbh, they dont get driven that often.

Agreed, Rob, it is a very wierd liberating feeling and instead of feeling the hassle of finding the wonga to pay for the car every month, it was easier to let it go. We still have two cars, but they are paid for outright and tbh, they dont get driven that often.

.... :lol: I'm laughing because of our conversation on Saturday! Methinks you might just be making up for any car 'abstinance' in the not too distant future :grin:

+++

I can see the attraction of not having a car depending on if you need one but I think I'd miss not having a blast in something nice sometimes.

Nothing like having a full on blast down a nice country lane, but I must admit the times you can do this these days is becoming less and less. :(

....If you live in the country you really need a car - Public transport is total crAp!! I went without owning a car living in Chelsea for over 25 years. I used to either borrow or hire one as needed to travel outside London. I reckon I'm making up for lost driving time now :grin:.

Fortunately in my neck of the woods there is plenty of opportunity to enjoy some really nice B-roads (and A-roads).

+++

Not sure if you were about at the time RR but Daz mentioned a possibility of a new forrest / dorset meet in the future. Should help reduce your mileage ;)

....No, I missed that - I was either at the other end of the table or had gone. That evening I ended up spending nearly 4 hours with a nice policewoman, during which time she got a message "shouldn't you be out catching criminals!?".

New Forest / Dorset sounds good anyway but I really don't mind the mileage. Until Friday I had only done 12 miles all week but Friday was a 230 mile round trip and Saturday a 180 miler. I got tailed (at regulation distance!) by an unmarked Volvo going home - I'm getting much better at spotting them. He gave up when he saw I was behaving and I had no doubt spotted him.

+++

Whilst I lived Daaaan Saaaath, I commuted from Luton to Canary Wharf - I pretty much did without the car for 6 months. Although, at the time, I had a new 330d Sport (one before my coupe) sitting in the drive, when I arrived home - it never really bothered me that I only drove it whenever I needed shopping or when I visited family back up North.

True, it does seem like a dramatic change for me though, not driving on a daily basis and not having a "premium" car and its related costs. It feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

It would be great to give up the car on one side but for me its un-realistic.

I couldn't get to the site I work at on public transport so the car is the only choice. It would be great to live and work closer to home, I wonder if that will become more the norm in the future. :o:rolleyes: