Porsche Cayman S

edo

Well, as great as the 335d was, I fancied something with a manual gearbox and a petrol engnie for a bit....

I looked at a few other cars, some more practical: RS4, M5, etc, but cost to change was still a bit over budget.. I also looked at an SLK55, but decided against that based on the auto and the slightly over-light steering.. The Cayman caught my eye, and ignoring the "poor mans 911" comments, I tried it, and found it to be a revelation. A recent softening of prices meant it was just in budget (more or less - guests can stand at my wedding next year :-) )

My review is only after a week of driving, and is based on a 21 car history which my friends and family believe to be "excessive", but I would consider to be colourful, varied and interesting! This ranges from my first car, a Polo 1.0, through some Mx5's, 206 gti, TT, A3, Westfields, Elise, Exige, S4, A3's, A8, Golf Gti, Rx8, M5 (E39), 335d and a few others I have missed out!

First out, Silver wouldnt be my first choice, but actually I'm rather pleased with Arctic Silver, and it cleans up rather well. The 19" SportDesign wheels are the nicest I think Porsche do, although a UK wide shortage of the Michelin 265/35/19 rear tyres is giving my supplying garage a headache at the moment - I'm glad it isnt too wet!

Spec on this car was important to me for resale, and the car has all the important bits covered; PCM (Sat Nav and Phone), Sports Seats, Xenons, PASM (Porsche Active Suspension), Sports chrono and a few other bits.

A quick check on the Porsche site shows the original list was ITRO £52,000. Importantly this car has also had the Porsche warranty renewed, so thats on till the end of the year.

The car handles brilliantly, really feels amazingly planted and the steering feel and gearbox are both excellent as you would expect. Grip is fantastic, and the cornering speeds this car can generate defy belief. I describe it as being almost like the Exige in terms of handling, altough clearly a heavier car, it hides this well.

Switching PASM to sport makes the car lower and much firmer. Too firm in my view for the crappy roads around me in the south east, but I expect that it will be perfect for a smooth track. "Sport" sharpens the throttle and raises/hardens the rev limit.

The noise from the flat 6 3.4 is great and sounds just like a few 911's I have been in. Torque is good (not quite 335d low down), and I'm even managing 29.9mpg on my daily commute, which I rekon is pretty acceptable. The only issue I am finding at the moment is running out of road when having fun - and I've had to set a speed warning!

Fit an finish are excellent, with no squeaks and rattles. Space is pretty good with a decent boot in the back, and a very useable deep space in the front boot too.

So far, I'm loving it. A new Nav DVD was a bit eye watering from the dealer (to be expected) as was a bike rack (no sir, it's a Porsche transportation system)..

Update in a few 1,000 miles...

img_0294.jpg

img_0290.jpg

img_0287.jpg

img_0288.jpg

img_0289.jpg

A mate has one in Seal Grey and I think they are lovely!

Followed him a few times and I can honestly say that I never get tired of looking at the back end. The rear arches give it a really aggressive stance - makes it looks like it has hunched up its shoulders ready for a punch-up :D

Good choice edo +++

A mate has one in Seal Grey and I think they are lovely!

Followed him a few times and I can honestly say that I never get tired of looking at the back end. The rear arches give it a really aggressive stance - makes it looks like it has hunched up its shoulders ready for a punch-up :D

Good choice edo +++

Cheers! I had a sit in a 997 at the dealers today whilst being raped for the (admittedley excellent) bike rack, and I have to say it didnt feel like a car 20k more (in basic form) than the Cayman. I'm sure it goes quicker, but the Cayman seems fast enough for the roads I use!

Good write up EDO - watch out for a few of the BMW Z4 coupe drivers one of them has a real issue with these cars hopefully you will run into him as I did!

I think the car is under rated by many who dont own one or never driven, for whatever reason! If you can get that on a track you will be utterly impressed!

Have a lot of fun

Tone

• 2 weeks later...

Right, well a month and a 1,000 miles on.....

PASM is deeply impressive, but sport mode is a bit much for the crappy roads of the south east...

Average fuel consumption is still around 27mpg, which is really pretty good for a car of this performance..

The seats are extremely comfortable - as comfortable as any car I have owned. Space in the front and rear compartments is really pretty good also.

My local dealer (Guildford) is also so far impressing me - although I havent dealt with their sales people of course!

A small accidental moment on a damp country lane demonstrated how amazingly progressive and talkative the handling is. Not to mention how effective PSM is, which had sorted me out before I could even say opposite lock....

The 19" SportDesign wheels are the nicest I think Porsche do, although a UK wide shortage of the Michelin 265/35/19 rear tyres is giving my supplying garage a headache at the moment - I'm glad it isnt too wet!

If you have a puncture, try your main dealer. I have heard that if a car on 19" Michelins turns up with one tyre punctured and the dealers can't get a new 19" Michelin, they are under instructions to replace all 4 with another brand, charge for one, and put the other three down as Porsche goodwill.

Don't know if the shortage is still current, though

(I'm on 18s ... otherwise I'd have been in the garage "dropping" the bag of screws :cool:)

Personally i'd still rather have a MZ4 Coupe BUT I do think yours is gorgeous - it's like saying i'd rather have Elle McPherson rather than Claudia Schiffer....

Ignore the idiots who cliam it's for the guy who can't afford a 911 i'd hand on heart rather have a Cayman S than a 911 C2 anyday - it's easily the best looking Porsche out there. Enjoy!!

Thanks all.

patently, Yup, Porsche also have 19's for emergencies, but I wasnt quite at 1.6mm...

I managed to tarck one down and my supplying indi paid for it..

Regarding the "poor mans 911", and Coxter stuff - BOVERED!!

I sat in a 997 in the dealers, and just couldnt see where the extra money was. The performance difference between the Cayman S and a standard 997 (not S of course) is just not justified for the extra outlay - say at least 10k to get a nice PASM/PCM 997 in warranty.

Most people who make the comments (like me unitl I tried one) have never driven a Cayman, let alone a 997..

Regarding the Z4M, I did consider that, and I really like the shape, but my partner already has a Z4 roadster, and also someone I know who is a complete cock drives one, and I cant help but let that put me off!!!!

Regarding the "poor mans 911", and Coxter stuff - BOVERED!!

What utter bull:dung: that saying really is. Usually spouted by someone who can't stretch to either a 911 or a Cayman, I have noticed.:rolleyes:

My 911 is a 996 4S. Presumably that is a poor man's turbo? And the turbo is a poor man's GT2? And the GT2 is a poor man's Carrera GT? So, basically, unless we have £350k to drop on a car, we are "poor"? :roflmao:

It's a Porsche .... get out and love it! +++

My 911 is a 996 4S. Presumably that is a poor man's turbo? And the turbo is a poor man's GT2? And the GT2 is a poor man's Carrera GT? So, basically, unless we have £350k to drop on a car, we are "poor"? :roflmao:

It's a Porsche .... get out and love it! +++

Couldn't agree more... +++