Have GTI sales dropped?

I don't think I've seen too many new GTI's in the road in recent months. Does anyone know if sales have dropped?

I guess now the MKVI is almost on the horizon some buyers will be put off.

To be honest if I was looking to change and in the market for a hot hatch, there's still nothing else out there that appeals apart from possibly an S3.

Anyone around here placed an order for the new Pirelli GTI yet?

I was going to purchase an Edt 30 until they stopped them. So for the moment i'm waiting for pictures of the MK6 and hopefully soon i'll get a chance to see the Scirocco in the flesh.

I'm also considering the GT as well due to the MPG. But again waiting on the MK6.

For now my money is staying firmly in the Bank.

I think they've definitely tailed off here in Ireland in favour of the "GT". Not sure how VW do it in the UK but here in Ireland VW have cheapened the image of the GTI cos the "GT" trim is now available in the wheezy old 1.4 80bhp and upwards!

So you have lots of GTI-lookalikey 1.4 Golfs around here, especially since the GT now has the darkened headlights and the black centre section on the grill.

I thought the 1.4 options in the GT spec were either 140bhp or 170bhp - the new twincharger engines??

Must admit, there are lots of these GT's on the road now - mainly dervs.

Possibly yes in the UK, but here in IRL, they've made "GT" a trim spec, so you can get it on the old 1.4 80bhp too....

Still see lots of GTI's, but not so many 08 plates. And almost all the 08's seem to be Ed 30's (which look superb in every colour I've seen so far).

Guess it's inevitable that fewer new ones will sell given it's quite an old car now, replacement is relatively imminent, and possibly people tightening their belts and going for stuff like a 118d instead (the fools).

Must admit i have not seen any 08 reg yet. All have been GTsports. I guess people are going for the TDI GTs instead.

I have been using a TDI myself for the past month to commute.

I sat down the other night and worked the difference out in fuel cost and due to just been used for comuting over a year due to the price difference of fuel there was only £200 difference in it for me. Using the brim to brim mpg method (not some silly computer display numbers).

Alot less than i expected!

I also think the new ROAD TAX rules are maybe putting people off due to the difference next year and on of petro/TDI tax levels.

VW imo need to fit similar to BMW just to drop 40 of there emmisions figure of each car like bmw did. It brought bmw petrol sales back to live. Im sure VW are putting off fitting stop/start because of previous times they have done it.

At the end of the day its just a con/simply way of fiddling the official figures to help it get low numbers. As long as they keep it on a switch like BMW.

I gotta say I've seens sooo many GT TDI's of late, sales of them must be going thru the roof!!!

Even I'm tempted to get one to replace the GTI.

But I think i'll miss the revvy nature of a proper engine. Had a Golf Match TDI as courtesy car and even tho it got up to speed ok...it was rather boring!

Another thought (possibly already mentioned)...

Is the imminent Scirocco holding back sales, particularly of 3dr GTI's?

....Methinks that, once again, you may well be right, garcon +++

If I wasn't wanting the 'allround' features so much that the Golf offers, I'd be waiting to see and test drive a Scirocco before ordering a GTI. Hmmm....I wonder if my dealer likes me enough to let me test drive a Scirocco anyway.

I think they've definitely tailed off here in Ireland in favour of the "GT". Not sure how VW do it in the UK but here in Ireland VW have cheapened the image of the GTI cos the "GT" trim is now available in the wheezy old 1.4 80bhp and upwards!

So you have lots of GTI-lookalikey 1.4 Golfs around here, especially since the GT now has the darkened headlights and the black centre section on the grill.

VW have always done that with the golf. Anyone remember the Driver?

The lack of new GTI's probably has more to do with the fact that people are tightening their belts a little in the current economic climate. The Golf GTI is still a very expensive car to buy and run for most people (petrol, insurance etc) and for which most need to use some kind of finance. I imagine all car companies are experiencing slow sales at the moment.

indeed, its like they have been handing them out for nothing here.

from a distance, you think its a fellow GTi owner, but it turns out to be a GT.

I have an 08 one in red. Came via a nice importer in Hull.

It's superchip blufinned and is a great car, all for less than £20,000 (inc. DSG and bluefin).

A bargain sports car that works well doing the shopping.

Motorway runs (that I do once only now and again) are less nice. It's a bit jiggly and hard for true comfort on long M6 slogs.

I have an 08 one in red. Came via a nice importer in Hull.

It's superchip blufinned and is a great car, all for less than £20,000 (inc. DSG and bluefin).

A bargain sports car that works well doing the shopping.

Motorway runs (that I do once only now and again) are less nice. It's a bit jiggly and hard for true comfort on long M6 slogs.

....Surely that's a contradiction? - DSG smooooths any journey which involves traffic crawls or stop/starts.

What does "it's a bit jiggly" mean?

It's not clear from your post whether you have a GT or a GTI.

from a distance, you think its a fellow GTi owner, but it turns out to be a GT.

IMPOSTORS!!!

I know it shouldn't bug me but it does, I see a zillion every day on my commute. I liked that the GTI looked so different from (i.e. better than) the rest of the Golf range, now they all look the same :(

IMPOSTORS!!!

I know it shouldn't bug me but it does, I see a zillion every day on my commute. I liked that the GTI looked so different from (i.e. better than) the rest of the Golf range, now they all look the same :(

I know what you meen i see 4 GTsports on my way towards newcastle everyday and only one 05 red GTI that always coming the other way.Sometimes on my way home see a black 5 door R32 and a silver Ed30 heading out of newcaste towards Durham.