If the MK6 comes out as diesel would you buy it?

Mr Crabster

Oh the troll has moved forums!

lets hope they do bring a diesel out and you do go all spotty and loose the abililty to type crabster:roflmao:

Edition 30 rules. What a great car ;) so much better than a normal one (not aimed at anyone with a std GTi) ive had 2 already ;)

Lets hope its faster the your standard GTi crabby and on par with the edition 30, and that has mpg in the forty's.

I've always hated diesels since I failed my first driving test in one (I actually managed to stall a diesel!) since then whenever I've driven one i've been underwhelmed, mainly cos i'm used to revving the f*** out of my cars.

However recently i've started to soften and if they could really really crack it with a decent engine I might change my mind. I wouldn't reject it out of hand but would certainly need to take one for a decent drive first. THe Audi A3 Clubsport concept recently had the kind of performance that would interest me but it didn't say what it was like with the juice.

Phil, it's a fine car to have and accomodates kids and their paraphanalia brilliantly, and once you take all that junk out and see them safely inside you can go out and have some fun ;)

Perhaps an even more refined petrol engine with slightly better mpg's would be a better option than a diesel. Or how about something like the GT has with the Twin Stratified Injection but in a bigger size, perhaps a 1.8 TSI? should get decent MPG plus a massive amount of oomph through the rev range.

Hi chaps

Especially those who already know me, wink!

I'm a petrolhead also, but I'm sure that whatever VW produce in diesel will be a top notch technological advance and a lot more efficient.

Mr Crabster, can you define these spots for me, as having a PhD I'd be interested to know how they present? A photograph of the affected area may help, as you may be a medical phenomenum. I've not come across this in over 25 years practicing medicine, and will discuss it with my collegueas in the surgery tomorrow.

You aren't perfoming an intimate personal act using it as a form of lubricant, I assume?

Hi chaps

Especially those who already know me, wink!

I'm a petrolhead also, but I'm sure that whatever VW produce in diesel will be a top notch technological advance and a lot more efficient.

Mr Crabster, can you define these spots for me, as having a PhD I'd be interested to know how they present? A photograph of the affected area may help, as you may be a medical phenomenum. I've not come across this in over 25 years practicing medicine, and will discuss it with my collegueas in the surgery tomorrow.

You aren't perfoming an intimate personal act using it as a form of lubricant, I assume?

hes probably busy on his boat in the isle of man

Phil, it's a fine car to have and accomodates kids and their paraphanalia brilliantly, and once you take all that junk out and see them safely inside you can go out and have some fun ;)

Perhaps an even more refined petrol engine with slightly better mpg's would be a better option than a diesel. Or how about something like the GT has with the Twin Stratified Injection but in a bigger size, perhaps a 1.8 TSI? should get decent MPG plus a massive amount of oomph through the rev range.

hes probably busy on his boat in the isle of man

hi 182 mate, hows it going?

I hope he doesn't use diesel on his boat!

oh yeh, heres crabby

Thats the one!

Although Mr Crabby would probably be the guy sat in the passenger seat, holding his friends video camera. Secretly wishing he had a German built car, rather than the Kia he bought off his grandparents, after even they decided it was crap.

He's gone rather quiet, perhaps his spots are worse than we thought......

As refined as diesels are becoming these days, I still can't bring myself to liking them. They are still far too noisy on cold morning start up and even the quietest models still have that rough growl to the engine.

They might have the performance but I hate the restrictive rev range.

And then there's the refueling nonsense - stinking pumps and slimy hand grips.

I have had to run several diesels in recent years, none of which I have particularly liked. Before I get attacked by the derv heads around here....yes they do offer good economy and make sense for high mileage drivers / company car tax issues. I still can't quite get my head around why people buy diesel convertibles. Having owned a convertible in the past myself, one of the big attractions was the exhaust note and involvement with the car. Surely driving a diesel convertible would be like going on a date with a dyke!

As refined as diesels are becoming these days, I still can't bring myself to liking them. They are still far too noisy on cold morning start up and even the quietest models still have that rough growl to the engine.

They might have the performance but I hate the restrictive rev range.

And then there's the refueling nonsense - stinking pumps and slimy hand grips.

I have had to run several diesels in recent years, none of which I have particularly liked. Before I get attached by the derv heads around here....yes they do offer good economy and make sense for high mileage drivers / company car tax issues. I still can't quite get my head around why people buy diesel convertibles. Having owned a convertible in the past myself, one of the big attractions was the exhaust note and involvement with the car. Surely driving a diesel convertible would be like going on a date with a dyke!

True words, us petrolheads like to utilise the rev range!

Ha!

You know what, he sounds like a typical BMW driver, (no offence to any decent BMW drivers out there)

:grin: none taken :rolleyes:

:grin: just for the record, I count myself as a 'petrolhead' but have been thoroughly bitten by diesel bug - you could say I'm addicted to torque :roflmao:

Those of you who keep saying can VW produce a good TDI to rival other firms. Go try a new Audi TT TDI as it uses the new common rail VW unit in it.

Audi UK > New Cars > TT > TT Coupé > TT 2.0 TDI quattro

I myself have been using a VW TDI for a month and can see the pros to it on daily commute. It has just as much go at lowend revs as my GTI but not the topend and so is good in day to day commute traffic and because of the way deisel burns its more efficient in traffic or short runs than petrol.

Its not like the TFSI is quite at start up either lol :wink. lol.

To me the future choice will be down to what VW do to the mk6 to bring down its CO2 figures. If they go along the lines of BMWs efficiency dinamics system which knocks ~40g off the current figures it will be hard to justify the little price difference a petrol will make to me. Due to the added cost of diesel over petrol and in general TDIs engines cost more to make in the first place so cost more to buy as a consumer.

I use to be a die hard petrolhead but the dark side keeps tempting me espeically when i run one for a while and learn to drive to it. They start to apeal. But i have normally only ren quite powerful TDI.

I do find it funny when people talk about lack of revs though. if you look at peak power theres only about 1000revs between a GTI and most TDIs not alot. imo.

....Do Milltek offer any xzorsts for diesels? - It seems they do!

As far as I'm concerned it's all about performance and SOUND !! I won't consider changing until there's a real alternative for the enthusiast and my choice won't be based on mpg.

As Snoopy says, diesel engines are much more expensive to manufacture. Also, just watch the fecking govn'ment pile fuel duty onto diesel as it gets more popular (for a while).

Diesel isn't the answer to the environmental issues. IMO

For petrolheads :-

YouTube - 2007 Audi RS4 with Milltek non-resonated Exhaust

It would totally destroy it!

I don't see any point in making a Golf GTI, VW already offers at 170BHP GT diesel so why feck with the GTI image?

(Although I'm of the opinion that VW has already done that to a degree with trying to make the GT's look like GTI's with the black grills, twin exhausts, etc - I for one wont be buying another GTI)