The Police at work

sbgwz

As We left for Rochdale yesterday we came onto Princess Parkway to see a Police Vectra pulling over a Mini, Then as we came back 2 hours later we saw a police Vectra pulling over a vectra, no doubt the same car that we saw at work earlier.

Then 30 minutes later we had to pop out and saw a police vectra pulling over a E92 3 series, on the way back from that trip we saw believe it or not a police vectra pulling over another car, this time a mundano. Each time headed in the same direction but the worst thing is we have no idea where the first sighting area is but they seem to have a good view, the area where they are isnt exactly accident blackspot material.

Same car was still there this morning as my brother was going to work, too much time on there hands.

As We left for Rochdale yesterday we came onto Princess Parkway to see a Police Vectra pulling over a Mini, Then as we came back 2 hours later we saw a police Vectra pulling over a vectra, no doubt the same car that we saw at work earlier.

Then 30 minutes later we had to pop out and saw a police vectra pulling over a E92 3 series, on the way back from that trip we saw believe it or not a police vectra pulling over another car, this time a mundano. Each time headed in the same direction but the worst thing is we have no idea where the first sighting area is but they seem to have a good view, the area where they are isnt exactly accident blackspot material.

Same car was still there this morning as my brother was going to work, too much time on there hands.

What an idiotic post.

Too much time on their hands? They are policing, that is what the police do.

How do you know what they were up to ? For all you or I know, they could've been using an ANPR equipped car to stop uninsured/unlicensed drivers, or anything with intelligence markers.

It really boils my piss to hear halfwits spouting on about this sort of thing - they are doing what they are paid to do and it's just not good enough for you.

What an idiotic post.

How do you know what they were up to ? For all you or I know, they could've been using an ANPR equipped car to stop uninsured/unlicensed drivers, or anything with intelligence markers.

It really boils my piss to hear halfwits spouting on about this sort of thing - they are doing what they are paid to do and it's just not good enough for you.

....Crikey! What's up with you this morning?

Sure, the police are doing what they are supposed to, but what a strop you are in! Couldn't you have offered your opinion without calling other TSNers names? :nono:

What an idiotic post.

what the hell is up with you? I think he is refuring to the fact that police tend to pull people for doing things like 55 in a 50 etc when they should be catching the real dangerous drivers. The post makes more sense that your "waste of a post" in the spotted section :P

what the hell is up with you? I think he is refuring to the fact that police tend to pull people for doing things like 55 in a 50 etc when they should be catching the real dangerous drivers. The post makes more sense that your "waste of a post" in the spotted section :P

It's easy and more comfortable for them to catch people speeding thats why. Air Conditioning, collegue to have a chat with, doughnuts...

It would be nice to see more Police 'On the Beat'. But they're probably so physically unfit nowadays that they couldn't chase a Mobility Scooter let alone a Criminal.

The Police system is so ****ed up in this Country now it's unreal; Road Traffic Officers targeted for issuing fines, corrupt Detectives and no one on the Streets catching the people that cause Public Nuisances or Criminal Damage.

When did 55 in a 50 become legal? And how the hell do you know that's what they were doing?

Fact is, the Police have a job to do, and if you don't want to get caught for committing ridiculous crimes like 55 in a 50, then don't do 55 in a 50 and let them catch people who break the law. They could very well have been stopping dangerous drivers, dodgy numberplates, illegally tinted windows, people talking on their mobiles etc, or even the new one "Don't smoke while driving!" which are all particularly heinous crimes. Then again they could very well have been warning people for lights not working properly, and "Get it fixed mate or we'll have to give you a ticket next time.", sort of thing.

I have to say that I believe the attitude of "why don't they catch some real criminals" is most likely being spouted by the same people who complain that "Speed cameras are just revenue generators, and the police should be out in patrol cars instead!".

You know you are all quite right, I personally like to spend all my day eating as much free food as I can and then spend a few hours really irritating as many motorists as I can as really I have nothing better to do.........hey some days I might close a whole motorway for no good reason at all just so I can watch everyone steam in their cars.... I love to sit back and listen to the brickbats, on the other hand though...

Maybe it's possible that I'm working really hard doing my best each and every day to make all your lives just a smidge better. Most days I don't sadly. Yesterday was a bad one to be honest but then it wasn't my relative I watched in agony under an armco.

I know we screw up sometimes, I know you will never really understand what we do when you are the victim and I know how frustrating it is when things don't go as you would like.

But, we aren't super human and once it a while it hurts to listen to a thread that slates us for no reason at all.....

I know we screw up sometimes, I know you will never really understand what we do when you are the victim and I know how frustrating it is when things don't go as you would like.

But, we aren't super human and once it a while it hurts to listen to a thread that slates us for no reason at all.....

Well said that man +++

:grin: I wouldn't worry too much, sbgwz and alastair_a3 do post some sh!te at times +++

The Princess Parkway is like a racetrack most days and for the Police to try and keep it in check is only a good thing IMO. We might not like it but it the law and they are there to uphold it.

Add to that many of the people they might choose to stop might have more than speeding to answer for it can only be a good thing. I rarely see Police these days anyway, maybe thats why driving standards and peoples adherence to the limits are sporadic at best.

You know you are all quite right, I personally like to spend all my day eating as much free food as I can and then spend a few hours really irritating as many motorists as I can as really I have nothing better to do.........hey some days I might close a whole motorway for no good reason at all just so I can watch everyone steam in their cars.... I love to sit back and listen to the brickbats, on the other hand though...

Maybe it's possible that I'm working really hard doing my best each and every day to make all your lives just a smidge better. Most days I don't sadly. Yesterday was a bad one to be honest but then it wasn't my relative I watched in agony under an armco.

Not intended as an insult to be quite honest its actually quite nice to see the police doing something about those that speed and no I dont know if they are pulling over speeders or doing checks on number plates etc, more then anything it was more to have a good conversation about current policing.

However unfirtunatley since TSN is becoming more and more like another big motoring forum you get your bollocks bit off for trying to have a discussion on a forum.

Cheers Bazza Love you :rolleyes:

I assume you work for free then? As you love the job and want to make the world a better place?

Unfortunately, I have had a couple of situations where the Police have got involved. First time was when they thought it would be a great idea to breathalise me when I was strapped to a Spinal Board and concussed. Against the advice of the Medic; in itself a very serious offence. Not that my right to walk is of that importance really, at least they will get there potential Drink Driving ban...

Second time was more recent which involved me being arrested and put in a cell for 6 hours with no food or attention. Not being offered PACE despite asking on four seperate occasions and finding out they had commited various violations of it when I got my hands on a copy after I left the station. There are also other issues which would take me all night to explain, and I won't go into much detail on it as I plan to go into much more detail when I feel I need to. Needless to say I am innocent (!!) and the whole experience was deeply shocking. To actually be treated like a criminal when you know you aren't one! But anyway, yet another one the Old Bill have fcuked up!!

Unfortunately, we have a situation with the Police where they think they ARE the law. But in actual fact they are there to uphold it.

I know I shouldn't but

You and 95 - 99% may not but as in all aspects of life, out of that 95% - 99%, only 1% actually ever stands out as good service and unfortunately that's exactly the same percentage as the tossers (which I know you can't help but we as a race rarely remember anything other than the extremes).

Two of the reasons that the perceptions/attitudes exist are ever increasing motoring related taxes that seem to go nowhere & the existence of the Wombles.

Leaving the debate on the former for the moment, the latter was sold as releasing TrafPol to actually do some real policing in their sphere (and hopefully try and do something other than stopping chav cars & no insurance/tax crowd). However, in reality it doesn't seem to have made a difference. 90% of my 40 odd mile a day commute is on m-ways (plus trips around the country) and I honestly can't see any discernible increase in presence post the Womble introduction. There might be a small element of judgement in this but not enough to be a genuine bias.

Therefore, the genuine question would be - What are the TrafPol doing? Is it paperwork, is it more local type work, is it something completely different or is there an element of throttling off. After all, facts of life are that it is easier to slack off a little in the public sector if opportunity permits - most likely not happening for the vast majority but as punters we only see the end results, not the reasons (good or bad).

Like I've said above, I don't doubt that a strong majority work with what are the best intentions.

On the death & suffering bit, I have some views that might not necessarily be the norm but the general frustration is often that this can be over played and I suspect slightly frustrating for many people when the targets to avoid this appear on the face of it to be relatively simplistic.

I think the problem here is a lot of perception and a little reality. Those of us with brain cells that aren't incapable of accepting that in many case you are doing your absolute best and there is a good degree of sympathy that often you can't control the focus of your actions and the available methods of control.

However, it would do the force a little good to hear these comments, filter out some and listen to the rest. The frustration of a lot of people is that we don't necessarily see the correct things targeted. Rightly or wrongly, a lot of us suffer a hell of a lot of crap driving every day that is anywhere between damn frustrating and life threatening. To say it's all down to speed/no insurance/no tax (which TBH seems on the face of it to be the current extent of road policing) is somewhere between misguided and plain stupid.

Those of us who drive well (if sometimes a little on the quick but safe side) need to be thrown a bone to give us the desire to carry on doing the right thing. As things stand, it's becoming increasingly difficult to carry on with that sensible approach and ever easier to drop back into the dubious approach of the masses - sometimes ok until it goes wrong, sometimes just a matter of time before it goes seriously wrong.

Mini rant over!

Unfortunately, I have had a couple of situations where the Police have got involved. First time was when they thought it would be a great idea to breathalise me when I was strapped to a Spinal Board and concussed. Against the advice of the Medic; in itself a very serious offence. Not that my right to walk is of that importance really, at least they will get there potential Drink Driving ban...

:confused: sorry if I've read this wrong but it sounds like you failed when they breathalised you, and you're angry that the police got the opportunity to test you after the accident?

....To be fair, Nelson - There are good police and there are bad police, as in all walks of life. I don't think you should paint them all with the same brush.

Within a couple of hours of my 4yo son dying in my arms, we were subjected to a police interview to establish if any of us were murderers! Not nice in the circumstances but the police were only doing their job and it was right. I could tell that the policeman and woman involved were finding it difficult and they were very sympathetic. I could easily have interpreted things another way.

:confused: sorry if I've read this wrong but it sounds like you failed when they breathalised you and you are angry that the police got the opportunity to test after the accident?

No not at all! Basically the law states that if injured in an Accident the Police cannot breathalise you until a Doctor arrives on the scene and if the Doctor advises that you shouldn't breathalise someone* then the Police are not able to carry out a breath test until you are at the hospital. I passed the test obviously as I'm still driving!!

But the point is that if I did have unknown back injuries I could've at worst been looking at paralysis...all because they wanted a conviction!!

* The Doctor in question advised against it because I was strapped to a spinal board at the time and blowing hard into the machine could've caused further back injury, but they did it anyway!

Not intended as an insult to be quite honest its actually quite nice to see the police doing something about those that speed and no I dont know if they are pulling over speeders or doing checks on number plates etc, more then anything it was more to have a good conversation about current policing.

However unfirtunatley since TSN is becoming more and more like another big motoring forum you get your bollocks bit off for trying to have a discussion on a forum.

Cheers Bazza Love you :rolleyes:

Absolutely no problems with a hearty and thought generating discussion, and I can chuck in my tuppence with the best of them and no doubt hit a nerve with all of your professions. I know that cars/speeding/traffic cameras and Police all come together to make a police state determined to fleece you of your honest earned pound and how dare any one step in your way and actually say it's not acceptable to drive like that.......and of course everyone on here is as honest as the day is long, never pinched anything from work never driven like a twit, never got drunk and mouthed off.....

But what you don't realise is that I'm you! it's just I do a job that you can see...it's highly visible, in your face....and that's the way it should be......I don't know how you spend your working day anymore than you know what I do (although I fancy one or two would like to come out for a day or two).

I've had my car screwed, I've been burgled, it's not nice, it's not right and the feeling when someone has done that goes to the pit of your stomach.......but after 29 years the worse feeling is still watching a life ebb away and then knocking on a door at 2am..........you won't see that when you drive past me, and if you do you will think "home for a cup of tea eh"........

I'm not having a pop at this forum or any one reading this, I love it, it's great to read the posts and to share experiences, I'm not better than you but I can promise you I'm not worse...........

Those of us who drive well (if sometimes a little on the quick but safe side) need to be thrown a bone to give us the desire to carry on doing the right thing. As things stand, it's becoming increasingly difficult to carry on with that sensible approach and ever easier to drop back into the dubious approach of the masses - sometimes ok until it goes wrong, sometimes just a matter of time before it goes seriously wrong.

....Spot on!! +++

I don't think that any of us here are saying we are perfect drivers but many of us are one heck of a lot more focussed and aware on the roads. A responsibly driven performance car is much safer imo. I'm glad to say that the last two unmarked cars that followed me used their discretion when I was stopped doing over 90 in a 70 in good conditions. You won't catch me breaking any 20/30/40 limits though!

No not at all! Basically the law states that if injured in an Accident the Police cannot breathalise you until a Doctor arrives on the scene and if the Doctor advises that you shouldn't breathalise someone* then the Police are not able to carry out a breath test until you are at the hospital. I passed the test obviously as I'm still driving!!

But the point is that if I did have unknown back injuries I could've at worst been looking at paralysis...all because they wanted a conviction!!

* The Doctor in question advised against it because I was strapped to a spinal board at the time and blowing hard into the machine could've caused further back injury, but they did it anyway!

:grin: Good to clear that up - when you said At least they will get there potential Drink Driving ban. it sounded like you'd failed the test. +++

....To be fair, Nelson - There are good police and there are bad police, as in all walks of life. I don't think you should paint them all with the same brush.

Within a couple of hours of my 4yo son dying in my arms, we were subjected to a police interview to establish if any of us were murderers! Not nice in the circumstances but the police were only doing their job and it was right. I could tell that the policeman and woman involved were finding it difficult and they were very sympathetic. I could easily have interpreted things another way.

I'm sorry to hear that you suffered such an awful loss Robin.

I can fully understand the Police have a job to do and this is the stance I took when arrested recently (apparently for Police to ask questions they have to arrest you, another brilliant law!!) but unfortunately things have happened since then which blow that opinion completely out of the window. As you say other people have good experiences, but mine are so bad that they have put me off my intended career into the Police Force for good!

I assume you work for free then? As you love the job and want to make the world a better place?

Unfortunately, we have a situation with the Police where they think they ARE the law. But in actual fact they are there to uphold it.

I earn my living like you do, for me at my service and rank it's well paid and comfortable, I get free rail travel, my car insurance is cheap it enable me to get a degree and I can now drive anything with a steering wheel or tiller and I retire at 49 (in ten months) with a really good pension thankyou........I make no bones about it, it's the job I chose to do and my shoulders are broard.

Now your experiences might all have been bad.....I wasn't there so I can't comment, but I do know about the young man at the Audi dealership who lost my trade in ten seconds when he got into my car to be serviced smoking a cigarette.....I'm sure it was a one off and not every Audi Technician is like that......but then again if it's okay for one then who knows what the rest are like....