Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BenjaminTDI

Type R GT - What's it like?

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Unable to get a test drive in one of these as I'm not 25 for nearly another year.

I am thinking of jacking the A4 (only doing local miles now) in for a TR GT about a year old or so, as I've always fancied one.

I have driven the older shape Type R several times and was very impressed with it, so my question is really, how does the new one compare? I've heard a few things about it but not from anyone who actually owns one!!

Comments appreciated!

I doubt you will get much in the way of responses - not many Honda owners around these parts (and I would imagine even fewer FN2 Type R owners - I think I've noticed one, maybe another ex owner). Probably a little more joy on P/Heads and more again on a Civic forum.

I had the last one but needed to change before the current model came out so never had a test drive in the end. However, my suspicion (like a lot of people & many ex owners) would be that it's veering towards being neither fish nor fowl.

Not hardcore enough to be an improvement on the last gen but possibly not rounded enough to match the ST/GTI mob. A bit slower than the previous generation as well, which never helps.

Personally, if I was in the market for one, I'd go for the one of the old ones or S2000/Integra/JDM current shape.

It didn't really do anything for me when I drove it. Total lack of character and involvement, and that's coming from someone who owned an EP3 for two years. ;)

Besides Type-R + GT = oxymoron! :roflmao:

If you want a new one, go for the import only FD2 saloon, that would probably be my only choice to replace my Integra, otherwise I'd pick a last edition EP3 over the FN2 any day of the week, or a S2kip +++

I've heard similar things about the previous model being a lot better too :/

You can pick one up so cheap now, as for an integra, I have always loved them but I guess you can't really pick up a recent one now unless you go for an import?

I've heard similar things about the previous model being a lot better too :/

You can pick one up so cheap now, as for an integra, I have always loved them but I guess you can't really pick up a recent one now unless you go for an import?

Aye, latest DC2 you'll probably find (UK wise) will probably be on a 2000 plate, DC5s finish at 2006 for the facelift I think. You could always get a JDM EP3 instead. Comes in white, LSD, Recaros and 220hp as standard. :) 2001/2002 models are going for around £10-12k. Facelift model will probably be around £14-15k. They might hold their value better than the UK cars too as the JDM fanboys love them. ;)

The new Civic Type-R is poor compared to the old model. It looks better and has a far better interior but that's as far as it goes i'm afraid. The ride is harder than the old shape but yet it feels more twitchy at speed. Then there's the concern of the speed, all previous model Civic Type-R owners I know all agree it just isn't as quick. Or as nimble.

Go for the the Integra Import. To this day still one of the best car's i've ever drove (a friend of mine had one, sold it for an R32 and regretted it). The speed you can take corners is just plain ridiculous. It's as good as an E46 BMW M3 but just a tad slower. Below about 90mph and general track use it has the M3 licked.

It still wouldn't shunt a CSL on track but to better the standard M3 took some going.

Best site for Honda Integra's and JDM import Civic Type-R's: Litchfieldimports.com