the journey home...............

mkoneman

thanks for the comments

-andrew the rears are just the standard kw

-bill the car still handles and rides very smoothly and forgivingly i think its down to the superior build quality, it can be a bit of a pain on bumpy back roads due to the bounce and if i meet a speed bump in town but i treat it with full respect and know when to drive it fast. i cant say i have noticed a great deal of difference with under/oversteer and i do drive it as its should be driven. as for removing the cats there may well be a way round it but id prefer a cat that gives the performance and still passes the mot. thanks for your comments tho

anyway a bit more progress today

at work i now have the my old a8 engine and gearbox out and split ready to sell on (shameless plug)

but on the S8......

seeing all the new a5 a4 r8 with there running lights i decided to have a go myself, maybe not to everyone's taste but i think it suits it quite well, they look better in the flesh but its hard to get a good pic without reflections

s8-2074Medium.jpg

then the spacers arrived i put them on and had a bit of sticking out issue (the new offset would be et13) quite low for a s8 so i dialed in a bit of camber to tuck the top in and it sits just right now

before

s8-2079Medium.jpg

after

s8-2080Medium.jpg

s8-2082Medium.jpg

and finally my replacement parking sensor (the dreaded long beep when they were turned on) turned up (thanks a8 parts) but it was red so i whipped out the spray gun and gave it a fresh coat of ebony black

s8-2084Small.jpg

that will do for today i think :-)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand to be corrected, but I think the 'plastic chrome' is actually polished aluminium, and those water marks just drive me mad. I have found the marks can be buffed away with some metal cleaning paste and the strips look good again. However, when it rains, they just seem come right back. Constant battle for me, perhaps someone else has a solution?

ska- yes they are osrams i think they have been in my past 3 or 4 cars now i love the look they give

andrew- there is no scrubbing on the car at all and i will be at e38 so come over and say hello

the chrome trim is clear covered metal so no metal polish will do any good its too abrasive just some polish with a very fine cut should help it out but i doubt you will get it perfect

mkeoneman - did you go Dension 100 or 300 in the end? Nice install - not much space behind the nav unit is there...!?

alymac - I have used Dension 100 for my ipod connection in my 2002 S8. Very pleased with it.

Zip

i went for the dension 300 in the end just so i had all the feature should i need it, i also went for the av extender and bluetooth add on, im still waiting for the av and b/t to turn up tho.

yeah fitment was a bit tight, i earthed it independent and had no wuring sound when driving so im happy and would recommend it

It's so nice to see a properly anally retentive attention to detail. That last ten percent of effort makes all the difference. The wheels look superb. My beloved is bemused when I take the fairings off to clean the bike and produce an array of brushes, solutions and sponges for each part. The car is so swirled and covered in minor scratches that I am debating the worth of spending the £50 or so quid on the clay, scratch removers and waxes that would be required. What's your preffered lotions and potions for this? I'm impressed enough that I may well follow, sheeplike, your recommendations.

Bill

PS. What did you do with your old wheels? :) (yes I am looking to replace mine on the cheap.)

It's so nice to see a properly anally retentive attention to detail. That last ten percent of effort makes all the difference. The wheels look superb. My beloved is bemused when I take the fairings off to clean the bike and produce an array of brushes, solutions and sponges for each part. The car is so swirled and covered in minor scratches that I am debating the worth of spending the £50 or so quid on the clay, scratch removers and waxes that would be required. What's your preffered lotions and potions for this? I'm impressed enough that I may well follow, sheeplike, your recommendations.

Bill

PS. What did you do with your old wheels? :) (yes I am looking to replace mine on the cheap.)

thanks for the comments i use various stuff when i am detailing as im always trying different stuff i think i used megs white clay and lube, menzerna intensive polish stage 1 with a rotary then sonus enhance 2 and finish 3 also with the porter cable then finish with a nice coat of swissol carnauba wax. its surprising how quick some swirls can come back as i take care when washing and mine needs a quick once over again already

i am keeping my old wheels as ill be using them for the winter months

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I so wanted a Mk1 GTI when they came out or the 1.9 205. If you'd done that to a saxo I'd laugh at you but those little golfs are great +++. Any engine mods?

It's strange, the more photos you post of your 8, the bigger those wheels look. Something tells me you don't have kids yet :P. I remember being in my twenties, sigh:(.

Bill

thanks mate

its got a massive spec but it basically

1.9l 8v

gas flowed large valve head

285 cam

twin 45 webbers

omex shift light/rev limiter

tubular wrapped manifold

top fill rad

mk2 oil cooler

baffled sump

1.6 5 speed box

rose joint linkages

BD clutch

few other bits that i may of missed, lol

DSC03477.jpg

Quick cleaning question - whats a top tip for the window trims? the plastic chrome bits? Can't seem to ever get them clean as you want, always look water marked - unless thats just how they go over 10 years..?

Ah, a problem of many... I've been hearing good reports on This stuff seems to do the trick very well! Haven't tried it myself yet - my trims are (still) looking pretty good - but hearing all the right sounds on local boards.

dose1.gif

mkoneman, compliments with your attention for detail! And your superb cars, both of them. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...