'8's at Inters

A8_Tony

Well lotsa fun and some interesting strip action at the sprint. A few of the hardcore drag racers were complaining about traction but this didn't bother Tobes49 and Botang.

Lining up for the start....

DSCF0511.jpg

At the lights....

DSCF0522.jpg

Launching.....

DSCF0523.jpg

Tobes49 gets a nose in front....

DSCF0524.jpg

The 0-60....

DSCF0525.jpg

And the 1/4.........

DSCF0526.jpg

Intersting how dumping everything not tied down helps by 1.5 seconds

More to follow. +++

Mike

Well lotsa fun and some interesting strip action at the sprint. A few of the hardcore drag racers were complaining about traction but this didn't bother Tobes49 and Botang.

Intersting how dumping everything not tied down helps by 1.5 seconds

More to follow. +++

Mike

<sigh>

On a scale of 1 to 10, I wanted to be there on about a 15 rating, but even though the missus said I should go it did seem rather unfatherly of me to miss the birth should it happen. Which it still hasn't, so might as well have gone... <doh> +++

Looks like you all had fun, looking forward to more photos...

Hi Andrew,

Yup, at the moment it's all purely weight reduction.....500kg to be precise :eek:

It was a brilliant day I thought (apart from the winds). Some nice cars. Had a poke arouund the Yorkshire VAG stand and browsed through the 8's.

I parked mine in the car park.

@ A8_Tony did you change your navigation yourself? If so, what was needed? And also, is your climate control module changed too? Your car looks ace!

What has Tobes done to his car performance wise?

Just weight reduction? ripped out the rear seats etc?

Hi Andrew, myself and toby have been working on the A8 getting it ready for track racing, its not really made for drag racing but we pitched the two up head to head to see what difference there was. The A8 has been stripped down to a point, all of the trim from the boot area is gone, the interior trim has all gone and a couple of bits under the engine bay, but most of that was done by Ian and dave from A8parts.co.uk. The standard seat has been replaced with a Sparco race seat with harnesses. The engine is completely standard, all we have done so far is servicing items such as cambelt, water pump, oil change, replace breather hoses, gearbox fluid and filter change, vag-com to sport mode. We had to do some work on the petrol pump as it was running out when it got to 1/3 of a tank, but thats all sorted now. The aircon has been de-gassed and condenser rad has been removed but the compressor is still installed at the minute.

2396162357_fa2f4f9c30.jpg?v=0

There is still plenty more to do yet such as change double glazing for lexan/perspex, remove sunroof tray, change suspension for coilovers, modify exhaust, change brakes, etc, etc

As it stands now its ready to play with and I'm sure it'll do a good job, but the suspension should help give the confidence to throw it through the corners as its a bit wobbly with all the weight off it.

Unfortunately its not quite as light as we hoped for at the moment, it was weighed a couple of weeks ago and still came in at 1580kg, but we realised after that the boot still had a second set of suspension, anti roll bar and spare wheel in as well as half a tank of fuel. So on that basis its fighting weight would be about 1475kg at the moment.

More pics can be found here Tobes49's photosets on Flickr

Hi Andrew,

Yup, at the moment it's all purely weight reduction.....500kg to be precise :eek:

A nice green approach to performance Dont increase power (yet), reduce weight+++

All seats removed, replaced with lighter bucket seat

All carpets

All headlining (drivers sunvisor kept only)

Most of the upper dash

Glovebox lower dash center console climate and audio

Cd changer spare wheel tools boot trims and carpet

All upper and lower pillar trims

All A/C venting and ducts

Blower motor

Engine trims, covers

All non essential interior switchgear

All airbags & controller

All factory seatbelts

All door cards and trims bar the drivers

Parcel shelf

rear Aerial

I dont doubt Toby has thrown away a few other bits since we last saw it, every gram makes a difference...

It does feel very quick though, but OMG its noisy +++

But on the plus side, its roomy. There arent many 8's you can load a BBQ into without first dismantling it (!)

What save an A8 from the scrap heap in the sky, just about managed to save it before they ripped its heart out :D

Not particularly, its made purely for us to use on trackdays at the moment, however longer term it may end up being a test bench for future racing series, it depends how we get on.

@ A8_Tony did you change your navigation yourself? If so, what was needed? And also, is your climate control module changed too? Your car looks ace!

Cheers Abs, always nice to hear favourable comments regarding the looks of the mota :)

The nav was changed by my good friend Shark90. Although I do recollect him saying he'd never do it again!! :) It has made a mountain of difference to the interior look of the car, without doing more than change a head unit +++

The climate control unit is the standard one, always fancied a D3 style one with the rotary knobs on though :(

will i had a good look round most of your motors even the ones in the car park

mine didnt make it there as it doing some 'things' to it at the moment

strangely enough if it had been there my oxford stand was right next door to you lot

So I wasted my time looking for a superlative FE S8 so I could buy the bra! :(

Mike