Retrofit Highline??

muniyappam

Im thinking of getting a '06 GTi and just wanted to know if it's possible to retro-fit the Highline cluster into the dash. Is this easy to do as a DIY project (i.e a straight forward swap out of the old cluster with the new one) or is this something that i'd have to ask VW to do? Is there anyone who's upgraded their standard Midline cluster to a Highline one and if i have to go to the dealership, how much it will cost? (sorry if this has already been asked before)

Many thanks

Im thinking of getting a '06 GTi and just wanted to know if it's possible to retro-fit the Highline cluster into the dash. Is this easy to do as a DIY project (i.e a straight forward swap out of the old cluster with the new one) or is this something that i'd have to ask VW to do? Is there anyone who's upgraded their standard Midline cluster to a Highline one and if i have to go to the dealership, how much it will cost? (sorry if this has already been asked before)

Many thanks

VWvortex Forums: DIY: hi-line cluster

good luck

Cagey, that's a Z4 Coupe right ? how do you find compared to a GTi - looked at a couple

Ask me and then ask my wife and you'll get totally different answers! I loved it, she hated it, as it caused her chronic back pain.

The ride is a LOT firmer than a GTi - possibly mainly down to the Run-Flats, but I'm also told that the Sport spec is a fair but harsher than the SE. It would ocassionaly (sp?) throw itself way off line in a corner. It is also quite a tail happy car if you want it to be.

Mine was the Auto (the only way I was allowed to have one, as missus was going to be driving it on a daily basis) - coming out of the GTi with DSG, the changes weren't as crisp, as to be expected with a regular Auto box, and I was less inclined to play around with the paddles on the wheel.

The engine though, is a peach. There is enough low down grunt to trundle around, but when you wind it up, it makes a noise that the 4-pot Golf is simply not capable of, regardless of intakes/exhausts or any other mods you want to make.

For me, the car was practical enough, with a pretty decent size boot and reasonable running costs - fuel economy was on a par with the Golf, and in fact a little better on a decent run. Visibility out the rear window was next to useless though.

But, as stated above, my wife was really suffering so I had no choice but to chop it in for a safe, sensible 330d.

I would get back into one though without any hesitation - perhaps an M next time though (Manual only of course, but as I know Mrs Cagey wouldn't be using it...:grin:)

EDIT: It only comes with rear parking sensors - really it would be nice if they were at the front too. The bonnet is fecking Huuuuuuge. I'd forgotten just how long until I looked at the pic again.

2221180128_8d02b5ecab_o.jpg

Anyway, thread hijacking over. +++