Any news on the MkVI GTI?

Muppetboy

I want this engine in my GTI_R
VW you fit that & i will fight anyone to be first in line to order it.

....No sooner had you posted that than...............

"With only a 10hp boost in power over the current model and no change in torque implemented for the next-generation Volkswagen Mark VI Golf GTI, fans of the hot-hatch would understandably be less than impressed with the new car’s numbers.

According to latest reports, however, VW won’t be neglecting its much admired Golf GTI. Sources in Germany familiar with the carmaker’s plans have revealed to Auto Motor and Sport that the GTI will be expanded into a small family of performance models, rather than remaining just a single car. Thus the model being shown next week at Paris will just be the entry level GTI, with much more potent offerings from VW set to follow soon afterwards.

For 2009, Golf GTI fans can expect to see a new sports diesel model, going under the GTD moniker. Essentially the GTD will be running on the same chassis as the GTI but will feature a fuel efficient 2.0L common-rail diesel with around 170hp and 350Nm, expected to be good for an 8.2 second sprint to 62mph - not lightning quick, but sure to be popular with those compromising between drivability and fuel efficiency. This model will also likely come with a six-speed manual as standard, with a DSG transmission as an option.

The next model up in the new GTI family will be the GTI 'Plus', which is expected to clash heads with the likes of BMW's 135i and Audi's S3. The car is expected to feature a 270hp output, Haldex AWD system and an uprated DSG transmission with seven-speeds.

Joining the new diesel and Plus models, will be a successor to the R32 due in 2010. As most manufacturers are doing these days, VW will likely downsize the R32’s V6 engine into a turbo five-cylinder variant, which is also expected to make its way into the Audi TT-RS and the Audi RS3 eventually. This twin-turbo five will be putting out around 350hp from its 2.5L of displacement."

Source: Report: Volkswagen working on Golf GTI ?Plus? and R42 models - [2009 Volkswagen Golf GTI] - MotorAuthority - Car news, reviews, spy shots

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"A family of GTIs" = was that not what they tried with the MK4 and basically devalued the brand plus confusing the hell out of Joe Public as every Golf was a GTI :roflmao:

Some of the variants discussed above do sound interesting though but I'll wait to hear what comes out of VW.

I understand they can put rumours out to gauge opinion but I also appreciate motoring journalists can make it as they go along. With the 5-pot twin turbo now added to the speculation, we might as well go for the full set of VAG engines and speculate about the V10 out of the R8 being used :roflmao:

I've been thinking about the new GTI in the last few days and for me it won't happen... it's going to be more expensive, a tiny power hike with no improved performance (this would be one of the key points to get current owners to swap up imo) and the fact that VW cheapened the GTI image with the MkV diesels with the black grill, twin exhausts etc. As a MkV GTI owner I didn't take that well at all, in fact it really fecked me off and I've stated that on here before.

Ultimately though I'm currently working in central London for the next few months and I'm no where near the 1500 miles a month I was doing previously, so I may just hang on to my MkV and buy a nice weekend toy too!

Ultimately though I'm currently working in central London for the next few months and I'm no where near the 1500 miles a month I was doing previously, so I may just hang on to my MkV and buy a nice weekend toy too!

That sounds like a nice plan +++

Over the next few days there may be some stockbrokers looking to sell their weekend toys. I haven't done any personal research but I'm confident the 'buyers market' will strengthen, particularly in the new year. :)

Not even worth going for the new S3 in my case.

Now this is one I don't get at all, it just looks so ordinary - apart from the mirrors is just looks like an S-Line. The previous generation (sorry I don't know the official term!) S3 was, and still is, a great looking car. I'd have one of those over the overpriced current model any time!

Surely you're almost at the bottom of that slippery slope RR ?

I wonder where the ski lift will take you next? My money is on you going for a potential GTI-R in 2010! :grin:

.... :lol: I thought I had arrived at the bottom of that slope a loooong time ago!

I've got 2 more mods on the car that none of you guys even know about until the next couple of weeks.

Late 2010 would be the very earliest I'd consider anything and it would also depend on how my GTI still feels. I anticipate about 80k miles by late 2010.

+++

Now this is one I don't get at all, it just looks so ordinary - apart from the mirrors is just looks like an S-Line. The previous generation (sorry I don't know the official term!) S3 was, and still is, a great looking car. I'd have one of those over the overpriced current model any time!

....But that's it - The average Audi buyer really doesn't want to stand loud n proud (unlike many GTI lads - Just look at yours and mine avatars!). Each to their own, I guess.

+++

"apart from the mirrors"...

...and the S3 grill with chrome slats, more aggressive front bumper with larger air ducts, unique alloys, black brake calipers with S3 logo, larger side valances, unique and larger rear diffuser and oval exhaust pipes.

Otherwise, exactly the same!

Edited by Metalex

...and the S3 grill with chrome slats, more aggressive front bumper with larger air ducts, unique alloys, black brake calipers with S3 logo, larger side valances, unique and larger rear diffuser and oval exhaust pipes.

I think what Muppetbot is getting at is that you have to look closely at an S3 to distinguish it from a normal S-Line model. The looks are very subtle with a slight hinty of sportiness, but that is, no doubt you and other Audi drivers like about the marque and in particular the S3. Nowt wrong with subtle. +++

Well you're only quoting half of my sentence, so how is that fair? :grin:

I said "apart from the mirrors it just looks like an S-line", to a simple GTI driver of course :grin:

Well you're only quoting half of my sentence, so how is that fair? :grin:

I said "apart from the mirrors it just looks like an S-line", to a simple GTI driver of course :grin:

It wasn't my intention to complete your sentence. I was merely filling in the bits you missed. :grin:

How's this?:

"apart from the mirrors, the S3 grill with chrome slats, more aggressive front bumper with larger air ducts, unique alloys, black brake calipers with S3 logo, larger side valances, unique and larger rear diffuser and oval exhaust pipes it just looks like an S-Line".

;)