Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Muppetboy

Any news on the MkVI GTI?

1,527 posts in this topic

Seem to remember hearing deliveries are this summer? I might be talking tosh though... I'm not in the market for one. :P

My VW dealer is expecting a Mk6 GTI around March but it isn't absolutely confirmed yet. Best not to hold one's breath!

+++

RR, you planning to change?

....Definitely not. I've no doubt that the Mk6, aka Mk5.5, will be a good car because it uses so much from the Mk5, but it's taken a lot of time and effort and money to get my Mk5 GTI to where it is now and I'm extremely happy with it. Bespoke VWR-KW suspension next week and engine mounts later.

My VW dealer has promised me the first test-drive when it arrives. [< Ooops! I now see I've already posted that, but it was a while ago]

Most of those who want a little extra performance will be waiting to see what the rumoured R-GTI is like before changing.

+++

Edited by RedRobin

Yeah there's not enough change from the MkV for me to even consider it, especially since the performance is the same - I've said this before but VW have really missed a trick there.

^^^^

I'm not so sure VW haven't acted quite wisely - The whole industry is under pressure to meet various eco requirements and the goal-posts keep getting moved. Rather than have to take a longer term gamble and invest more, I think VW (and no doubt others) consider it wiser to develop and evolve more gradually.

Also, the Mk5 has been rightly acknowledged as an excellent platform and chassis and is worthy of further evolution rather than starting all over again. These are only my spontaneous thoughts and not that well considered!

+++

My VW dealer is expecting a Mk6 GTI around March but it isn't absolutely confirmed yet. Best not to hold one's breath!

+++

Whoa!! that's interesting, my dealer told me that the first customer deliveries would be October, time to make another phone call +++

Mine is four this year, time for change me thinks although with prices the way they are at the moment an RS4 is very tempting..:devil:

^^^^

Mine will be 4yo next Summer, but no reason to change. I'm certainly not tempted by an RS4 though - Too much of a family car for my purposes.

...Most of those who want a little extra performance will be waiting to see what the rumoured R-GTI is like before changing.+++

That's the one I'm waiting for. If I'm going to change, then that would be the one I'd change for. :)

Received in the post tonight, a less-than-inviting launch night invitation from my local stealer for the MKVI. No expense put into the markting material whatsoever. I thought they would have promoted the event with a more quality, glossy and snazzy flyer, but the one that came was a very plain A5-size flyer promoting the "luxurious interior of the new Golf" with one small black and white image of the standard model and some brief text, again promoting more so the new luxurious interior. I'm not tempted by the MKVI, but I may have gone along should I have been seduced by some sexy marketing material. After all, I am like everyone else on TSN, seriously interested in cars and for me in particular, the Golf as it's my steed of choice, so as far as my dealer is concerned could be a potential customer - although I'm not. I am interested in the GTI-R version should it come to fruition, so hope to have my senses sent into a frenzy with suitable marketing material when the time comes. I Think I'll decline the invitation this time, but hope the new GTI's launch will be more exciting. :)

time for change me thinks although with prices the way they are at the moment an RS4 is very tempting..:devil:

Thats why I've now got an RS4, excellent value for money at the moment

I know its not the GTI but 5th Gear have a review of the Golf mkvi tonight.

Is this GTI-R the same as the GTI Plus? i.e. 265 bhp, 4wd. If so, have VW actually said that it's definitely on the cards? It's just that with the MkV I remember there was supposed to be this special model coming out, and dealers even seemed convinced it would come a year-or-two ago. Can anyone remember what model I'm talking about; think it had the same sort of power as the rumoured Plus?

Also, two questions: will the Mk VI GTI variant that I'm talking about above have i. something done to the induction/ exhaust to make it more exciting to drive, more like the first generation R32, and ii. any chance of it having more than 265bhp? Even 275 or 280?

It's just that 207bhp isn't enough for me, so that's the standard GTI Mk VI out. The Audi S3, which seems to be the all-but same as the rumoured Golf GTI Plus model, is as dull as dishwater to drive IMO and not very eventful (no offence, but I found the same with the Mk V GTI), so-much-so that I'm seriously considering a Cooper S Works instead (only 208bhp, about £25k with Recaros and extras, but lots of fun and noise etc). Also, power-wise, for £25k (probably the same as the Plus) the Focus RS has 300 bhp, which will make for a very exciting car.

Please don't drop the ball on this one VW - the standard and sedate GTI for the people wanting a fast family hatchback, the Plus model for the real enthusiasts?

Edited by jaydash

jaydash - I think you are likely to be disappointed. If you check out this vid you'll see that VW have unfortunately taken steps to caccoon you from hearing what's going on : -

The Show - Fifth Gear

I know it's only the standard Golf at this stage but it doesn't bode well for the enthusiast.

It's all speculation at this stage as to whether the R-GTI or GTI-R or whatever, will actually be produced and though it's logical for it to have an S3 265 bhp engine, who knows. I'd like to see it with the TT-RS twin turbo 5-cylinder engine.

Either way, the rumours will damage sales of the Mk6 GTI because enthusiasts will wait.

It's just that 207bhp isn't enough for me, so that's the standard GTI Mk VI out......I'm seriously considering a Cooper S Works instead (only 208bhp, about £25k with Recaros and extras, but lots of fun and noise etc). Also, power-wise, for £25k (probably the same as the Plus) the Focus RS has 300 bhp, which will make for a very exciting car.

Simple. Tune the GTI then make comment; you won't be disappointed and you'll soon forget about an impractacle and less powered mini. :)

Simple. Tune the GTI then make comment; you won't be disappointed and you'll soon forget about an impractacle and less powered mini. :)

....Exactly!

That's why the Golf has been so successful - The Mk5 GTI is truly an excellent allrounder - Jeremy Clarkson wasn't lying.

The BMW-Mini is a great car but has some limitations which the GTI doesn't have.

+++

....Exactly!

That's why the Golf has been so successful - The Mk5 GTI is truly an excellent allrounder - Jeremy Clarkson wasn't lying.

The BMW-Mini is a great car but has some limitations which the GTI doesn't have.

+++

Such as only being able to fit two Eastpak Rucky bags in the boot.

I test drove one before deciding on the Golf but it's so unpractical it's crazy.

I honestly struggle to think of anything that has all the qualities of the Golf (good handling, performance, roomy, build (apart from the dash rattles) & not too expensive to run) for the inital outlay.

Edited by jamiey

Is this GTI-R the same as the GTI Plus? i.e. 265 bhp, 4wd. If so, have VW actually said that it's definitely on the cards? It's just that with the MkV I remember there was supposed to be this special model coming out, and dealers even seemed convinced it would come a year-or-two ago. Can anyone remember what model I'm talking about; think it had the same sort of power as the rumoured Plus?

Also, two questions: will the Mk VI GTI variant that I'm talking about above have i. something done to the induction/ exhaust to make it more exciting to drive, more like the first generation R32, and ii. any chance of it having more than 265bhp? Even 275 or 280?

It's just that 207bhp isn't enough for me, so that's the standard GTI Mk VI out. The Audi S3, which seems to be the all-but same as the rumoured Golf GTI Plus model, is as dull as dishwater to drive IMO and not very eventful (no offence, but I found the same with the Mk V GTI), so-much-so that I'm seriously considering a Cooper S Works instead (only 208bhp, about £25k with Recaros and extras, but lots of fun and noise etc). Also, power-wise, for £25k (probably the same as the Plus) the Focus RS has 300 bhp, which will make for a very exciting car.

Please don't drop the ball on this one VW - the standard and sedate GTI for the people wanting a fast family hatchback, the Plus model for the real enthusiasts?

I think the model you are thinking of is the Golf R36. In the end it turned out to be a Passat.

100% agree with you on the bhp comments, there are loads of people that will tell you power isnt everything (most of them are here on TSN) but i think a power increase is important. Im not saying it needs 290bhp like the new Ford RS but VW should have used the Edition 30 set-up at least (mpg,co2 yada yada yada).

The mkiv GTI (not the mk5.5 as many current owners are calling it in an attempt to stay up to date) really does need the Gti-R / R-Gti but with the current climate i think its a long shot.

I take your point, and if I decided to buy a second-hand Mk V, I think that's what I would do as a compromise.

However, my point still stands, because I'm looking at spending £25k on a brand new Golf. I've driven the latest S3 and believe the refinement, noise, power delivery, speed etc will be pretty-much the same as a tuned Mk VI GTI. I genuinely found the S3 boring to drive - it didn't feel/ seem fast when you boot it, and I didn't see why I should part with £30k for it.

I guess power isn't *everything*, as owners of the older style Minis will doubtless testify to. And no, I'm not contradicting myself because the standard GTI - which will have 207bhp, something I said above isn't enough - isn't exactly a lighweight, chuckable, nimble little car.

I'm honestly not trying to knock everyones car here! I think RedRobin got my point: that they need to make the higher-end models enthusiasts cars, whatever the current financial climate, or just forget them. I remember driving an original R32 and it was a bit bonkers, the induction noise, the exhaust sound, the mega sensitive throttle - doubtless an event e very time you drive it, but I missed out on buying the last of them.

The mkiv GTI (not the mk5.5 as many current owners are calling it in an attempt to stay up to date) really does need the Gti-R / R-Gti but with the current climate i think its a long shot.

....Yes, any plans for the 'R-GTI' may well get scuppered due to the continued threat of 'eco' changes in the car industry.

Regarding the Mk5.5 label - It's one which so many different journalists and people have independently used to quite accurately describe what VW have quite consciously produced.

+++

....Yes, any plans for the 'R-GTI' may well get scuppered due to the continued threat of 'eco' changes in the car industry.

Regarding the Mk5.5 label - It's one which so many different journalists and people have independently used to quite accurately describe what VW have quite consciously produced.

+++

Sorry Red my comment was for you because i know you love to state 5.5 at every possible time, but it was a joke its just im at work and this computer wont let me put smilies on. I tottaly agree with you and the rest about the 5.5 thing. :-). Lazy VW

Sorry Red my comment was for you because i know you love to state 5.5 at every possible time, but it was a joke its just im at work and this computer wont let me put smilies on. I tottaly agree with you and the rest about the 5.5 thing. :-). Lazy VW

....No problem, mate - The raw turbo'd power of smilies!! :grin:

The 5.5 label isn't necessarily a bad thing - I think that people expected more of a fundamental change like Mk5 had changed from Mk4, whereas we've got more of a Mk1 to Mk2 change (sort of). VW have consciously done their best to evolve the Golf design organically - It's their most successful model and directly succeeds their original 'Car Of The People' Beetle aka Bug.

The Mk5 has been acclaimed as a very successful design (not in commercial profit terms) and is a hard act to follow. There's a lot of good sense in evolving it organically - If it ain't broke, don't mend it.

+++:cool:

I take your point, and if I decided to buy a second-hand Mk V, I think that's what I would do as a compromise.

However, my point still stands, because I'm looking at spending £25k on a brand new Golf. I've driven the latest S3 and believe the refinement, noise, power delivery, speed etc will be pretty-much the same as a tuned Mk VI GTI. I genuinely found the S3 boring to drive - it didn't feel/ seem fast when you boot it, and I didn't see why I should part with £30k for it.

I guess power isn't *everything*, as owners of the older style Minis will doubtless testify to. And no, I'm not contradicting myself because the standard GTI - which will have 207bhp, something I said above isn't enough - isn't exactly a lighweight, chuckable, nimble little car.

I'm honestly not trying to knock everyones car here! I think RedRobin got my point: that they need to make the higher-end models enthusiasts cars, whatever the current financial climate, or just forget them. I remember driving an original R32 and it was a bit bonkers, the induction noise, the exhaust sound, the mega sensitive throttle - doubtless an event e very time you drive it, but I missed out on buying the last of them.

....Yes, that was the point I was trying to make - VAG need to make their higher-end models enthusiasts cars. I don't know how well the climate will accept it unfortunately but I'm certainly not giving up on being a petrolhead until absolutely forced to.

I think that a tuned (more than just a remap) Mk5 GTI might not be lightweight but is more tactile and nimble than an Audi. The quattro system doesn't deliver much feedback unless you are pushing it very hard.

The bottom line is achieving tactile feedback and excitement (not of the brown trouser variety!) in your ride. That's why I've modified my GTI so much.

The Scirocco is a perfect example of a good car which badly needs modifying in order to satisfy an enthusiast. Whereas an Evo X already has all the performance goodies straight out of the box.

Ultimately we each have our individual preferences for what we seek in a car.

+++

I lusted after an S3 for ages, and then I drove one. The steering is so numb compared to the GTI's I was really shocked. The dissapointing thing is surely it couldn't be that hard to make it as good as the GTI's? It just lacked feel and felt over-assited. The driving position wasn't as nice either IMO. The cabin is beautiful though - the mkVI Golfs interior is looking pretty lush too from the photos which is great news.

Regarding the enthusiast thing.. I went from the previous Cooper S works to the GTI. And I did really miss razor sharp steering and in particular the Supercharger noise (and the also the general character it has in abundance). So much so I ditched the GTI and got another Mini. Big mistake - I couldn't believe how hard the ride was after owning the Golf, and the moaning I got from the GF that I went back to the Mini was amazing. Fortunatly I managed to sell it on quickly for what I paid for it and got another GTI. As has already been said the balance between it being fun, conforatable and practical is amazing. The Mini will make you smile more without question, but it not much use at Ikea :-P, or if you want to go on a road trip with 3 or 4 others.

The Golf handles superbly and yet is comfortable, has a wonderful feeling manual gearbox (or the techincally wonderful DSG if that's your thing), it looks great and has a classless image, and it doesn't cost the earth (people that want to spend about 10K on a car and can now afford to get a MKV are getting an amazing bargain for the money IMO).

I was thinking about a used 135i as my next car as I wanted a change and rear wheel drive (and all that power out of the box), but having seeing pictures of the MKVI GTI I might have changed my mind. I think it's looking great - I would really want the GTI-R / R32 sucessor though ideally like others have said, so I hope VW at least confirm or deny it soon and don't make us wait and wonder - I doubt they will though.

Although I was also thinking that if the the MKIV is anything like the MKV, then it might be possible to run a new one for a year, sell it for the new model (if it appears) and not loose much money at all. It took ages for the GTI's prices to get realistic. Although part of that was probably the waiting list and if the new model is quicker to build then the premium might not be there like the last model..

Which is surely why VW should look produce the GTI -R with a something like a 5 cylinder turbo unit which will be eco-friendly (to an extent) but satisfy the enthusiast in us all. I sincerely hope VW don't bin the GTI-R idea as it could be awesome. :)