Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Muppetboy

Any news on the MkVI GTI?

1,527 posts in this topic

....Yes, it looks bland - But so does the standard Mk5 Golf. We don't know what a Mk6 GTI will look like yet.

Looks rather bland to me.

Begs the question why they bothered with such uninspiring looks.

It strikes me, the Scirocco got the looks that the Golf should have had. Hence it begs the question why bother to run both.

I can see the Scirocco running away with the sales.

Different markets in a lot of respects, if you ask me.

The Golf is a much more family orientated car. The Scirocco is only available in 3-dr, and from what I see on the road, there are more 5-dr Golfs than 3-drs and I'm sure a lot of those 5-dr owners wouldn't even consider the Scirocco.

Saying that, I'd certainly expect the Scirocco to take some sales from the 3-dr GTI.

Edited by Metalex

Different markets in a lot of respects, if you ask me.

The Golf is a much more family orientated car. The Scirocco is only available in 3-dr, and from what I see on the road, there are more 5-dr Golfs than 3-drs and I'm sure a lot of those 5-dr owners wouldn't even consider the Scirocco.

Saying that, I'd certainly expect the Scirocco to take some sales from the 3-dr GTI.

....Spot on! Nail on head etc.

I can really appreciate the Scirocco and am looking forward to a promised test drive on my own, but I won't be buying one simply because of not being 5-dr and not having the load capacity when I need it.

DSCF0514.jpg

There's a 450W stage monitor in there as well!

Only yesterday did I have an elderly passenger (81yo) in the back seat for 170 miles - He kept asking how fast were we doing!

I'd actually buy a Scirocco in a shot if practicality wasn't an issue, but I may have a family at some point in the next couple of years.

[Now, what will the GTI deliver in power - thats what everyone really wants to know

F-P

If the Scirocco is coming with 200bhp then it is pretty obvious the GTI cannot be above that so will still run the current engine. There is no way they can have the 5 door family type performance Golf putting out more than their 2 door Coupe model. Why they don't both come out with the ED30 power seems incredible.

I'm pretty confident the MK6 GTI will have 240bhp, same as Leon Cupra.

At the same time the Scirocco will be updated to 240bhp.

Never buy a VAG car in it's 1st year of production because the beter cars come along in a few years. Maybe it's a deliberate stratey to get people to change their cars every 2 years +++

In fact historically if you buy at the end of a run you get some good deals and extras.

Edited by Cuprabob

....Methinks this is more relevant to the Mk6 GTI : -

Motor Authority Preview: 2009 Volkswagen Golf Mark VI GTI and cabrio

Though I notice it's an old post from late 2007.

I had hoped no one had seen that link in the article on the mk6. I would not take much notice of it if it was me.

Now, what will the GTI deliver in power - thats what everyone really wants to know

Not everyone.icon10.gif

Edited by Snoopy

I had hoped no one had seen that link in the article on the mk6. I would not take much notice of it if it was me.

....But you must admit that the illustration is very logical for the Mk6 GTI's frontal styling in comparison with the latest images in this thread.

Personally, I think it's still all speculation but that as it gets closer, the speculation becomes more potentially accurate. There's a family likeness to the Scirocco emerging and even vague hints (very watered down) of the W12 GTI.

+++

Robin True. Also though if you also look close at the photo i posted earlier of that golf estate theres alot of similar looks too that to the new mk6 notice how they changed the mk5 grill to look similar to the mk6 to get public opinion, then when you add VW has extensive weather tested that front bumper grafted onto a mk5 it gets you thinking. icon12.gif

Of cause we will just have to wait and see but of the two i don't like the W12 one that much but they may at the end of the day use a combo of both or one for a GTI and one for the R replacment or of cause come up with something different all together lol. We will just all have to wait and see what they come up with.

Edited by Snoopy

RR, is that a collapsible zimmer frame you've got in the boot?

....It's faster than that! Note the Monza style alloys on it :grin:

DSCF0511.jpg

Source: VW

first sales will begin in Europe this October with Africa, Asia, Australia and North America following in succession. The entry price for the German market is around 16,500 Euros, approximately 200 Euros more than the current Golf V.

The new Golf is described as sportier and more distinctive in appearance than any previous generations. VW Design Chief, Walter de Silva, describes, "It is more accentuated, more three-dimensional than its predecessor; with precisely defined lines and edges, and with finely proportioned flared surfaces and recesses." It is also admitted that the new Golf shares design characteristics with the new Scirocco sports hatch, particularly in “the roof section that now rests on a dominant filled out shoulder section.”

New driver's assistance features include "automatic distance control" (ACC), "adaptive chassis control" (DCC) and the "park steering assistant" bring additional top technologies on board the Golf. For safety, new standard features include a new ESP system with finer response over its control range, further optimized crash properties, seven airbags including knee airbag, the special head restraints (WOKS) that counteract whiplash trauma, a "seatbelt detection" feature debuting in the rear seating area of the Golf and daytime running lights.

Right at the market launch, the Golf will be offered with two 2.0 liter TDI engines making 81 kW / 110 PS and 103 kW / 140 PS. For the first time in the Golf, common rail injection instead of the old pumpe düse injection will be used. Four gasoline engines will be available from launch starting with two normally aspirated engines making 59 kW / 80 PS, 75 kW / 102 PS. Then TSI in either supercharged and/or turbocharged form making 90 kW / 122 PS and 118 kW / 160 PS. Overall, new engine and transmission technologies lower fuel consumption by up to 28 percent and all engines satisfy future EU-5 limits.

With the exception of the entry-level engines, VW's dual clutch transmission (DSG) in either 6 or 7-speed form replaces the automatic transmission.

....Quality info, Geoff +++

- "Automatic distance control" (ACC) - I hope you can switch it off!!

- "A new ESP system with finer response over its control range" - I hope that doesn't mean that it doesn't kick in earlier!!

- "Daytime running lights" - Tee Hee! Got 'em already!

Otherwise sounds excellent +++.

I wonder if the "adaptive chassis control" is the same thing as Audi's magnetic ride.

**Edit** Yes, apparently it is, but will have three modes: Comfort, Normal and Sport.

Edited by Metalex

**GTI News/Rumours**

Depending on who you believe out of Auto Express or Autocar, the MkVI GTI will have either a 1.8TFSI engine developing "no less than 200PS" (Auto Express), or a 2.0T 211PS engine with valve lift technology, as seen in the A4/A5 (Autocar). Furthermore, Autocar say it will be available to buy in the UK from spring 2009.

In addition, according to Autocar, there will be no direct R32 replacement, but a 4WD R version of the Golf GTI with an uprated 265PS version of the GTI's engine.

This is all from memory, so apologies for any mistakes.

GTI will have the S3 engine, as the Ed30 and current GTI Pirelli have, so no real change there then.

The Mk6 looks a bit bland though... :uhoh:

GTI will have the S3 engine, as the Ed30 and current GTI Pirelli have, so no real change there then.

I think that is unlikely for a normal GTI. I don't know whether Autocar or Auto Express are right, but I'd be surprised if the GTI has a more powerful engine than the new 2.0T 211PS engine from the A4/A5. The torque figure on this engine is 350Nm (MkV was 280Nm), so I see no need to use anything more.

As I said, Autocar reckon there is likely to be an R version that will use an uprated 265PS 2.0T from the A4/A5, but this is not the same engine as the S3 or Ed30/Pirelli. This is a new 2.0T engine using Valvelift technology, and its improvements include vastly lower emissions and better fuel consumption than the original 2.0T from the GTI MkV.

The Mk6 looks a bit bland though... :uhoh:

....Hi Mook +++

I think that the FSI version of the 2.0 turbo engine is being dropped. It's certainly been strongly suggested by VW's Official Press Release which I've posted in Biali Motorsport : -

VW Mk6 GOLF - First 'REVIEW'....

+++

....Hi Mook +++

I think that the FSI version of the 2.0 turbo engine is being dropped. It's certainly been strongly suggested by VW's Official Press Release which I've posted in Biali Motorsport : -

VW Mk6 GOLF - First 'REVIEW'....

+++

Don't get fooled by marketing terms, Robin. The original 2.0T FSI engine may well be dropped, but the replacement engines still use FSI technology, even though VW now call them TSI. Audi call them TFSI - just check their latest brochures.

I haven't read too closely on all the engine options, but VW are annoying me, in that TSI used to refer to just the twincharger engines, but it now seems to be a catch-all term for both their twincharger and turbo engines.

**GTI News/Rumours**

Depending on who you believe....Auto Express or Autocar....

I know from who they each get there info from icon12.gif

Robin your right but i think your confusing a couple of people.

VW & audi have 1.8&2.0 new TSI engines to replace the current TFSI they are not the same as current TFSI units as you say and so as you rightly said been fased out. the new engines are based on the new audi 1.8T unit as used in the new A4. The original plan was Audi would use variable valve timing on them and VW would not. Thats not strickly true but its simpler to think of it this way.

Worth a note on the same lines the 'current' new 2.0TSI engine in the restyled S3 is not quite the same as the non face lifted 2.0T S3 engine thats a close relative of the current Ed30/pirelli icon12.gif

Everyone still with us... LOL.

Edited by Snoopy

....Agreed - That TFSI, FSI, WTF SI, titling is mighty confusing!

+++

**GTI News/Rumours**

In addition, according to Autocar, there will be no direct R32 replacement, but a 4WD R version of the Golf GTI with an uprated 265PS version of the GTI's engine.

This is all from memory, so apologies for any mistakes.

Interesting developments as i was thinking about the S3 Sportback as my next car,but if above is true then i would have to see how the R version GTi compares.

I really hope that Vw go with this as i am sure it would appeal to many current GTi owners myself included.

Hope you managed a good deal on the S3 Sportback are you selling your GTi privately..+++

Have there been any issues with the current 2.0T FSI engine which have caused this redesign? Or, are the changes to improve power output / emissions?

You just got to question why the developments so soon when this engine has won awards in very recent years.

Edited by Tarmac_Terrorist

Remember theres also been more than 1 version of the 200PS TFSI engine in the current GTI. They often like to fiddle.