Any news on the MkVI GTI?

Muppetboy

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These photos are probably the best representation of what carbon gray actually looks like that i have seen so far

Carbon grey 5dr Interlagos here at last (more pix)

I don't know if they will do much to the handling for the R myself its not like VW to do a focus RS type car from history. The Scirocco R should give us some clues to what the Golf R will be like when it arrives.

Like that carbon grey. I was never a fan of the sparkling graphite; reminded me of that plastic you can get with the sparkly bits in it :grin:

Speaking of the R's, I saw a lovely DBP R rocco in VW Driver mag. Very very nice :cool:

These photos are probably the best representation of what carbon gray actually looks like that i have seen so far

Carbon grey 5dr Interlagos here at last (more pix)

Carbon gray looks great in those pics, although I wonder if it would be any easier than black to keep looking good. I've already decided that I'm never getting black again as it's just so much hard work, but I do like the darker colours when clean. If my next car is a GTI, then it'll most likely be in either carbon/steel gray, or the safe and easy maintenance reflex silver.

IMO those wheels on the photo are nicer than the Monza IIs.

I liked the Monzas on the MKV but VW should have made an effort and came up with a new wheel for the MKV1. Would also have differentiated better as well since they are similar looking on other areas.

The Porsche influence is obviously already happening and VW have borrowed the 911 aesthetic design engineer, the laziest engineer on the planet:roflmao:

The problem is my hart does not know what it wants lol. I just don't know, i never thought it would be this hard with such a small colour pallet choice.

I have cleaned and polished/waxed two silver cars this friday/weekend and its such a nice colour to do in sunlight easy to clean looks good and nice and bright.

Shadow blue is a pain to clean due to the way it sokes up the heat but when clean and polished/waxed that 'pop' it has/metallic look and shine in sunlight is so nice (i think you have seen it for yourself on that TDI Robin) but its very dark the rest of the time.

I simply don't know.

Edited by Snoopy

Yes, that Shadow Blue has a lot of character and is exciting to look at. It's also very smart. The silver looks good, very good, and is more practical, but doesn't quite have that something which my Native American friends call "Zat!". The Shadow Blue has the Zat!

But colour, like many other things, is extremely subjective and so only you can decide, Geoff.

+++

Looking at those pics, I think the silver gives it a more agressive look, due to the way it seems to accentuate the lines of the car. The wheel arches in particular seem to bulge more because of the way silver changes shade depending on the angle to the sun/light source.

Edited by Metalex

If it's between blue white & silver then go for white ;)

However if it's between silver or blue then i'd go for silver. I'm not really a fan of silver cars but between those colours I think the contrast between the black skirts, grill and rear trim (black bits) make it look much better. The blue just doesn't look like a GTI to me you just can't see the styling details.

All a personal thing of course :)

So the census of opinion among us purveyors ('pervs' for short) of good taste is that the Mk5 is far less colour critical than the Mk6.

Whatever the colour, the exhaust pipes are truly horrible, both in pics and in reality. I think that the styling of the rear, sides, and front, have been done by three different teams! I really would prefer to be writing that this Mk6 is a proud step in the GTI's long history since 1976.

Admittedly, I haven't driven the MKVI GTI but having read probably all the press articles from 80% of the motoring mags etc, I do think that the MKVI is a proud step forward in the GTI's history. Emphasis on the word step rather than leap.

All a personal thing but as the MKVI is so similar to the MKV, I can't really object to it's looks. Some areas have been tidied up a bit whilst other areas I preferred the MKV, but this in reality is no more than I would say for many other models as they progress design.

It's interesting that as far as GTI's are concerned, regardless of whick MK it is, the original MK1 launch colours of Black, white, red or silver (waits to be corrected by Snoopy!!) seem to look OK to me.

On a side issue, I'm sure I read somewhere that VW now claim the manual to be fractionally quicker than the DSG - something which VW driver have always claimed on every test car they had of the MKV. Can anyone with VW literature qualify this? Perhaps this is just the 0-60 as opposed to the more relevant 50-70 in 3rd for example.

Pub stats of course at the end of the day and of little importance. Interesting all the same though :)

It's interesting that as far as GTI's are concerned, regardless of whick MK it is, the original MK1 launch colours of Black, white, red or silver (waits to be corrected by Snoopy!!) seem to look OK to me.

Since you asked for it lol.

1976 MY Senegal Red and Diamond silver

1977 MY Mars Red and Diamond silver

1978 MY Mars Red, Diamond silver, Black, Alpine white(Germay only)

1979 MY Mars Red, Diamond silver, Black, Alpine white(Continent only), Inari Silver(Continent only).

On a side issue, I'm sure I read somewhere that VW now claim the manual to be fractionally quicker than the DSG - something which VW driver have always claimed on every test car they had of the MKV. Can anyone with VW literature qualify this? Perhaps this is just the 0-60 as opposed to the more relevant 50-70 in 3rd for example.

Pub stats of course at the end of the day and of little importance. Interesting all the same though :)

VW claim in the new catalogue

top speed mph: 149 manual 147 DSG

0-62 mph s: 6.9 manual 6.9 DSG

CO2 g/km: 170 manual 173 DSG

Unladen weight Kg: 1318 manual 1339 DSG

Colour wise i always wanted a mk1 GTI in Helios Blue (dark met blue) or Lhasa Green (dark met green) and there are still the sort after colours today.

I think the Mk6 GTI would look great in the scirocco light blue just a shame VW don't offer it in the UK.

Edited by Snoopy