Any news on the MkVI GTI?

Muppetboy

I like it. It's like Metalex says - this is the basic model. I reckon the GTI/R32 will look pretty hot. That silver 3-door looks great IMO. I like the crease down the side - no side bump strips though - imagine what this is going to look like after a few trips to the local Tesco! The dash looks a bit more plush and the clocks look good (I like the fuel gauge that goes all the way round - not in itself a reason to buy a car, I know!). Thumbs up from me!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We will just have to wait till october to see what the 'concept GTI' looks like at the paris motorshow. If its anything like the original mk5 GTI concept it will be 99.9% the production car. icon10.gif

But threads like these are always fun so lets keep the info and photos coming.

Great thread guys.

Based on the pricing of the Scirocco I don't think VW should make a 3dr variant of the Mk6.

Why would you buy a 3dr Golf when the Scirocco looks better and is roughly the same price?

....Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I agree about a 3-dr Golf not being so essential. However, there must be loads of peeps who would buy a 3-dr Golf and wouldn't want the Scirocco. Engine variants influencing choice for a start.

I appreciate that engine variants would have an impact but I would expect that the "best" engines will also be available on the Scirocco.

If what we hear about the GTI-R being 265bhp 4-motion then, IMO, that would sell better on the Scirocco.

SEAT seems to do OK with only offering 5dr on the Leon and Vauxhall does OK with the 3dr Astra Sport Hatch and standard 5dr Astra.

Don't get me wrong my Golf is a 3dr because I prefer the look and don't need the 5dr practicality. I just think the Scirocco will steal sales from the 3dr Golf.

I will be very keen to see what the proposed GTi-R with its 265bhp power plant looks/drives like a year from now as that is a real contender for a next car. :grin::):cool:

From a driving point of view it will just be similar to the S3 although I would xpect it to have adaptive suspension.

Pity it won't sound like a V6 +++

edit...From a driving point of view it will just be similar to the S3 although I would xpect it to have adaptive suspension....

I see what you mean.

Pity it won't sound like a V6 +++

True, but thank heavens for Milltek! +++

Based on the pricing of the Scirocco I don't think VW should make a 3dr variant of the Mk6.

Why would you buy a 3dr Golf when the Scirocco looks better and is roughly the same price?

I can see your view point but i would lay money on the sirocco having less leg and headroom as well as less boot space than the golf. So practicality still comes into it.

Some people will always go for the 3door for looks.

I bought a 3 door mk1 golf GTI secondhand in 1989 for these exact reasons, practicality, over the scirroco that was a similar price.

Edited by Snoopy

I can see your view point but i would lay money on the sirocco having less leg and headroom as well as less boot space than the golf. So practicality still comes into it.

Some people will always go for the 3door for looks.

I bought a 3 door mk1 golf GTI secondhand in 1989 for these exact reasons, practicality, over the scirroco that was a similar price.

I bought a 3door GTI despite having a 5 year old and a 2 year old. The Scirocco is too coupe like to accomodate pushchairs and babyseats easily. I personally much prefer the 3 door GTI to the 5 door.

Just a personal thing I suppose but over the years, nearly all 'hot hatches' had 3 doors not 5. Had the GTI only been available in 5 door guise, I would have bought an A3 instead.

How about i throw a spanner in the works and also mension that VW also has a twin turbo TDI common rail 204bhp engine near production!! icon10.gif

....Hence starting rumours of a GTI diesel! :grin:

I'm not sure my petrolhead brain can cope with that! I doubt that even Milltek can help that one!

How about i throw a spanner in the works and also mension that VW also has a twin turbo TDI common rail 204bhp engine near production!! icon10.gif

I would reply more evidence of VW being behind the times. The 3.3 V6 from the mkV R32 only giving 247bhp when other big companys are in the 300bhp with less co2. 204bhp out of a twin turbo TDI doesnt sound too cutting edge, unless of course it returns 60mpg on the combined.

VW always seem a year or two behind imho.

Regardless of MPG, diesel refinement still isn't quite to the level of petrol engines imo - at least in the 2 litre 4 cylinder category. Petrol all the way for me :)
I have heard really good things about the new common rail units, There a huge, massive, big, leap over the past VW PD units for refinment. The CR 170 in the TT is getting good reviews and they are saying the refinment is far better than the BMs too which is a first for most the BM biased mags out there to say.

Diesel refinement and also pollution reduction techniques are moving on leaps and bounds in the past few years or so were as petrol is only slowly advancing.

I can see room for both

Plus if it happens it will be 2010 and called a GTD not a GTI so don't worry guys lol.

Before this turns into a diesel v petrol thread and goes WAY off topic. We all know the pros and cons and its been debaited to death many times so we don't need to go there again now do we.:) lol.

So, whos going to go to the Paris motorshow at the start of October to take some photos for me lol :wink

Edited by Snoopy

GTI-R - If/When it happens, Im first on the list at my local VW group - My interest was logged today - I've always said that if the R32 had the S3 engine it would be a stonking combination, and it sounds like its going to happen - Can't wait