Coolant Warning on A4 Avant 1.8t

whimsical_chris

they have no idea about the metal impeller insisting they would only change like for like

Any Audi garage that doesn't know about the plastic vs metal impeller is not one that I would trust - it's a very well known design change. I'd seriously consider going elsewhere ... (especially with the price they are quoting!).

Yup I think your right PD, just struggling to find a decent Audi garage around north Hampshire :-(

Any suggestions happily taken.

Don't bother - go to Camberley Audi, even though they are part of the same group as Basingstoke Audi (Colbornes) they are a MUCH better garage - many RS4 owners are going there because they actually seem to know what they are doing!

When they fit a new pump and cam belt, how much of the front of the car do they have to take off ? Do they do anything around the headlights ?

Just waxed the car this morning and the passengar side headlight seems to have moved slightly and the rubber trim doesnt seem to be seated correctly ?

Have I been hit in the car park or have they stuffed the rebuild ?

Cheers

c

The car is back in at Newbury ( Ridgeway Audi ) they told me that to fit the belt / replace the pump they take bits of the front off and the light may not have been put back correctly.

Audi rave on about how good their people are, how that they can work on "lesser cars" like VWs and Skodas, but how Skoda and VW people cant work on Audi's. I dread to think how bad these guys are if the top people cant even put things back together properly !

I have had the same problem with two different Audi garages now, starting to think maybe a different make is called for. :-( Lovely cars, crap service.

Edited by whimsical_chris
spolling

Audi rave on about how good their people are, how that they can work on "lesser cars" like VWs and Skodas, but how Skoda and VW people cant work on Audi's.

They're talking bullsh.t - my wife's Skoda Fabia comes back from a dealer service at least as well put back together and cleaned & valeted as my RS4 does - and better than one Audi dealer near where I live (which is why I travel 40+ miles to get my car serviced now).

They're talking bullsh.t - my wife's Skoda Fabia comes back from a dealer service at least as well put back together and cleaned & valeted as my RS4 does - and better than one Audi dealer near where I live (which is why I travel 40+ miles to get my car serviced now).

Yup, I agree, I have yet to find a garage that I trust not to tell me a pack of porkies and to actually do the job I am being ripped of for. Think next time I will try the Camberly outfit, see how they fair.

Don't think I ask too much, I don't want coffee, a suit wearing receptionist, or even a car wash really, just the things that need doing, done.

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to add to this thread that you are not alone in this situation. I have stopped servicing my A6 at any Audi place in the UK as I have yet to find one that deserves my attention. I do a lot of miles, three services per year, and i can not afford to have my car off the road going back and forth to Audi getting them to correct items they should know about, not me. They seem to belive their customers are outright stupid. One place tried to charge me for their three failed attempts to get the correct item,(it was booked in at their request every time) adding £200 pounds to the bill (no way), i did not pay, and settled price to parts only, never gone back(Walton on Thames). Next place could not even perform a simple coolant change (part of much other work) without leaving a considreble amount of air trapped, when querried, they didn't even reply with an appology, appaling, but asked me to drive down to them and get it rectified, turn off the engine management light and check to see that there was no other damage, (Guilford) different brange to the first!

I have also had front ends put back incorrectly (Docklands) after cambelt change, so badly that the bonnet needed a really good slam in order to shut!

I trust one place here in Surrey, JP Garage Hampton Court Rd KT8 9BY, friendly and straight answers, and doesn't charge you for time ticking doing nothing like Audi...

Great cars but service levels and knowledge are way below expected standards!