[Audi A3/S3] removing a rear wheel on a quattro - grr - maybe stupid

jamieg

Oh my god I can't believe I'm here typing this up but

I've got an A3 1.8T Quattro and I can't get the back wheels off to do some work, "no laughing please" I've removed all 5 pins/bolts but the b*****d wheel won't come off am I missing something here or what? Is it something to do with this bolt in the middle of the wheel? I've got no standard audi supplied tools for this bolt either.

After removing the bolts I've given the wheel a real good tug and also a good bang on the inside of the tyre to un-wedge it to no avail.

Sorry if this is a real thicko question but ............. it needs asking

post-6593-137914418498_thumb.jpg

I can sympathise and empathise... a real bugger.... imagine trying to do this if you had a puncture in the rain at midnight in winter!

The alloy wheel will have bonded iteself to the steel hub - oxidation/corrosion.

You could try: continue to knock/chap the inside of the wheel rim with a heavy hammer - a block of wood against the wheel will protect it. Work round the circumference of the wheel. Try a kettle of very hot water over the centre section of the wheel - where the nuts go, and then the hammer/block of wood treatment.

It will come... in the worst case, remove the centre cap/logo and try a large hub puller through the centre hole with the 'legs' gripping the spokes. You might want to wrap the puller legs with rag/tape to prevent marking the alloy.

Best of luck.

D.

To continue.... when you are about to replace the wheel, give the mating surface of the wheel a coat of copper grease or similar high melting point grease to prevent it bonding with the steel hub in future. Give the hub a wire brushing around the holes for the wheel bolts.

Expect to have to go through the whole performance with each of the other wheels should you decide to remove them.

Let's know how you get on!

D.

Cheers Dallan for the replies much appreciated

Well I've been going at it now since 6:30 and it for sure is not coming off without a heavy hammer "don't have one" will get one tomorrow and give that ago, I used all other methods you listed above but no luck, I had a small hammer typical indoor one but I don't think it's heavy enough to do enough to get it off.

Got yourself a heavy hammer yet??? Try B & Q or similar. I got mine in a '99p' shop years ago and it has repaid itself better than any stockmarket rise!!!

Useful tip from davidhodgkinson.... you don't want to protect the alloy wheel on the inside to have the 'good' side come off suddenly and skid across the tarmac/concrete. Ouch!

Desperate measures: a heavy pair of gloves on, and a rock as heavy as you can swing against a stout stick of wood resting against the inner rim. Whack it!

D.