Aussie R36 Wagon Review

jon79f

Howdy,

There is a definite lack of reviews available on the net or in magazines about the new Passat R36, either due to a lack of interest, or other new models coming out which are preferred to test.

Either way, I thought I would put up a quick review of my new Biscay Blue R36 wagon. I have had it for about 1.5 months, and travelled 1500 kms, so it is still being run in.

All I can say is WOW, this car is fantastic. My previous car was a MkV GTI, which I loved, and was sad to see go, however for Australia this new Passat is perfect.

The power is delivered in a great deal less frantic way in the R36, compared to my GTI, which I suppose is because it is not turbo, however the Passat is blindingly quick. Not only that but as it is virtually unknown here in Oz, people dont know what has hit them when taking off from the lights or overtaking. The car just gets down and goes, without any hesitation.

Being a much bigger heavier car than the GTI, it is not as nimble through the twisties, but nevertheless is still entertaining to drive, and still capable of giving 80% of cars a run for their money through a mountain climb. The achilles heel is the Tyres that VW decided to fit, Dunlop SP01's which are complete rubbish. I am planning on changing to Michellin Pilot Sports in the not too distant future, as I am sure they will improve the car

In terms of standard equipment, the car comes with Xenons with static and dynamic cornering lights, front and rear park assist, full leather interior with electrically adjustable side bolsters, cruise, Highline Multi Function Display, heated front and rear seats, folding mirrors and much more. Options I shelled out for were auto tailgate and sunroof. Only other options are the Dynaudio/sat nav/ reverse camera. I also had the windows tinted @ 15%

I also love the Auto Hold function. The GTI was a bit of a pain on hills, as any GTI driver will tell you, as the DSG allows the car to roll back. My wife particularly hated this. However with auto hold, that is a thing of the past.

In terms of cost, here in Oz the RRP is $65,000. However with fleet discount etc, mine came in under $58k. That is a lot of car for the money. This price when compared to the cost of Audis, BMW, Merc in Australia is extremely competitive. An Audi S4 Avant would be more like $90,000. 325i Wagon about $85,000 - however I believe that the difference in price is less in the UK.

Depreciation is my main concern with the car, however I have vowed to keep it for 4 years, and should be ok when it comes time to sell (I have budgeted 20% residual after 4 years).

Fuel consumption can be an issue, and the R36 is not afraid to drink if pushed hard. Worst Economy I have seen is 28L/100kms, but my average after 1500 (mostly city) kms, is 12.3l/100kms, which I am more than happy with. Holdens and Fords, which are our most popular cars, use a great deal more than that (they run 3.7 - 6.0 Litre motors), and it is really only one litre more than the GTI's average.

The main difference is the ability to cruise in this car. I always felt the GTI had an urgency about it, begging to go faster, and as a result I had a massive leadfoot most of the time. This car however being more relaxed means the throttle can be feathered around town, and only slammed when the need arises.

The cabin space is great (though I question the white headlining when the interior is dark grey), and I can finally fit my golf clubs in the boot without folding the seats.

I considered a number of other cars in a similar price range before preordering the R36, including Subaru Outback, Subaru Liberty GT, Forrestor GT, Mazda Cx7, Lexus RX350, Holden Commodore Sportwagon and Ford Territory Turbo, but nothing stacked up as well as the R36.

I think even had the R36 not been around, I would have purchased another Passat model, given how great they are.

I am giving the new baby a wash on the weekend, and will take some pics and post them up next week.

If anyone is thinking of buying an R36, my advice is go for it. Understand that the UK Taxes etc. make it a more difficult decision, but trust me, you are getting a great car for the money.

Edited by jon79f

Great review! I've actually been working with VW so it's always great to hear what people have to say about their cars. And if you have any VW questions, please feel free to let me know.

My only question is why they would fit such terrible tyres - surely they test a number of different combinations prior to going to production. Is this just a cost cutting option, or what ?

Hey well, that's what I'm here for. :)

As for your question Jon, (while I unfortunately can't get you an official response) you're probably correct- it's most likely a cost cutting option. In terms of its position against similar crossovers, the Tiguan finds itself on the higher end of the price spectrum; as such, VW would certainly be looking for any place where the can save a dollar or two. Also, you have to remember that most buyers will never use the car to its full, offroad potential, so the need for really high quality tires isn't paramount. Hope that helps somewhat!

• 4 weeks later...

Great review. Thanks for taking the time as finding honest reviews is difficult at the moment.

I just had a look at one of these and it was $80K on-road!!! I will delete the sat-nav option as they can't integrate bluetooth at the moment, but I wasn't expecting it to be that much!

Might have to travel to Sydney for a better deal.

Cheers.