Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mush1973

mpg

8 posts in this topic

hi all i have just bought a vw passat 130 s pd on a 52 plate the thing is it is only getting between 37mpg to 39 is this the norm or is there some thing wrong with the engine thank.

you don't state the type of driving you do?

mainly town driving? Motorway (long) or a combination of both?

also when was the car last serviced?

Welcome to Tyresmoke mush +++

Mrs Mook used to have the same model (estate though) and it averaged 40 mpg running around - 44mpg on a long run. Does it need a service? Also, the MAF sensor (a.k.a. mass air flow meter) is known as a common problem, even if the car feels like it's running OK. While it's in the garage, get all the pipes checked for leaks as well.

HTH

:beer:

A range of different things - poor MPG, lack of power, poor running. There's a sensor inside the MAF which measures the volume of air. It can get contaminated with crud or just fail - they're renowned for it.

HTH

I've just replaced my MAF sensor as it failed and my car (1.8T 20V Sport Tip) is 84K on the clock. having replaced it the MPG is now back to the Mid 30s (i do about 90% motorway traveling) the car now responds very smoothly.

I have a similar model with 116k miles that gives 55mpg on a run and 47-48 overall and fitted with a chip so you seem to be getting less than you should. I get 34-36 towing a caravan. Have you replaced air-filter and cleaned filter air box too. Obvious I know. Also rev it hard regularly to clean out all the soot!