0-60 etc on your ipod/iphone?

bazza_g

:grin: Just came across this - Dynolicious - its available on the itunes app store and claims to be able to measure......

0-60 MPH

Other Speed Tests (0-10 MPH through 0-100 MPH in 10MPH increments)

Quarter Mile Elapsed Time

Quarter Mile Trap Speed

Elapsed Time and Trap Speed for standard intervals (60', 330', 1/8 Mi, 1000')

Lateral G's (current and peak)

Braking G's (current and peak)

Wheel Horsepower

Estimated Engine Horsepower

Realtime Speedometer and Graphs

Realtime graphical skidpad display

View results for latest test run or any saved run

View averages based on vehicle, date, or modification

Compare results between vehicles, dates, or before-and-after modifications

0-60 MPH: +/- 0.08 sec*

Quarter Mile: +/- 0.10 sec*, +/- 1.5 MPH*

*Results based on preliminary testing. A detailed accuracy analysis using professional timing equipment at a regulation dragstrip will be posted soon.

:confused: If its only using the ipod/iphones accellerometer how does it know when you've hit 60mph?? Or am I missing something? +++

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grin: yup - one of the engineers at work just sat me down and explained this whole acceleration/time/velocity thing - its pretty cool - the speedo on the ipod matches the speedo on the car almost exactly, very strange to watch +++

:grin: After a 5.68 to 60 this morning, I'm going to work on my launch this evening :jump:

This is why I'm not a scientist...

If it uses accelerometers and you're travelling at a pure and constant 60mph, how can it know how fast you're going since you're neither accelerating nor decelerating? :grin:

Also, thanks Bazza - this post made me decide to get an iphone +++

If your at 60mph constant it knows your not gaining or losing speed because acceleration is zero. If you slow down your acceleration becomes negative.

You cannot change speed without some form of acceleration, positive or negative.

Get those Calculus books out.

If your at 60mph constant it knows your not gaining or losing speed because acceleration is zero. If you slow down your acceleration becomes negative.

You cannot change speed without some form of acceleration, positive or negative.

Get those Calculus books out.

I suppose my point was if the exercise started at 60mph then how would it know, but if it can remember and its just worked out that its just hit 60 then it makes more sense :roflmao:

On a related but slightly more track orientated vein (and for Nokia S60 based phone users only). Try RaceChrono - The GPS Lap Timer. It's a cracking piece of software that will plot race circuits and give you lap times/sector times, lap on lap analysis, acceleration tests etc. The current version also has built in support for data capture via OBDII ports. Quite a few tracks are already available for download so no initial plotting required. Data can even be exported and used for video overlays. Best of all, it's free!

Then you might be lucky with the 2.1 software about to be launched, if it retro fixes but rumors were it was the car manufacturers that receive software updates for their interfaces from Apple, rather than fixing the phone/pods as they are effectively moving forward and the car manufactures get carried along the way, but in America a lot of people are downgrading because of the loss of functionality. Might make Apple revise there strategy, but I doubt it :grin:

that rumour is bollox. it doesnt work like that. its to do with bluetooth specifications and errors in firmware. they dont work together, they just both follow the spec (theoretically)

obviously either the car maker or the phone maker or both has bugs.

Well version 1.x has worked seemlessly with iDrive, as soon as I upgraded to v2.0 (firstly with my old iPhone, now with a 3G) it only handles calls and shows the signal meter.... no contacts.

I'm a huge Apple fan, but this time I think they released v2.0 without testing it very well... not the only bugs in it, it crashes frequently too.

:ffs:

Anyway, back on topic, I recon the iPhone snap-in cradle will be ideal for holding the phone while testing my 0-60 times tomorrow :)