A4 B6 Retrofit MFSW, Cruise & Trip

sjnathan

Hi All,

I've just bought myself an 05 plate A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-line and am planning on doing a few upgrades....

I've read a few posts regarding the possibility of installing Cruise and the Trip Computer stalk and so i just wanted to clarify a few bits if possible...

If i get a MultiFunction Steering Wheel, Cruise stalk, Trip Stalk, lower cowling, do i still need a SCSM (what is an SCSM)?

Does anyone have any part numbers to hand and also the best place to buy them from (cheapest) :-)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Simon.

How did you find out if your SCSM was the right version or not, presumably part numbers?

Yes, pulled off the part number (the suffix letters are the important bit) with VAG-COM and compared that with the part numbers and option codes on ETKA.

Then I tried recoding it to see if it would take the cruise coding - when the coding wouldn't take then I knew it needed updating (if the coding took but produced a fault code then the module I had would have been OK).

Hi Simon,

I recently completed this retrofit (not the MFSW, but the Cruise and DIS). Here are the part numbers for the parts I had to buy:

Cruise stalk (4E0 953 521 4PK) £21.20+ vat

Steering wheel Control Module (8E0 953 549 N / 8E0 953 549 P) £95.32 +vat

Screws x2 (N 909 068 02) 4p +vat

These 3 can now be bought as a kit for about £95 +vat. Only worth it of course if you do need the new SCSM, otherwise just buy the stalk and screws. Best way to check is to use VAGCOM to scan the module number - if it's "8E0 953 549 F" then you DO need a new one. Don't bother asking Audi to check against your Reg No. cos they tend to tell you the CURRENT replacement part no., not the original, so often get it wrong). As a last resort, take off the steering wheel and have a look at the sticker on the part!

Trim (8E0 953 512 P) £22.15+ vat

Get whoever you buy it from to colour match this against your VIN

Saloon DIS wiper stalk (4E0 953 503 B 4PK) £57.90+vat

Pin one ground wire (000-979-009) £1.12+vat

Washer sensor 7M0 919 376 (about £6)

I bought them from Vagparts.com (except for the washer sensor which I forgot to order so got it from Audi). As far as I'm aware, unless you have the RNS-E satnav system then the MFSW is pretty useless - controls stereo volume and that's about it - not worth the money in my opinion. I could be wrong though :grin:

There's loads of info on doing the install on the web, including on this forum. I found the various coding steps took a bit of working out though, so I put together the following guide, if it's any use:

Audi A4 DIS / Cruise Control Retrofit VAGCOM Coding

Cheers,

Ade

Hi Ade,

Superb, thanks for putting all this info together for me in a single post, much appreciated. Looks like i need to find out what i have at the moment then...

As for the MFSW, i thought it did more than the stereo (i currently have the BOSE Symphony) and so if this isn't the case then i agree with you, not worth it, just do the 2 stalks (Cruise & DIS) and take it from there.

Thanks again

Simon.

As for the MFSW, i thought it did more than the stereo (i currently have the BOSE Symphony) and so if this isn't the case then i agree with you, not worth it

I read the following on the website of a retrofitting company, re the Audi A4 B6 MFSW:

"Please note: You will need the RNS-E Sat Nav for the MFSW to function properly in this vehicle. otherwise only the volume control will work."

Please don't take my word for it, as I don't have one and have not seen one in use!

Cheers,

Ade

Thanks for that extra bit on info.

Just to check, which car do you have i.e. is it around an 05 plate B6 etc...?

Cheers

It's a 1.8T Sport. It's only a 53 plate, but is still a B6. If you're uncertain about the parts being the same then, if you do go with VagParts, I found them to be pretty good as far as making sure you get the correct bits. They are not the fastest for delivery, but then I think that is partly to do with them buying in bulk from Germany and is how they can offer low prices.

If you do go with them, one word of advice though - check that they will use a carrier that, should you not be home when they deliver, your ~£200 worth of kit is not just left sat on your porch!

Ade

Feck me, he knows how to charge! Not bad to say he probably nicked most of the information from forums. I should have set up doing it myself!

Before I decided to dive in and go for the DIY retrofit I was seriously considering using this place - it was one of the cheapest I found for the cruise retrofit, but what really put me off was the £125 price tag to perform the DIS install at the same time (a process which took me about 3 minutes whilst I was doing the retrofit).

In the end I'm glad I chose to do it - cruise+dis+washer sensor was going to cost me near to £500 and in the end, including the price of a vag com license, I ended up spending half that.