Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stooH

0-60 time, pleasantly surprised!

38 posts in this topic

First up let me say this is in no way a scientific test.

I was on the M6 toll yesterday with a work colleague in the car and thought it would be interesting to do a 0-60 dash from the toll booth as the road was nice and clear.

So with 2 people and luggage and laptops in the car and using the climate control trick to show the true mph - not the speedo (and i'm relatively happy that the climate control speed is correct) I managed 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and that included my passenger pressing go a fraction before I put my foot down.

I was quite impressed with that as the DSG GTI is supposedly 6.9 seconds. Has anyone got any properly measured times from a drag strip as i'm interested to see how they compare. +++

edit... and using the climate control trick to show the true mph - not the speedo

What's that? Impressive time, by the way. Must try mine....:grin:

one or two car magazine reviewers in the US have managed a 6.0 second sprint to 60...

My cars in for a service today so can't go and check it but I looking through the past threads I think this is right:

Press and hold the Econ button and the top right rectangualr button in the air settings section, use the passenger temp to select 019 in the left display, and then use the fan button to select 1 and you will then see your speed in MPH on the drivers side temperature display.

Give it a go and let me know how you get on I think this is correct.

There's a whole bunch of information you can display on this I found a couple of lists when poking around in the past but my old links don't work since the upgrade. Speed in kph is 19-0 I think

Cheers, stooH. I'll try it this weekend +++

I managed 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and that included my passenger pressing go a fraction before I put my foot down.

I was quite impressed with that as the DSG GTI is supposedly 6.9 seconds. Has anyone got any properly measured times from a drag strip as i'm interested to see how they compare. +++

:grin: isn't the Golf's speedo notoriously inaccurate? ;)

6.2??? Thought it could do the ton in that time.....

one or two car magazine reviewers in the US have managed a 6.0 second sprint to 60...

However you do have to be slightly careful with US performance stats as they test with a single driver (usually an anorexic jockey) and about 2 mile's worth of fuel. Well, not quite :) but they don't always follow the UK norm of two up with a full tank.

Edited by D1MAC

:grin: isn't the Golf's speedo notoriously inaccurate? ;)

Good point; it would be nearer the 5.2 :P

Good point; it would be nearer the 5.2 :P

Sounds a bit optimistic for 0-100, but with a bit of practice I'm sure the GTI can do it...

Sounds a bit optimistic for 0-100, but with a bit of practice I'm sure the GTI can do it...

only optimistic if you have a manual... :)

....Two words: Santa Pod.

:grin: you want to take on the soot chucker at the Pod? :eclipse:

:grin: you want to take on the soot chucker at the Pod? :eclipse:

Soot against tuned 4-pot turbo petrol?....if only I lived down south still..... :P:grin: Now, now boys, let's not start a fuel-type war....;)

only optimistic if you have a manual... :)

Unless it's a red one, in which case the type of transmission is totally irrelevant..... ;)

Soot against tuned 4-pot turbo petrol?....if only I lived down south still..... :P:grin: Now, now boys, let's not start a fuel-type war....;)

:grin: noooooooooo, I want a fuel war....you can eat my soot (actually I don't have any soot) :roflmao:

....I wasn't laying down any challenges but just trying to point out that somewhere like Santa Pod should be a more accurate measure of the 0-60 time.

....I wasn't laying down any challenges but just trying to point out that somewhere like Santa Pod should be a more accurate measure of the 0-60 time.

Sounds like a gauntlet's been thrown down to me.... :grin:

Let's do it !

Sounds like a gauntlet's been thrown down to me.... :grin:

Let's do it !

Why humiliate yourself? :grin:

Why humiliate yourself? :grin:

I like a person who's optimistic! :lol:

I like a person who's optimistic! :lol:

Are you disputing the FACT that the GTI is the fastest car in the world?

Are you disputing the FACT that the GTI is the fastest car in the world?

I'd never suggest such a thing, everyone knows RED GTi's are the fastest cars in the world :coffee:

:grin: ...uh oh sounds like someone backing out now? could it be you are losing faith that the GTI is the fastest car in the world? :P:roflmao:

:grin: ...uh oh sounds like someone backing out now? could it be you are losing faith that the GTI is the fastest car in the world? :P:roflmao:

I thought it was the 2nd fastest..... ;)