Just had a call from CarData - SCAM!!

PhilGT

Hi all,

As you may have read from another of my posts Im looking to purchase a GTI. Subsequently my MK5 GT TDI has been for sale for the past week on auto trader and ebay. I had a call yesterday from this girl Lisa from Car Data. They wanted me to pay 99 quid as they 'had lined up buyers in my area' for my car and would aim to sell it in 7 days!! At this point I was a bit wary and told the girl I would have a think about it and for her to call me back today. I did this to give me time to google their name and see. Try it for yourselves and you will see its nothing but a scam and also reports of people who unfortunately gave them money!! Its a discrace.

So, today I prepared for her call. I located a number of articles online and printed them out to have as reference for her phone call. I also recorded my phone call which I am hoping to put online on youtube for you all to listen to. One such article I used was from the Daily Mirror, they had heard about car data scams so bought a Lada for 50 quid, a complete banger of a thing. They put it on auto trader for £3000. Of course no-one phoned apart from cardata who subsequently told them they had buyers lined up for it!!!

I am discusted that companies can get away with this. I intend to report this to watchdog and also fair trading. About 15 mins ago I had the call back from Lisa. I seemed all interested and proceded to question the information she had about my car. All she knew was that it was a Golf. No info at all on my extras, leather, cd changer etc. I then asked her who the people in Northern Ireland were that had expressed an interest. Answer: the computer tells us. All a load of rubbish. I then asked her if she would be able to help me sell my wifes Alfa Romeo Starlet for 15 grand. She said no problem. As we all know its a Toyota Starlet but before I broke the news that there was no such car she proceded to tell me that the company have 28 yrs experience and that as it was an alpha romeo it would sell well. 28 yrs experience you would think their employees would know their cars.

I went on to explain that in the past 24 hours I had researched her company. Won't bore you but went through loads of complaints I had found. She tried to fob me off everytime I came at her with proof its all a scam.

Simply to warn you all - they wanted 100 quid from me to do nothing. I am reporting it to as many trading standards as I can.

PHONE CALL NOW ONLINE!!!

Edited by PhilGT
ADDITION

I got so bored of scammers and "buyer matching database companies" calling me that I added this to the end of the ad for the last car I advertised:

----Traders and Advertisers Please Note------

No canvassers please. No advertisers, no brokers, no buyer matching services that have customers waiting for this exact specification of car. Please don't ask to send me e-mails listing buyers in my area. I do not want to advertise the car elsewhere, no matter how big your readership. If you are shipping the car overseas, that's fine, but please don't send me a bank draft for more than the car is worth and ask me to pay the balance to your "shipping agent" when he comes to collect. I'm not going to fall for that one. I've tried as best I can to explain this, but in short, if you aren't actually interested in buying this car yourself, don't waste your time or mine. If you are a private or trade BUYER, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

One "company" kept on calling, until on the fourth or fifth occasion I said "Look, you keep calling me, and I keep telling you I'm not interested. If you call again I'll-" and he interrupted me and said "Yeah, what are you going to do, faggot?" and then launched into a torrent of blush-inducing swearage. Which put me in my place, and I immediately placed an order with them. Oh, hang on, no I didn't. :ffs:

i am one of the sad gits that actually got done!!..

I was selling my car about 7 years ago, and the sales pitch sounded really good, and i had never heard of them, so parted with my £75. and of course i sold it through autotrader not cardata.

A few years later i was selling another car, and got the call, and i told them, if you sell my car, on completion i will give you £150, they didnt want to know!.. weird!!

He got REALLY arsey with me, and hung up the phone!! pr**k!!

Such a scam, but donuts like me (back then) sign up, they make a killing without doing anything!

A few years later i was selling another car, and got the call, and i told them, if you sell my car, on completion i will give you £150, they didnt want to know!.. weird!!

Nice one! +++

Excellent call Phil. Well done!

Funney how Cardata have so many buyers when I've never heard of their website!

I just had a call from vehicleworldservices. I hate these companies calling me, complete waste of time!

They tried to tell me they were calling on behalf of private buyer! Gave them a fake email address and hung up!

Edited by Gemmzl

Last year I got a call from Motormarketuk saying they had several buyers lined up for my gsxr750 that I was selling. Can't believe I did this but I paid 80 quid to them. Didn't hear anything for two weeks so called back and got nothing but chavs with attitute telling me its too late. Spoke to trading standards and they eventually said the only way to get the money back was through small claims court. I felt like such a fool.