Spider diesel tuning

Cappy

There's quite a few BMW diesel engines which have them via after market.

The 2.0d goes from 163 to 205 bhp and the 2.3d goes from 205 to 260 bhp.

The reports I've read suggest they take a few miles (100 or so) to fully teach the management unit the new code, but once done the £400 odd is a fantastic method of adding 20-25% more power to a diesel car.

Gizze here at TSN runs one and has done so over a couple of diesel cars.

I have been very impressed with them, not as good as a real remap, not performance wise but because they increase the fuel pressure on the common rail, where as a remap will increase the amount of fuel from the injectors and increase boost on the turbo (if done properly). Performance wise it is very impressive, I had one on the 120d and the 320d and it has made a massive difference.

If you speak to Mike ask him if they can still honour the £300 forum offer. +++

cheers guys.. I have just ordered one for my CLS.

sounds like it should be a lot of fun and with their adaptive scan.. they seem a bit more advanced than the regular tuning boxes.

Main thing I liked about this box was the free re-map if you change cars!

Amit

• 4 months later...
Any product which can be re-used on your next car is interesting. Most of the handheld remap products (my bluefin, ST30, Celtic tuning one) offer this for little or no fee.

You cannot re-use handheld flashers...

Immobiliser coding will differ, and checksumms/software versions will differ. If you try to flash your next car with the handheld DIY flasher your car won't start

I had a Dragon Digital tuning box on my 1.9pd Skoda, and it was fantastic, made a huge difference to the performance, and the car went on to complete astronomical mileage with no adverse effects.

Had a Bluefin map on my ST and to be frank, it was crap, barely any extra power, juddering from the dual mass flywheel, and now I've sold the car, the handset is useless.

Will be ordering a Roveron tuning box for my Galaxy at some point, as pound for pound, you just cant beat them, still have my tuning box for the Skoda which I need to get on E-bay and recover some of the outlay, sadly the Bluefin handset (despite costing twice as much) is fit only for the dustbin.

I had a Dragon Digital tuning box on my 1.9pd Skoda, and it was fantastic, made a huge difference to the performance, and the car went on to complete astronomical mileage with no adverse effects.

Had a Bluefin map on my ST and to be frank, it was crap, barely any extra power, juddering from the dual mass flywheel, and now I've sold the car, the handset is useless.

Will be ordering a Roveron tuning box for my Galaxy at some point, as pound for pound, you just cant beat them, still have my tuning box for the Skoda which I need to get on E-bay and recover some of the outlay, sadly the Bluefin handset (despite costing twice as much) is fit only for the dustbin.

There is alot of different remaps out there... I am yet to have customer choose to keep their tuning box over our remap. We see the results on the dyno back to back, and boxes are well behind good software

Plus, with DPF's now fitted to diesels, injecting more diesel with no accurate ECU control is asking for emissions lights

Immobiliser coding will differ, and checksumms/software versions will differ. If you try to flash your next car with the handheld DIY flasher your car won't start

You can reuse the ST3. +++ Admittedly you have to buy a new map(s) for the new car, but it's not obsolete by any means.

You can reuse the ST3. +++ Admittedly you have to buy a new map(s) for the new car, but it's not obsolete by any means.

Yes, sorry, should have been clearer. The unit will need to be re-flashed with new software.

We have supplied some of the ST3's (actual name is Powergate) to our customers (they are made by a company Italy)

Hi, never said that. Thought that my comment made it clear that the unit would need the input of the manufacturer again (probably online). Sorry if my comment was not clear.

There is alot of different remaps out there... I am yet to have customer choose to keep their tuning box over our remap. We see the results on the dyno back to back, and boxes are well behind good software

Plus, with DPF's now fitted to diesels, injecting more diesel with no accurate ECU control is asking for emissions lights

Generally I would agree with you 100% that there is no substitute for a proper re-map, however, we did a rolling road day on the ST drivers forum, with various re-mapped cars from Superchips, custom mappers etc, and the car that returned the highest bhp figure, with the least smoke, and ran the sweetest with the smoothest graphs, had nothing other than a tuning box on it, set at half it's potential!

I realise that is unusual in the tuning world, and perhaps unique to the Mondeo ST TDCi, but for me, the tuning box is the ideal compromise, as I change cars so often, a 'proper' re-map on every car would be money down the drain.

With the tuning box, I get good results for my money, which I can them get most of back when I sell.

I can only add my 2 Pee, I have remapped ALL my cars, that is untill I got the P-Tronic box fitted to my 635DS, I transfered it to my X635D it took two mins, performance is greatly increased on both cars (the engines are same) and economy slightly better no issues with fueling and or fault lights coming on, NO problems with stealers asking about whats been fitted or tampered with on the car, remaps are great but you can't move from car to car or take them off at service times.

Edited by Golfer

• 1 month later...

Around a couple of hundred quid usually.

Back to the subject point (if anyone is still interested!), I'm sure the Spider product is as decent as everyone says it is, but their customer service is dreadful. I bought one second hand and needed it coding for my car. Sent it off after receiving confirmation that it could be done and the fee involved, then the package was refused by Spider and went off into the Royal Mail "don't know what to do with it" department. Spider "forgot" to tell me I needed to put a returns code on my package as they don't accept any packages in the post without one. Handy.

Loads of calls to them - engaged.

Messages taken - not returned.

Call backs promised - never got one.

When I did get hold of the right person, we ended up having a pointless "nothing I can do about it mate" conversation which got on my goat, then he hung up on me. Then pretended not to be there when I called back.

Now got it back from Royal Mail 6 weeks after I sent it (luckily), but have decided to go back to a petrol car so if anyone wants a Spider then let me know!

Couldn't try and sell it on TSN without letting you know what I think of the shower of sh1t they call service.

Cheers

Ben

What kind of company doesn't accept post addressed to them??? It contained all my contact details inside, the original email I sent them - basically everything they needed.

But - if no return code, no accept. It was only because I sent it recorded that I knew it hadn't been delivered - otherwise I'd have had no idea.

Ho hum.

New one next week with any luck, being messed around by our funding friends who after 2 weeks decided they only want to lend based on unrealistic vehicle values!

Cheers

Ben

I reckon they are fecked mate, they wanted to see a set of accounts before lending, gave them last years accounts and the profit and loss sheet for April through to end of December and they said they needed a full set drawn up.

Sod that to borrow for one car!

We have put hundreds of thousands through them over the last 8 years and currently only have a 118d and 730d funded with them which is the least we have had for years. So a little annoying!

Edited by gizze

• 2 weeks later...

Someone experimented a Steinbauer box? For diesel common rail, this kit does not increase rail pressure nor boost pressure and are suitable with DPF because there is a connection to the accelerator wire. In opposite, Speed-Buster box multichannel increases both, although controls temperature of exhaust gases to protect DPF. In the middle, we can find P-Tronic, Spider, V-tech boxes which increase slightly rail pressure but with multi-ignition maps there is no problem with DPF.

All those brands are good? All reliable?

What´s your opinion? Thanks