Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
audi_novice

Stereo replacement

4 posts in this topic

Morning all,

I have an 1998 A3 with the full bose setup. I would like to change the current concert tape deck stereo as its a bit dated. I am thinking of putting in a Pioneer stereo, I have the fascia adapters,, do i need anything else?

There is yes. Plenty.

I fitted an Alpine to my A6 with Bose setup for rear speakers. Here's a list of issues you could face.

1. Facia adapter, but you already have that one covered (that's the easy one ;) ).

2. Antenna amplifier, If your antenna has an amplifier you will need an adapter to provide power to it once you've removed the concert unit. It's basically a de-coupler that seperates the rf (Radio Frequency) for the radio receiver circuits and DC (Direct Current) used to power the aerial amp.

3. Bose amp harness adaptor, These interface your new stereo with the Bose amp. However, I ended up bypassing my bose amp completely because of loud thudding noises every time a button was pressed. Audi and Alpine couldn't help but once I bypassed it all was fine.

4. ISO harness adaptor, to interface the new stereo with the car.

5. Steering controls, you'll lose these unless you stereo manufacurer can provide another interface unit (which is expensive) I bought one, it didn't work, had it exchanged, that didn't work either so I sent it back for a £70 refund! Now I live without it.

I found Nexxia Audio Solutions - Perfect Solutions for Quality Sound to be very helpful. They have guides to help you with what you'll need. You can also e-mail them. Prices are reasonable too. Good luck.

I've just done the same thing. Replaced my standard Audi concert stereo with a Pioneer DEH-600BT. The wiring was a bit tricky because the rear speakers run off the BOSE amp. I had to strip the blue remote wire and connect it to the adaptor in order to turn the amp on which in turn gets the speakers working. I installed a JBL amp and sub too, which wasn't too hard. Only issue now is my remote central locking is not working. New battery installed and checked all the fuses. I can only think that the 2 adaptors that I've not utilised are the cause. The one was a small brown 2 prong connector, probably for the display unit, the other a large red connector but with only a single wire connected to it. I'm a bit puzzled by it.

Any ideas gents?

Are you shorting out your "K" line on the wiring loom with the new stereo?