First Test Drive....

RedRobin

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Red,

Did you test the Audio on the Scirocco? any improvement on the Golf Gti? My only complaint about my Golf is the awful stock system and speaker positioning.

....I'm afraid I didn't. I asked my passenger if the SatNav was working and he switched it on to find that no discs had been loaded yet (car had only done 38 miles when I got hold of it). I promptly asked him to switch off the radio - I don't like to hear any music or radio while I'm driving. The only time I listen to music in the car is if I'm parked up waiting and I don't bother with radio anywhere.

I noticed that the speakers in the front doors looked tiny but they may have been just the tweeters. The brochure says it has Dynaudio 8-channel digital amp delivering 300w through 8 high performance speakers.

HTH +++

Yes the acoustic engineer at VW did not just play toss the speaker grill at the door panel game this time. He still has little idea but at least he has got it a little better this time round. I still think he must have been on holiday when the mk5 was designed and let the stylist decide. Also dumping the blaupunkt sourced headunit has helped.

Put it this way they could not have made it worse from an acoustic point of view lol.

Edited by Snoopy

I was shown one the other day at my dealers and although i wanted to like it i didn't really.

I couldn't help thinking it looked a bit Ford Puma'ish from some angles. Particularly the front 3/4 view. I didn't really like the wheels or the interior either and the fact it has less practicality and the same performance as the GTI left feeling that 'for that reason im out'

I am sure its a good drive though..

....Driver's reactions to the new 'Rocco are suggesting it's a bit of a Marmite car.

It's not a 'girlie' car nor a 'hairdresser's' car but it would make an excellent wifey's car or professional woman's car. But a typical wifey would probably prefer an Eos.

It has been marketed by VW as strongly related to the GTI but it's suffering as a result imo.

However, just because the likes of us aren't so keen, it doesn't mean it won't be a success.

...It'll be interesting to read your thoughts afterwards. Are you considering buying one? +++

Been following this Thread - good write up Robin too, it's been useful to get an overall picture on how VW enthusiasts view this new "coupe" model.

MrsTP has an Eos (2.0 TFSi) and we're taking a test drive of the new Scirocco next weekend. For my mind, I want to see how the car drives and MrsTP wants to see whether the panoramic sunroof is enough to tempt her away from the hard-top Eos. With the weather this summer, it's hardly been down ! Will report back. +++

....Hi TP - And it's going to be interesting to hear how the 'Rocco compares with the Eos.

I'm not into open tops at all (I actually don't like them for myself - Long hair and chewing-gum don't mix!) but I have been very impressed with them when been in fast company on the road and they look very good in your rear view mirror - Meaning literally and not a brag about leaving them behind. In fact the last one I saw was giving chase with a BMW on the M27 - I was already cruising at 70-80 and wasn't going to join in as they sped away, even though momentarily tempted! They were into licence losing territory.

I enjoyed reading your write up / first impressions Robin.

I just can't help noticing the gap in the wheel arches now. This totally spoils the look. I can't understand why VW have allowed this.

I fall into the category of "really want to like it, appreciate it and respect it but at the moment not enough to fall in love with it"!

Drop the ride height, throw on some proper 20" 'Carlos Fandango's' and I might just....maybe :grin:

Been following this Thread - good write up Robin too, it's been useful to get an overall picture on how VW enthusiasts view this new "coupe" model.

MrsTP has an Eos (2.0 TFSi) and we're taking a test drive of the new Scirocco next weekend. For my mind, I want to see how the car drives and MrsTP wants to see whether the panoramic sunroof is enough to tempt her away from the hard-top Eos. With the weather this summer, it's hardly been down ! Will report back. +++

Panoramic roof is pretty poor imo, it's just a big tilt only sunroof that only opens about an inch from the roof. Its only real use is that it brings a bit more light into the cabin, something one with black interior does really need.

The Dynaudio is very good, a must have if you like audio in cars.

The Dynaudio is very good, a must have if you like audio in cars.

Morning Matt !! Finding real difficulty is choosing the ideal spec for the Scirocco. Ticking too many boxes makes it quite an expensive new car. Gut feeling is to wait until the Spring then pick up a cancelled order or ex-Demo ! You might want to PM me the spec of any cars coming your way!! +++