80Gb PS3 out

danksy

I think it's a damn shame it's not backward compatible.

My PS2 recently died and I hummed and harred for a long time about whether to move up to a PS3 or get another PS2. I couldn't bare to see all those great games be unplayable again (I love a bit of 'retro' gaming, even back to some PS1 stuff) so I just ordered another PS2.

I think they're missing a trick.

Worms and the first Driver game are two of my favourite PS1 games!! I've got one in the attic and its worth keeping just for those two :D

The first driver game is available for download from the PSN store, and it wont be emulated like early PS3's would do.

The original 60GB release console was backward compatible. This was because it has the processing chip from a PS2 built in, one of the reasons it cost so much. Cutting down the size of the Hard Drive to 40GB and doing away with backward compatibility meant it could be sold cheaper.

The 80GB is a pointless option for anyone who already has a PS3. You can buy a 250GB hard drive for around 45 quid, which even a fish could install, and a Dualshock 3 controller for 35 quid.

The US/Jap PS3 had the PS2 chip but the uk versions of the 60gb had software emulation not hardware, there was a big uproar about this at release.

This of course makes it even weirder that they dropped backwards compatability in later versions unless there is a commercial driver to do this.

other than them chucking in a dualshock controller, the only real reason I could see for the 80Gb PS3 is that 40Gb drives are harder to get.

As has been said, you can upgrade to a 250Gb drive for ~£50

Now the 500Gb drives are out for notebooks, watch the price of the 250 and 320s drop.

The there are the solid state drives... give it a few years and they will be standard (and cheap)

This of course makes it even weirder that they dropped backwards compatability in later versions unless there is a commercial driver to do this.

Industry opinion seems to be that they dropped backwards compatability completely to get people buying PS3 games rather than PS2 releases. With 100+ million in the market the PS2 is doing very well and still selling and getting new releases, indeed it frequently outsells both PS3 and 360. Sony could probably have run it longer but felt the need to get PS3 out due to Microsoft launching 360 early.

Incidentally the hardware and software manufacturers absolutely hate the trade in second hand games, hence their truculence regarding BC. Now they have consoles capable of receiving downloaded content they would rather you buy back all the games you already have in digital format (e.g. XBox Originals).